Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey.

Is it incorrect to say "three points define a plane" and correct to say "three points which do not lie on the same line define a plane"?

I think this is the case yet I keep on reading in my textbook that three points define a plane. I know this may appear pedantic but this is an important distinction to make.

Thank-you.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    You're right. Textbooks often say things like "three points" when they mean "three non-collinear points", but good on you for spotting it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magu1re)
    Hey.

Is it incorrect to say "three points define a plane" and correct to say "three points which do not lie on the same line define a plane"?

I think this is the case yet I keep on reading in my textbook that three points define a plane. I know this may appear pedantic but this is an important distinction to make.

Thank-you.
    Your definition is a little less vague than theirs; they have missed an important point by not saying that. It is true that they must not lie on the same line otherwise you would have an infinite number of planes with these three points lying on them rather than a uniquely defined one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    Your definition is a little less vague than theirs; they have missed an important point by not saying that. It is true that they must not lie on the same line otherwise you would have an infinite number of planes with these three points lying on them rather than a uniquely defined one.
    A little less vague! Haha

I was not really making a definition as such; just checking a statement was true. :P And I'd have asked you but you weren't on FB!

ReputationRep:
    Farhan you often sound too arrogant when giving advice. You should try to sound less arrogant, it will get you further. I don't wish to offend you by saying this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by methusaleh)
    Farhan you often sound too arrogant when giving advice. You should try to sound less arrogant, it will get you further. I don't wish to offend you by saying this.
    Could I ask you to PM me what has given you the impression that I'm arrogant?

I'm not offended, just surprised that's all. I've made almost 5000 posts on TSR to date and no one has ever mentioned this before, nor has this been mentioned in day-to-day conversation.

ReputationRep:
    Could I ask you to PM me what has given you the impression that I'm arrogant?

I'm not offended, just surprised that's all. I've made almost 5000 posts on TSR to date and no one has ever mentioned this before, nor has this been mentioned in day-to-day conversation.
    Perhaps I'm being over-sensitive, but its just the impression I get of your character. I think you post useful stuff, but I think what you post/say would be better appreciated if you posted less cockily.

I suppose its also hard to tell whether some1 is arrogant from behind a computer screen.

Again, no offence is intended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by methusaleh)
    Perhaps I'm being over-sensitive, but its just the impression I get of your character. I think you post useful stuff, but I think what you post/say would be better appreciated if you posted less cockily.

Again, no offence is intended.
    I guess different people interpret others in different ways. You shouldn't really be judging my character from just reading my posts, though. My apologies if any of my posts have caused you to become irritated with my style of posting help on here.

I don't think I've been "cocky" in this thread, at all. Please feel free to tell me what part of my post was cocky.

We are now bumping a thread that has already been solved to the top of the maths forum, can we move over to PM? :p:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.