Turn on thread page Beta

Soon to be going to Post 16 so I'm in the process of choosing my A-Levels.

I really want to do Business Studies, however I've heard it's seen as being a soft subject. I'd do anything to be an Airline Pilot when I'm older, but being an Airline Pilot really needs cash, and to get that cash I was thinking about going into Business.

Oh, and I'm sure one person is going to say: 'if you want to be a Pilot you MUST get TOP grades in Physics AND Maths' - I've heard this countless times before, but after speaking to several current pilots, the director at Oxford Aviation Academy and generally scouting round and doing my homework, I know this isn't the case. So I'm not basing my A-Level choices around the fact that I want to be a pilot. $$$ is needed more than Math/Physics A-Levels...unfortunately. :mad:

All this aside, I was thinking about picking:

• Business Studies
    • Physics
    • English Language
    • Sociology

I'm only picking Sociology really because I have to, this is down to the blocking system the Post 16 I'll be attending have. I've read up about it and heard from people already studying it, and it seems pretty interesting so I think I'll enjoy it, I just don't want it to be irrelevant to me. :confused:

After the first year, I will drop one subject and then carry 3 onto A2.

I could maybe swop Physics for Geography, which I may consider because I'm not too sure if I'm biting off more than I can chew when it comes to Physics, however I'm a firm believer in picking at least one science. So I'm not sure if I should carry on with Physics or chose Geography instead but then I won't have a science? :confused:

And I refuse to pick Maths under any circumstances. I'd be pulling my hair out with it, and I can imagine myself not concentrating on any of my other subjects if I chose Maths.

Just wondering what your opinions are.

Thank you! :-)

ReputationRep:
    These are really, really good subject choices, I know that Physics is really, really hard to do, my friend is doing it and it is eating him alive. So I would only go for that if you are really confident you can do it. I wouldn't worry at all about Sociology being irrelevant, I'm doing Psychology but I'm going into English at uni and going into book publishing after that and it has nothing to do with either but like you said, I thought I was going to enjoy and I really, really do so I don't regret taking it at all. I would absolutely go for it because it is good to have A Levels that you really enjoy because it gets that little bit easier around exam times. I wouldn't be too worried about not having a science if you don't need it unless you think you really might enjoy having a science. And if that's the case but you want an easier one, try a BTEC because it has no exam?

ReputationRep:
    My opinion:

Physics at A level is quite maths heavy, so be warned. If you're put off by this, then going for geography is good. If you want to do a science but don't like maths, maybe biology?

Maybe consider economics instead of business studies? It is seen as the better alternative to business studies. And at a level there is no actual maths involved. Btw business studies isn't a direct route into business, I'd say economics would put you in better steed if I am honest.

English lit > English lang as well

Sociology shouldn't be too bad, it is a 4th a level anyway.

ReputationRep:
    For the very top Universities, they mostly advice/perfer you should study at least 2 traditional subjects which ranges from Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, English Literature, Geography, Philosophy, Economics & possible Govt & Politics.

In my opinion, if you do get the chance, I will advice you choose something along the lines of Geography, Economics (if you have the chance to pick it up as its > than business), Sociology & English language (Literaure if you want more challenge). You don't have to worry that the last 2 are not in the traditional list, they will be just fine.

Hope this helps you in anyway!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YingYang)
    My opinion:

Physics at A level is quite maths heavy, so be warned. If you're put off by this, then going for geography is good. If you want to do a science but don't like maths, maybe biology?

Maybe consider economics instead of business studies? It is seen as the better alternative to business studies. And at a level there is no actual maths involved. Btw business studies isn't a direct route into business, I'd say economics would put you in better steed if I am honest.

English lit > English lang as well

Sociology shouldn't be too bad, it is a 4th a level anyway.
    No it's not. The maths side of it is just simply substituting numbers into formulae and simply trigonometry. It's pretty easy.

ReputationRep:
    Do Maths instead of Sociology and Economics instead of Business Studies.

Just my 2¢

ReputationRep:
    If you're aiming for the top universities then I'd recommend swapping Language for Literature and Business Studies for Economics as they are considered more adequate preparation for university level study.

ReputationRep:
    don't do business unless it's a fifth a level.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.