Turn on thread page Beta

Importance of understanding the Pashtun tribal code & customs watch

ReputationRep:
    Bacha bazi tho...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by basketofsnakes)
    Bacha bazi tho...
    Whish is as a result of commanders in the Soviet and Civil wars being corrupted with their newfound power in post-war Afghanistan and the government doing nothing to stop it.

It hardly reflects the history of our people.

Also its a largely Persian phenomenon limted to the Tajik/Uzbek//Hazara North although it is spreading...

What respectable Pashtun would be caught doing Bacha Bazi?

ReputationRep:
    Also I think this thread is going off on a bit of a tangent.

I am not here to defend every little aspect of my culture.
    I would rather discuss and debate the War in Afghanistan and what would be the best solution taking into account what I wrote in the beginning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pukhtun)
    Yes indeed. There are still many problems in Afghanistan and the situation of women is one of them...However that is largely due to the Taliban. They may be Pashtuns but those in control are Arabs and wahabbists/deobandis. They distort what being Pashtun is all about and sadly many young Pashtuns follow them because of the foreign troops, little opportunities or through force.

They do not reflect our tradition.

I just gave reasons as to why someone like Anonymous-Mouse might think badly of our culture and that he should not regard our culture as having deep rooted barbarity in it.

edit: There was the story of that heroic woman who grabbed the dropped Afghan flag in a battle against the British and charged against the enemy British who were stunned by this act of bravery...... from a woman! She instantly raised the morale of the Afghan troops who were prevoiusly dying. I think they went on to win!....I can't remember which battle it was or who she was but she is a historic hero!

Our women are the best in the world.

eidt:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malalai_Anaa
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Maiwand
    I was talking about here in the UK to be honest. Both my parents were born in European countries so I suppose they're more understanding but there's a large pashtun presence here and some of the things other pashtun girls go through is horrible. Afghans from all tribes (Khattakks, Wardaks, people from Kabul, people from the border region of the Durand line) girls from so many varied places being 'honoured' in very strange ways. It highlights some form of underlying issue.
    Of course not all us pashtuns are like this, only a minority but significant enough to be a worry.

Edit: I saw your last post and agree with the tangent but by making your original point you must admit that these tangents are relevant to the whole concept of 'Pashtun tribal systems'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Dustinthewind*)
    I was talking about here in the UK to be honest. Both my parents were born in European countries so I suppose they're more understanding but there's a large pashtun presence here and some of the things other pashtun girls go through is horrible. Afghans from all tribes (Khattakks, Wardaks, people from Kabul, people from the border region of the Durand line) girls from so many varied places being 'honoured' in very strange ways. It highlights some form of underlying issue.
    Of course not all us pashtuns are like this, only a minority but significant enough to be a worry.

Edit: I saw your last post and agree with the tangent but by making your original point you must admit that these tangents are relevant to the whole concept of 'Pashtun tribal systems'
    I am from Wardak (and there isn't a tribe called Wardak ) infact I was born there and I have to agree with you that there may be a problem in the mindset of induviduals but I believe that is largely due to over 30 years of war that we have been exposed to. There have been many power vacuums there and so many opportunities for evil people to rise up. They inflict their evil and new babies are born into a society full of this.

I don't know, maybe it will have some sort of effet upon them as they grow up and they will think it is normal to do such terrible acts but I tell you now. A true Pukhtun would never be so stupid as to harm their wife. This is how I have been brought up and it is how my family have been brought up.

There are many issues in Afghanistan and we can only hope it gets better but it wasn't always like this

ReputationRep:
    To an extent. That riddle guy was just making sweeping generalisations that were not constructive at all. My main focus was to have a constructive discussion about why the West is failing in Afghanistan and the greater issues this war places upon the people.

ReputationRep:
    I am from Wardak (and there isn't a tribe called Wardak ) infact I was born there and I have to agree with you that there may be a problem in the mindset of induviduals but I believe that is largely due to over 30 years of war that we have been exposed to. There have been many power vacuums there and so many opportunities for evil people to rise up. They inflict their evil and new babies are born into a society full of this.

I don't know, maybe it will have some sort of effet upon them as they grow up and they will think it is normal to do such terrible acts but I tell you now. A true Pukhtun would never be so stupid as to harm their wife. This is how I have been brought up and it is how my family have been brought up.

There are many issues in Afghanistan and we can only hope it gets better but it wasn't always like this
    Meh I'm a Khattak I think mixed with some other tribe and a smidge of Hazara is all I know I know little about other tribes

I would agree with the war issue, but it's still an ingrained concept, even Afghans/Pashtuns or whatever on the other side ofthe Durand line have this same backwards mentality at times, I don't know maybe it's being so close to the border/ mountainous regions. I've never been to Afghanistan but having one set of grandparents born on one side and the other set on the other side (but then all migrating to Europe at like 14), I suppose I have a valid opinion on it. Especially factoring in having been back to the border regions on the nwfp side like twice.

But I accept you get my point. I accepted that a few posts ago it's just I'm so used to having to argue with Afghan men who refuse to see any wrong in the way women are treated

ReputationRep:
    I would agree with the war issue, but it's still an ingrained concept, even Afghans/Pashtuns or whatever on the other side ofthe Durand line have this same backwards mentality at times, I don't know maybe it's being so close to the border/ mountainous regions.
    Lol those evil mountains! Making us all backward!
    It is present, i'm not denying that. And there are reasons for it like us being a warrior race as I described on the first page and the war but then there are also people who are just plain idiots. They treat their women like dirt - but that is present in many cultures and can only be improved through huge changes to society (which most certainly won't happen over night). Afghanistan needs to improve itself. It cannot rely on foreign powers to do all the social engineering. With time if this conflict is ever resolved our women and their role in our society will be the envy of the world again - as they should be

I've never been to Afghanistan but having one set of grandparents born on one side and the other set on the other side (but then all migrating to Europe at like 14), I suppose I have a valid opinion on it. Especially factoring in having been back to the border regions on the nwfp side like twice.
    I was not questioning the validity of your opinion!
    I respect everyone's opinion here as long as its constructive.

Have you ever been to Pekhawar?

But I accept you get my point. I accepted that a few posts ago it's just I'm so used to having to argue with Afghan men who refuse to see any wrong in the way women are treated
    People who close their minds to anything that inconveniences their world view are the people who i'm talking about. Sometimes there's no reasoning with them but they are present in all cultures/walks of life. I do have sympathy for them

ReputationRep:
    Lol those evil mountains! Making us all backward!
    It is present, i'm not denying that. And there are reasons for it like us being a warrior race as I described on the first page and the war but then there are also people who are just plain idiots. They treat their women like dirt - but that is present in many cultures and can only be improved through huge changes to society (which most certainly won't happen over night). Afghanistan needs to improve itself. It cannot rely on foreign powers to do all the social engineering. With time if this conflict is ever resolved our women and their role in our society will be the envy of the world again - as they should be

I was not questioning the validity of your opinion!
    I respect everyone's opinion here as long as its constructive.

Have you ever been to Pekhawar?

People who close their minds to anything that inconveniences their world view are the people who i'm talking about. Sometimes there's no reasoning with them but they are present in all cultures/walks of life. I do have sympathy for them
    I know. I was just supporting my argument, it's an innate thing being an ex history student.

The airport Then we go on a 2/3 hour drive to get to our little border village place, as far as I can remember.

ReputationRep:
    My paternal side is of afridi and orakzai( Mullah khel) mixture though we trace our roots to arabs...

We are deviating here a bit.

ReputationRep:
    The airport Then we go on a 2/3 hour drive to get to our little border village place, as far as I can remember.
    Haha every Pukhtun has been to Pekhawar

You really need cross the Khyber into Afghanistan and take the Jalalabd-Kabul road.

The scenes there are honestly breathtaking and you will think the car will fall off the edge any minute as the road is so narrow and is on the side of a cliff.

..:moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    We are deviating here a bit.
    ...indeed lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.