Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by RobertWhite)
    I have to say, I don't go to Oxford but the town is AMAZING. There is LOADS to do there, many pubs/clubs, it is NOT in the middle of nowhere and there are again, many job opportunities! Believe me, if you go to Oxford you're very likely to get an internship somewhere. I have no idea where you get your information from.
    From total ignorance, presumably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    From total ignorance, presumably.
    I've been to Oxford University on a course; unlike you I presume

ReputationRep:
    they're not the best for anything. my grandparents would have liked me to go there, but they don't even offer a course I'm vaguely interested in, so sucks for them. Personally i don't like the "teaching" style at oxford, just a couple of hours a tuition a week, and do the rest yourself, in a lot of cases. no way i'd pay £9000 in the future, you're basically just paying to say you went to oxford/oxbridge.

it's just not for everyone, and they're not necessarily the elite. i'm far more advantaged doing the course i am now, than i would have been going to oxford, just so i could say i went there. and i wouldn't have got on well with the teaching style.

just bugs me when people think oxbridge are the only decent universities and the rest are inferior, it's just not the case, much of the time. yeah they're superior to some, but i don't think they're worth the reputation they have.

(Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    Haven't been there, but been to Cambridge (same thing) and know people who go there. How can a town with 153k people have a proper bar/club scene? And how could it possibly compare to the one of a megacity like London? Of course it is in the middle of nowhere, you need to use public transport forever to get anywhere or have a car. Small cities have few retail businesses and gastronomy, so the number of student jobs is limited, and the job/student ratio surely is very unfavourable.
    No, the towns of Cambridge and Oxford are not the same thing.

Yes, because the point of going to university is solely about bars and clubs.

Of course Oxford cannot compare with London! London is the freakin' capital city.

It is not in the middle of nowhere, in fact Oxford is easily accessible by walking and in fact there are restrictions with the use of cars in the city centre.

Oxford has an excellent finance system where you are not required to work during term time (i.e. there is financial help available), making that point void.

And what is this bull**** about the job/student ratio being unfavourable? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Oh really?
    Yes, really.

Ever heard of bops? There is something called "work hard, play hard".
    Doesn't work in the long-run.

Oxford has a system where you don't need to work during term time; essentially they give you the money so to speak. Also, Oxford has shorter terms = longer length of time for internship opportunities.
    If only there were enough firms to offer internships...

Fair enough, but don't insult Oxford when you know nothing about it.
    I know enough.

And where do you go?

Oh, London South Bank (!!!).

Before you insult other universities, why don't you take a look at your own university?
    Read the part in brackets at the end of my first post, halfwit.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Students from ANY university typically get internships in areas OUTSIDE their university town. Not all Oxford students are going to be creeping around Oxford City for a job... LONDON!

Doesn't work in the long-run.
    Eh? What makes you say that?

I could seriously insult the (lack of) work ethic at London South Bank, so don't tempt me.

University is not about "fun, fun, fun".

Yeah, because everyone stays at Oxford for their internships.

ReputationRep:
    im so academic, it's really quite freaky how obsessed you are with Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    Don't envy them too much. They're stuck for three to four years in a small, boring town in the middle of nowhere with no pub, bar, or club scene to speak of. There are no good shops, cinemas, or sports events there. Students need to to revise all day all week long and miss out on important parts of the university experience (partying, hanging out together). There are no part-time jobs or internship opportunities there, and all good employers are hundreds of miles away. I'd pick a top London school (Imperial, UCL, KCL, LSE, etc.) over Oxbridge any time (if I actually believed in differences between schools).
    You have no idea what it's actually like, there are pubs everywhere, every college will have it's own bar and there are a few clubs, not masses but enough. There are 1 or 2 cinemas.

No internship opportunities ? megalulz. probably one of the most targeted unis in the uk, and close enough to London to be able to go to assessment days there.

ReputationRep:
    Define "special", as, generally speaking, Oxbridge students are the crème de la crème.
    Harvard.

ReputationRep:
    Eh? What makes you say that?

I could seriously insult the (lack of) work ethic at London South Bank, so don't tempt me.

University is not about "fun, fun, fun".

Yeah, because everyone stays at Oxford for their internships.
    No.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by dioscuri)
    Why aspire to be that sort of middle class person. They're locked in to religion, domestic alcoholism and stopping their kids smoking as they try and be upper class.

All OXford means is that you were a hard worker from 14 to 18 and you could sound good for half an hour being interviewed. Jesus, pretty much everyone who gets in goes at 18-19, I don't think many people realise how young that is and therefore how unmeaningful that is when it comes to your working ability/intelligence.

Don't envy them too much. They're stuck for three to four years in a small, boring town in the middle of nowhere with no pub, bar, or club scene to speak of. There are no good shops, cinemas, or sports events there. Students need to to revise all day all week long and miss out on important parts of the university experience (partying, hanging out together). There are no part-time jobs or internship opportunities there, and all good employers are hundreds of miles away. I'd pick a top London school (Imperial, UCL, KCL, LSE, etc.) over Oxbridge any time (if I actually believed in differences between schools).
    Oh dear :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick Travis)
    Sorry, but I do. Maybe I wasn't clever enough to get in. Or maybe I just didn't work hard enough. However I would love to have gone to Oxford rather than to some mediocre institution. Yes, I know by mediocre I'm referring to a university that 80-90% of people aren't able to go to, but so what? It isn't the best. Oxford is for the elite and I wasn't there.

It's hard-wired into British culture - particularly amongst the middle classes - that only Oxbridge matters - other Universities are nothing special. That's not really an intellectual point (the British aren't that keen on brains) it's more about the beauty, history and cultivation that Oxford is supposed to possess. It's also about our perfectionism, we are quite hard on ourselves. Anything less than the best(?) is a bit pointless.

I reckon I would have been happy at Oxford, although the workload and some intimidatingly bright peers might have tested me to the limit. I'm easily infuriated by the very cerebral. Still at the time I wanted to go to some big city and have a crazy party for three years. A bit embarrassing now I think about it and a waste of three years. But you live and learn I guess.
    One of the best overall, but not for my course which is why i didn't want to apply.

And in terms of best, there's lots of American Universities that beat it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Redreynard)
    you do not think that being extremely clever is special?
    so what does impress you then?? very tall people???
    Special people do not impress me. Going to Oxford doesn't mea they are intelligent. Many idiots got traight As - A*. If being clever means secial, then millions of people would be special which makes it so common resulting in noone being special. lol

ReputationRep:
    i dont give a crap about oxford or cambridge for that matter...

(Original post by madders94)
    No.
    No to what?

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Oh dear :rofl:
    Exactly Goatherd, someone with no experience of Oxford is insulting it - and as you know, what he is saying is more or less untrue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NellGwynne)
    They have Dawkins. I suppose it' reason enough to feel a tad jealous.

Purely because of Philosophy lectures and so on.
    Oh God, that would be an hour of torture.

(Original post by street.lovin')
    Special people do not impress me. Going to Oxford doesn't mea they are intelligent. Many idiots got traight As - A*. If being clever means secial, then millions of people would be special which makes it so common resulting in noone being special. lol
    Straight A*/As does not mean you are guaranteed entry to Oxbridge, and neither is someone of "Oxbridge material" just by achieving those grades. Essentially you could say you do not need intelligence these days to achieve A*/As.

Also, many people have gained admission into Oxbridge without straight A*s/As.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.