Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    Haven't been there, but been to Cambridge (same thing) and know people who go there. How can a town with 153k people have a proper bar/club scene? And how could it possibly compare to the one of a megacity like London? Of course it is in the middle of nowhere, you need to use public transport forever to get anywhere or have a car. Small cities have few retail businesses and gastronomy, so the number of student jobs is limited, and the job/student ratio surely is very unfavourable.
    You have no idea about Cambridge. I live here for years and I have to say it is better than millions other town you will find in the UK.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Straight A*/As does not mean you are guaranteed entry to Oxbridge, and neither is someone of "Oxbridge material" just by achieving those grades. Essentially you could say you do not need intelligence these days to achieve A*/As.

Also, many people have gained admission into Oxbridge without straight A*s/As.
    True that. That's why I don't think they are special.

(Original post by street.lovin')
    True that. That's why I don't think they are special.
    They are. Oxbridge are famed for their interview system; it's to ensure only the best get in.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    They are. Oxbridge are famed for their interview system; it's to ensure only the best get in.
    I don't think so. They are clever enough to get into Oxford but I do not think they are special. Being clever doesn't mean special. However, I am not going to argue with you because there is really no point talking about university I don't even go to. I am not jealous of people who go to Oxbridge, they are clever but yeah... it doesn't mean they are more special than someone like me who goes to a lower ranked uni.

ReputationRep:
    Jealous of the university, not the students. Though you are what you make of yourself, not the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
    I'd only like to get into Oxford to please my father who went to Christ Church to read PPE against all the odds in coming from an incredibly deprived and rough area in the East End of London.

Having said that, I believe anyone who is completely dedicated to their subject and willing to put in massive amounts of hard work in going the extra mile will succeed in the selection process.

Not everyone that goes there is an academic genius or some sort of polymath as this thread seems to imply.

Fingers crossed though .

ReputationRep:
    Shut, 'im so academic'.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if trolling... Or just very stupid..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by joanna-eve)
    Totally agree. I live in Cambridge too (for part of the time anyway, it's a complicated family thing...) and the students I see in town just act like any other young adult or teenager: messing around, swearing, getting drunk etc. Except they tend to have posh accents too!
    However, Merriam Webster says special means being in some way superior , so technically superior intelligence would make them special.
    But going to Oxford doesn't mean they are special. So why OP should be jealous of Oxford students? They are intelligent and that but does being special even mean anything? If special = intelligence. Then, there are millions of intelligent people regardless of whether they go to Oxford or not.

And if you think about it relatively, I am more intelligent than many people at my college, I could just class myself as being special. So, using this logic, almost everybody would be special as they are being in some way superior. If everyone is special then they are all the same. And, being the same = no difference = noone is being special.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazelsaurus)
    Not sure if trolling... Or just very stupid..
    Looking at your sig: people put their grades in because this is a student forum, and academic achievement is a large part of that isn't it?

Anyway, putting that "witty" comment in your sig just makes you sound pretty stuck up tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealOG)
    Looking at your sig: people put their grades in because this is a student forum, and academic achievement is a large part of that isn't it?

Anyway, putting that "witty" comment in you sig just makes you sound pretty stuck up tbh.
    academic achievement is a big part, but I'm just trying to say that it doesn't make your point more valid than anyone else's by sticking it in your sig. as there's a part on the profile for it... and it's not ''witty'' at all..

ReputationRep:
    Eh? What makes you say that?

I could seriously insult the (lack of) work ethic at London South Bank, so don't tempt me.

University is not about "fun, fun, fun".
    Experience and observation makes me say that. In the long run, 'work hard, play hard' is impossible to maintain. Sooner or later, you'll have to settle for one. From what I have heard on here, you're around 15 or 16, so please believe someone almost twice your age.

Please do insult the university I am attending, I could not care less. I am getting out of it what I want, and am a top student - that's all I care about.

Yeah, because everyone stays at Oxford for their internships.
    Commuting to internships sucks. Have you ever done it?

ReputationRep:
    what is oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mf2004)
    You have no idea what it's actually like, there are pubs everywhere, every college will have it's own bar and there are a few clubs, not masses but enough. There are 1 or 2 cinemas.

No internship opportunities ? megalulz. probably one of the most targeted unis in the uk, and close enough to London to be able to go to assessment days there.
    Pubs are packed with tourists and overpriced. College bars get old quickly, and so do the few clubs there are. And what happens if I have a particular taste in music or films?

Of course you can get an internship (probably easier than at most other unis), but it will be somewhere else in the country. And that's annoying/costly.

ReputationRep:
    You have no idea about Cambridge. I live here for years and I have to say it is better than millions other town you will find in the UK.
    It sure is better than a lot of other towns in the UK (that is mainly to do with the UK being crap in general, but let's stick to the topic here): it does have low crime and unemployment rates, it's pretty green and quite clean, high percentage of academics, etc. But those are things that usually appeal to pensioners, not twens who move out from home from the first time and want to experience something. In a big city, there's just so much more to do, and it makes for a much more compelling experience overall.

ReputationRep:
    But going to Oxford doesn't mean they are special. So why OP should be jealous of Oxford students? They are intelligent and that but does being special even mean anything? If special = intelligence. Then, there are millions of intelligent people regardless of whether they go to Oxford or not.

And if you think about it relatively, I am more intelligent than many people at my college, I could just class myself as being special. So, using this logic, almost everybody would be special as they are being in some way superior. If everyone is special then they are all the same. And, being the same = no difference = noone is being special.
    OP shouldn't be jealous as being jealous gets you nowhere. Do your masters there if it means that much to you OP! I don't think that he should be jealous of their intelligence either as you can't make yourself more intelligent, that's like trying to make yourself have better spatial awareness - you can practice all you want but at the end of the day it's mainly genetic. I do agree though that special has pretty much lost its meaning these days and in some ways everyone could be considered special because of its loose meaning.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, really.

Doesn't work in the long-run.

If only there were enough firms to offer internships...

I know enough.

Read the part in brackets at the end of my first post, halfwit.
    and you're in a position to judge because......?

ah right.. because you have come to the extremely clever conclusion that you know more about oxbridge than im so academic? well congrats then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joanna-eve)
    Erm are you sure you've been to Cambridge, if that's the impression you got? I live there and I can assure you that the city is splitting at the seams with bars and restaurants! Practically nobody uses a car here as the city centre is quite compact so you can walk, but the modal transport is definitely bicycle. Having lived here my whole life I don't think I've ever driven into town! Although I do live in quite a central location Cambridge has lots of malls and shops, I split my time between two family homes (it's complicated) and my other home is in Basingstoke where people come from other towns to go shopping yet Cambridge has infinitely better shopping! Don't knock it before you live here, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else
    Umm, yeah, I am pretty sure it was Cambridge. Don't know where they are hiding all those bars and restaurants, and neither did my friend who studies there - but maybe we're just spoilt by London standards. You probably misunderstood me when I spoke about driving; I meant you need to drive when you want to get someone INTERESTING, i.e. not the Cambridge city centre, but a large city. I checked out a few shopping centres in CAM and was pretty underwhelmed - have you ever been to Westfield? I reckon if you compare it to Basingstoke, you'll sure love it.

ReputationRep:
    Pubs are packed with tourists and overpriced. College bars get old quickly, and so do the few clubs there are. And what happens if I have a particular taste in music or films?

Of course you can get an internship (probably easier than at most other unis), but it will be somewhere else in the country. And that's annoying/costly.
    Pubs aren't that badly priced. And I don't really know about music but films are pretty well catered for. There are four cinemas and then there's the Magdalen Film Society too.

Fair point about the internships though. But then most of the people there don't need to worry about costs anyway.

EDIT: Wait, were you talking about Cambridge? I've lost track. No, wait, it was Oxford.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

To each their own.

Someone like you probably suit to live in London. Not everywhere is going to be perfect. And you can get a lot of internships in Cambridge. It's just that millions of them are in London so people choose to do it in London. Once you became a student there you will know the particular place in the city that have what you want interms of pubs/music, if you get what I mean.

In terms of colleg bars, isn't that the same for every uni? And to be honest, Cambridge unviersity probably has a much better student union than many other unis will have. Cambridge is also a university town so the nature of the city will pretty much be adjusted according to the nature of the population (who mainly are students). It is definitely not as good as London, but you can't really compare anything to London. lol.

For the tourism and overpricing issue, yes there are lots of tourism. But that's probably the same for London or anywhere in the UK. And are you sure that everyone in the pubs you went into are tourists? Bare in mind that it is quite multicultural in Cambridge so not looking like British people doesn't mean they are tourists, they could be students or people who live there. AND, Cambridge is regarded as a rather well off city in the East Anglia. So, some of the stuffs may seem overpriced, however, I wouldn't say it is worse than overpriced stuffs in London.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.