Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joanna-eve)
    I did say mainly, I agree that a lot of the brain's pathways are formed at a young age (I think before 5years?) which is why we should start reading at a young age - which in turn is linked to class as studies have shown that parents of higher classes tend to get their kids reading younger. Then again, my mother is a polyglot (although she has never made any effort to teach me her languages )and my best subjects are languages, so perhaps there is a link...
    Agreed, reading from a young age is so valuable. Apparently I taught myself when I was a toddler, though I obviously don't remember, and I believe it's helped me deal with certain things like they're second nature: things which many people struggle with forever. Totally with you on the language thing, and it's a shame your mum didn't speak you you in other languages from day 1. Small kids pick up languages so effortlessly. Makes me want to hire a polyglot nanny for my future kids and have them grow up pentalingual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Agreed, reading from a young age is so valuable. Apparently I taught myself when I was a toddler, though I obviously don't remember, and I believe it's helped me deal with certain things like they're second nature: things which many people struggle with forever. Totally with you on the language thing, and it's a shame your mum didn't speak you you in other languages from day 1. Small kids pick up languages so effortlessly. Makes me want to hire a polyglot nanny for my future kids and have them grow up pentalingual.
    Haha same! I've got a picture of me at the childminder reading on the potty :cool:
    I want to work in the EU government or FCO, so hopefully I will get some nice foreign postings and I can teach my future kids those languages Actually, that's a point for OP - I'm going to do a language degree and I def. don't want to apply to Oxford as the course is very literature-heavy...so it's all about which course you're doing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Evidently, one goes to university to study, not to party.

(Of course the social life is important, but what ****er applies only so he or she can just party all through 3 years without doing any work?)
    Wow this comment got 10 negs. :sigh:

Some people have some pretty ****ed up priorities when it comes to uni then. Do you really pay £3000 a year tuition fees primarily for your social life and secondarily for your education? REALLY??

ReputationRep:
    Get a life

(Original post by Inzamam99)
    Wow this comment got 10 negs. :sigh:

Some people have some pretty ****ed up priorities when it comes to uni then. Do you really pay £3000 a year tuition fees primarily for your social life and secondarily for your education? REALLY??
    Is it a wonder I intend to go to Oxbridge? The interview system keeps the uneducated, all-partying riff-raff out. (Sure there are parties at Oxbridge, but it is not the central focus of an Oxbridge education, is it?)

(Original post by madders94)
    Just no. Your lack of intelligence amuses me, as well as the fact that you will probably never have a serious relationship.
    Please justify it then.

ReputationRep:
    According to im (not) so academic, my post was inflammatory, so I have removed it I believe the intended audience as seen it anyway

ReputationRep:
    Is it a wonder I intend to go to Oxbridge? The interview system keeps the uneducated, all-partying riff-raff out.
    This is why I was considering applying next year to Oxford; I hate the idea of university being a 'partying/drunk atmosphere'. They don't do straight Psychology though, so it's not the best for me.

(Original post by RobertWhite)
    This is why I was considering applying next year to Oxford; I hate the idea of university being a 'partying/drunk atmosphere'. They don't do straight Psychology though, so it's not the best for me.
    Experimental Psychology?

http://www.psy.ox.ac.uk/undergrad/ugexppsy

ReputationRep:
    It's still pretty partying/drunk anyway. It's really not that different from other unis.

ReputationRep:
    what do you think oxford and cambridge are like? people sitting on their hands and refusing to look up from a book?

it's a university with thousands of students aged mainly 18 - mids 20s (what do you think happens!?) - and given the proliferation of it's drinking socs - drinking is as big as anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Experimental Psychology?

http://www.psy.ox.ac.uk/undergrad/ugexppsy
    Is it accredited by the BPS? It probably doesn't matter if it isn't as I'll need to do a Masters and PHD anyway. If I hit my predicted grades I might consider that!

Thanks

(Original post by Organ)
    what do you think oxford and cambridge are like? people sitting on their hands and refusing to look up from a book?

it's a university with thousands of students aged mainly 18 - mids 20s (what do you think happens!?) - and given the proliferation of it's drinking socs - drinking is as big as anywhere else.
    Obviously, there are bops and college bars.

But partying being the SOLE reason why someone is at university? That's just pathetic.

Is it accredited by the BPS? It probably doesn't matter if it isn't as I'll need to do a Masters and PHD anyway. If I hit my predicted grades I might consider that!

Thanks
    http://www.psy.ox.ac.uk/undergrad/bpsaccreditation

Of course it is! :gah:

PM me if you want further information.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, Oxford has as much of that atmosphere as other universities, if not more.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously, there are bops and college bars.

But partying being the SOLE reason why someone is at university? That's just pathetic.
    I agree!

I have never understood that reason anyway - if I was to party for three years; I can think of plently of better ways of spending £40k on partying than spending three years at uni x - beach huts in cancun or something. But you are going to get plently of drinking banter types everywhere - including oxon and cantab :awesome: the biggest stoner I know is a balliol ppe - ist

ReputationRep:
    Lol nerds. You need to go to Oxford to validate your self worth and to be 'elite' lol.

(Original post by Noble.)
    Haha, Oxford has as much of that atmosphere as other universities, if not more.
    I agree with the "work hard, play hard" philosophy it embraces, as opposed to "play hard, and play some more".

(Original post by gunmetalpanda)
    Lol nerds. You need to go to Oxford to validate your self worth and to be 'elite' lol.
    Lol socialites. You need to go to a club to validate your self worth and to be seen as "superior" to those who do know. Seemingly, being "social" is being at the end of the human spectrum. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick Travis)
    Sorry, but I do. Maybe I wasn't clever enough to get in. Or maybe I just didn't work hard enough. However I would love to have gone to Oxford rather than to some mediocre institution. Yes, I know by mediocre I'm referring to a university that 80-90% of people aren't able to go to, but so what? It isn't the best. Oxford is for the elite and I wasn't there.

It's hard-wired into British culture - particularly amongst the middle classes - that only Oxbridge matters - other Universities are nothing special. That's not really an intellectual point (the British aren't that keen on brains) it's more about the beauty, history and cultivation that Oxford is supposed to possess. It's also about our perfectionism, we are quite hard on ourselves. Anything less than the best(?) is a bit pointless.

I reckon I would have been happy at Oxford, although the workload and some intimidatingly bright peers might have tested me to the limit. I'm easily infuriated by the very cerebral. Still at the time I wanted to go to some big city and have a crazy party for three years. A bit embarrassing now I think about it and a waste of three years. But you live and learn I guess.
    Where are you now?
    and
    Why don't you apply to do a post grad course at Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    Such as?

Not getting into Oxford could be for some people the equivalent of your perfect husband marrying another girl, or being fired from the job you always loved or having a miscarriage when you really wanted a child.

People take different things seriously.
    Do not liken not getting into Oxbridge as the same thing as losing a child. The job simile is understandable, and the marriage one is almost passable, but losing a child is nothing like anything.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.