The Student Room Group

I envy Oxford students so much!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by im so academic
Evidently, one goes to university to study, not to party.

(Of course the social life is important, but what ****er applies only so he or she can just party all through 3 years without doing any work?)

Wow this comment got 10 negs. :sigh:

Some people have some pretty ****ed up priorities when it comes to uni then. Do you really pay £3000 a year tuition fees primarily for your social life and secondarily for your education? REALLY??
Reply 261
Get a life
Original post by Inzamam99
Wow this comment got 10 negs. :sigh:

Some people have some pretty ****ed up priorities when it comes to uni then. Do you really pay £3000 a year tuition fees primarily for your social life and secondarily for your education? REALLY??

Is it a wonder I intend to go to Oxbridge? The interview system keeps the uneducated, all-partying riff-raff out. (Sure there are parties at Oxbridge, but it is not the central focus of an Oxbridge education, is it?)

Original post by madders94
Just no. Your lack of intelligence amuses me, as well as the fact that you will probably never have a serious relationship.

Please justify it then.
According to im (not) so academic, my post was inflammatory, so I have removed it :smile: I believe the intended audience as seen it anyway :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 264
Is it a wonder I intend to go to Oxbridge? The interview system keeps the uneducated, all-partying riff-raff out.

This is why I was considering applying next year to Oxford; I hate the idea of university being a 'partying/drunk atmosphere'. They don't do straight Psychology though, so it's not the best for me. :frown:
Original post by RobertWhite

This is why I was considering applying next year to Oxford; I hate the idea of university being a 'partying/drunk atmosphere'. They don't do straight Psychology though, so it's not the best for me. :frown:

Experimental Psychology?

http://www.psy.ox.ac.uk/undergrad/ugexppsy
It's still pretty partying/drunk anyway. It's really not that different from other unis.
Reply 267

what do you think oxford and cambridge are like? people sitting on their hands and refusing to look up from a book?

it's a university with thousands of students aged mainly 18 - mids 20s (what do you think happens!?) - and given the proliferation of it's drinking socs - drinking is as big as anywhere else.
Reply 268

Is it accredited by the BPS? It probably doesn't matter if it isn't as I'll need to do a Masters and PHD anyway. If I hit my predicted grades I might consider that!

Original post by Organ
what do you think oxford and cambridge are like? people sitting on their hands and refusing to look up from a book?

it's a university with thousands of students aged mainly 18 - mids 20s (what do you think happens!?) - and given the proliferation of it's drinking socs - drinking is as big as anywhere else.

Obviously, there are bops and college bars.

But partying being the SOLE reason why someone is at university? That's just pathetic.

Is it accredited by the BPS? It probably doesn't matter if it isn't as I'll need to do a Masters and PHD anyway. If I hit my predicted grades I might consider that!

http://www.psy.ox.ac.uk/undergrad/bpsaccreditation

Of course it is! :gah:

PM me if you want further information.
Reply 271

Haha, Oxford has as much of that atmosphere as other universities, if not more.
Reply 272
Obviously, there are bops and college bars.

But partying being the SOLE reason why someone is at university? That's just pathetic.

I agree!

I have never understood that reason anyway - if I was to party for three years; I can think of plently of better ways of spending £40k on partying than spending three years at uni x - beach huts in cancun or something. But you are going to get plently of drinking banter types everywhere - including oxon and cantab :awesome: the biggest stoner I know is a balliol ppe - ist
(edited 13 years ago)
Lol nerds. You need to go to Oxford to validate your self worth and to be 'elite' lol.
Original post by Noble.
Haha, Oxford has as much of that atmosphere as other universities, if not more.

I agree with the "work hard, play hard" philosophy it embraces, as opposed to "play hard, and play some more".
Original post by gunmetalpanda

Original post by gunmetalpanda
Lol nerds. You need to go to Oxford to validate your self worth and to be 'elite' lol.

Lol socialites. You need to go to a club to validate your self worth and to be seen as "superior" to those who do know. Seemingly, being "social" is being at the end of the human spectrum. :rolleyes:
Original post by Mick Travis
Sorry, but I do. Maybe I wasn't clever enough to get in. Or maybe I just didn't work hard enough. However I would love to have gone to Oxford rather than to some mediocre institution. Yes, I know by mediocre I'm referring to a university that 80-90% of people aren't able to go to, but so what? It isn't the best. Oxford is for the elite and I wasn't there.

It's hard-wired into British culture - particularly amongst the middle classes - that only Oxbridge matters - other Universities are nothing special. That's not really an intellectual point (the British aren't that keen on brains) it's more about the beauty, history and cultivation that Oxford is supposed to possess. It's also about our perfectionism, we are quite hard on ourselves. Anything less than the best(?) is a bit pointless.

I reckon I would have been happy at Oxford, although the workload and some intimidatingly bright peers might have tested me to the limit. I'm easily infuriated by the very cerebral. Still at the time I wanted to go to some big city and have a crazy party for three years. A bit embarrassing now I think about it and a waste of three years. But you live and learn I guess.

Where are you now?
and
Why don't you apply to do a post grad course at Oxford?
Such as?

Not getting into Oxford could be for some people the equivalent of your perfect husband marrying another girl, or being fired from the job you always loved or having a miscarriage when you really wanted a child.

People take different things seriously.

Do not liken not getting into Oxbridge as the same thing as losing a child. The job simile is understandable, and the marriage one is almost passable, but losing a child is nothing like anything.
(edited 13 years ago)
Lol socialites. You need to go to a club to validate your self worth and to be seen as "superior" to those who do know. Seemingly, being "social" is being at the end of the human spectrum. :rolleyes:

Lol from your other posts it's quite evident that you are a loser, and I don't mean to be offensive. I have better grades than most and I still mantain a good social life and after I graduate there won't be any disadvantages I will be in compared to a Oxford grad. I think a balance is important if you want to live a good life. Life shouldn't just revolve around getting into oxford is all i'm saying :smile:. And I didn't mention anything about being social.
Original post by Redreynard
why's it matter how old someone else is?
argumentum ad hominem is poor form.

:rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending