Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham or Leeds for medicine?

I like both cities, both courses and the social aspects look great. I do alot of music and both are good for music, with Bham having Birmingham conservatoire, symphony hall, O2 etc and yet theres also Leeds College of Music and lots of music to get involved with at Leeds too. :/ !
    Accommodation seems to be more expensive at Bham, but I shouldn't base the decision on this! On the other hand, I will be much closer to my boyfriend at Bham, but should this influence my decision? so many questions... any advice or first-hand experience would be hugely appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Go for Bham, much better than Leeds

ReputationRep:
    oh why do you think that? thanks for your opinion

ReputationRep:
    Halls in Birmingham will only be for one year, and then you'll most likely be sharing a house, and Birmingham rent is pretty cheap on the whole if you're going for something average. It sounds as though you'd be happy at either uni, and that in terms of the important things such as course structure, city etc they're fairly evenly matched for you. In which case it's ok to let the smaller things sway your decision, because it sounds like this is what it's coming down to. I can't comment much on the music at Bham, I don't play anything, but I was in one of the uni choirs, and generally had a really good time at Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully I'll be making this choice in a years time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junior.doctor)
    Halls in Birmingham will only be for one year, and then you'll most likely be sharing a house, and Birmingham rent is pretty cheap on the whole if you're going for something average. It sounds as though you'd be happy at either uni, and that in terms of the important things such as course structure, city etc they're fairly evenly matched for you. In which case it's ok to let the smaller things sway your decision, because it sounds like this is what it's coming down to. I can't comment much on the music at Bham, I don't play anything, but I was in one of the uni choirs, and generally had a really good time at Birmingham.
    is it tough to get accomadation after the first year?

can we get the accomadation close by?

ReputationRep:
    Accommodation in general is very easy to get - there's more accommodation than students. Obviously some of it is a bit further away, and often the accommodation that's further away has slightly more reasonable prices for what's being offered. But there's a lot of accommodation within walking distance (</20min walk) for a reasonable price. Most students live in Selly Oak, although a lot of medics live in Harborne, especially from 4th year onwards. There's a sudden panic about getting accomm sorted out in Jan of first year for the following autumn, so a lot of people panic and agree to the first thing they wee, which is often overpriced and shoddy, albeit very close to uni. Take your time chosing somewhere half-decent, there's plenty to go round.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat, really can't decide between the two. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleverlew)
    I'm in the same boat, really can't decide between the two. :/
    What was your initial reaction ? what are thinking? where do you think you will go in the end ?

ReputationRep:
    I was ecstatic obviously. I live in Birmingham and It's been a long time ambition to study at Birmingham but then again I want to get away so I really have no idea where I'll go in the end. Leeds spelt my name wrong which annoyed me a bit though :P
    How about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleverlew)
    I was ecstatic obviously. I live in Birmingham and It's been a long time ambition to study at Birmingham but then again I want to get away so I really have no idea where I'll go in the end. Leeds spelt my name wrong which annoyed me a bit though :P
    How about you?
    haha... oh no!! well, just like you, i was really pleased to be given the choice. I never expected any choice at all! which is why im struggling to come to any decision now... :L i think i liked the feel more at Leeds and the campus, but i found the actual medical school was nicer in Bham... oh its so difficult! particularly because neither are bad! im also waiting on the outcome of a Leicester interview but Ive kind of dismissed Leicester now... maybe I should rethink this one as well.
    I think the main problem is having nobody neutral to talk too. The people in a position to reply are either at one or the other so can't really make an unbiased decision if you know what i mean.

ReputationRep:
    Leeds :heart:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teva)
    haha... oh no!! well, just like you, i was really pleased to be given the choice. I never expected any choice at all! which is why im struggling to come to any decision now... :L i think i liked the feel more at Leeds and the campus, but i found the actual medical school was nicer in Bham... oh its so difficult! particularly because neither are bad! im also waiting on the outcome of a Leicester interview but Ive kind of dismissed Leicester now... maybe I should rethink this one as well.
    I think the main problem is having nobody neutral to talk too. The people in a position to reply are either at one or the other so can't really make an unbiased decision if you know what i mean.
    Yeah I know what you mean. Brum's lecture theatre is amazing! It is really really hard.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham

ReputationRep:
    Why Birmingham?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.