Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'Posh' Commuter Towns in Surrey Watch

ReputationRep:
    Which of the many commuter towns in Surrey are most synonymous with affluent, native English, Protestant, private school and prestigious university educated, upper middle class?

In other words, name a town that automatically makes you think Telegraph reader, who comes from a well-off, English, upper middle-class background. The type of person who may have been educated at elite boarding schools, Oxbridge, works in the City, votes Tory, comes from a fairly respecatable old southern Englsih family--but IS NOT, nor would be considered super rich or 'A-List celebrity', footballer, rock-star rich.

Which Surrey town that is leafy, stately and dignified would fit the above description.

Again, I'm writing a piece of fiction and I would really appreciate the help of people who are far more familliar with the lay of the land there than me. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Oxted, Tunbridge Wells (not Surrey but had to be mentioned), Esher, Weybridge, Epsom, Leatherhead, Worcester Park

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timon)
    Which of the many commuter towns in Surrey are most synonymous with affluent, native English, Protestant, private school and prestigious university educated, upper middle class?

In other words, name a town that automatically makes you think Telegraph reader, who comes from a well-off, English, upper middle-class background. The type of person who may have been educated at elite boarding schools, Oxbridge, works in the City, votes Tory, comes from a fairly respecatable old southern Englsih family--but IS NOT, nor would be considered super rich or 'A-List celebrity', footballer, rock-star rich.

Which Surrey town that is leafy, stately and dignified would fit the above description.

Again, I'm writing a piece of fiction and I would really appreciate the help of people who are far more familliar with the lay of the land there than me. Thanks!
    Epsom, where I live, might do the trick. We're not all posh, but there are a lot of commuters and the private school, Epsom College, is RIDICULOUSLY posh. We were Location, Location, Location's "best place to live" a few years ago too.

ReputationRep:
    Oxshott or Hinchley Wood. Both very leafy and posh.. Primary schools full of posh kiddies and streets full of organic grocery stores and holistic therapists. Also Esher would work. There's quite a few posh private schools down that neck of the woods.

ReputationRep:
    What about Dorking, Godalming, Farnham or Haslemere? Which of these four would fit best the description laid out above?

ReputationRep:
    Guildford, but pretty much the whole of Surrey, West Sussex and Hampshire is as you described.

ReputationRep:
    Cobham I think house prices are the highest in the country there

ReputationRep:
    Windlesham. Beautiful houses down there.

ReputationRep:
    Guildford is quite affluent along with Weybridge and Chobam.

Very posh areas.

ReputationRep:
    Reigate is a very nice leafy town. However it's in close proximity to Redhill and Horley (where I live), which are dumps.

ReputationRep:
    We know people in Haslemere (where Tennyson lived!) and Tunbridge Wells, which have been mentioned...I wouldn't say they're really super super posh, but it's where people want to live

ReputationRep:
    Esher and Weybridge, I'd say are the top 2 towns in Surrey for serious old money and real aristocratic bearing.

ReputationRep:
    Leave it out, OP, Harry Potter comes from Surrey.

Is this a plot to swat in the richest family's house?

ReputationRep:
    'Virginia Water stinks of new money and foreigners'. I overheard a slimey estate agent say this once. Made me laugh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Worcester Park
    You mean Worcester Park in London, that typical Surrey town, rather than the non-existent archetypal leafy town, Worcester Park, in Surrey? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Oxted looks like a nice cozy place to live and raise kids...if that's what you want to do with the rest of your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    You mean Worcester Park in London, that typical Surrey town, rather than the non-existent archetypal leafy town, Worcester Park, in Surrey? :rolleyes:
    Loads of places that are officially considered Greater London are still identified with being in Surrey. Ask me what county Richmond is in, and I'll give you a fairly clear answer beginning with an 'S'. Worcester Park actually manages to straddle the modern administrative boundary anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Loads of places that are officially considered Greater London are still identified with being in Surrey. Ask me what county Richmond is in, and I'll give you a fairly clear answer beginning with an 'S'. Worcester Park actually manages to straddle the modern administrative boundary anyway.
    It still isn't an archetypal leafy Surrey town.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Oxted, Tunbridge Wells (not Surrey but had to be mentioned), Esher, Weybridge, Epsom, Leatherhead, Worcester Park
    LOL, Worcester Park isn't posh... then again one of the people on the road next to mine has horses in their backgarden and you see a few boats parked outside people's front gardens. Although I still wouldn't consider it posh (boring as hell, yes) does have a high sense of nimbyism though. :/

It is in Surrey though.

Anyway Esher, Epsom, Cobham, Ewell, Guildford, Weybridge.

I'd say Epsom or Esher both in Surrey lots golf ranges and public schools round there!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.