Turn on thread page Beta

if you get found guilty for 'conspiracy to defraud'... watch

ReputationRep:
    and get told you have to face jail time, will the feds at least let you finish your degree first? suppose this is happening to a student who is a year off from finishing his degree from the best uni in the country

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so

unless they have some sort of special program where you get your degree in jail

ReputationRep:
    Not an expert, but I'm going to say no.

When you're sentenced to prison time, unless you get a suspended sentence or something you are going to prison then, rather than in a year's time.

Your completed credits should still be valid after you get out, you could maybe finish it afterwards (probably at a different institution).

ReputationRep:
    What scheme got you busted?

ReputationRep:
    somebody wanted me to make him a keylogger so i made it (legal). a few months later i lent him my laptop and a few weeks after that i got raided and they found a **** load of evidence on my laptop. i had no idea this guy scammed credit cards.

ReputationRep:
    Depending on what has actually happened, you may not even get a custodial sentence.

It depends on any mitigating factors and aggravating factors.

Also 'the feds' have no say in it.

If you have been found guilty already, you will need to consider how long you have left to finish your degree. If your exams will be done by May/June, your barrister may be able to convince the court to allow you to finish your studies. The judge will then set the date for the sentencing hearing after your last exam.

But that would probs mean you miss your graduation.

ReputationRep:
    Oh another angle could be that you explain your circumstances to your University and if they are sympathetic they allow you to do your exams next year or defer this year or something.

Such a sentence is going to **** you up real bad you know? Esp. if you wanna work in the legal profession.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph90)
    Depending on what has actually happened, you may not even get a custodial sentence.

It depends on any mitigating factors and aggravating factors.

Also 'the feds' have no say in it.

If you have been found guilty already, you will need to consider how long you have left to finish your degree. If your exams will be done by May/June, your barrister may be able to convince the court to allow you to finish your studies. The judge will then set the date for the sentencing hearing after your last exam.

But that would probs mean you miss your graduation.
    what if my exams finish may/june NEXT year? if i can't finish my degree then is there anything i can do after i do my time? or did i just waste 2 and a half years in oxford for nothing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imbicurious)
    what if my exams finish may/june NEXT year? if i can't finish my degree then is there anything i can do after i do my time? or did i just waste 2 and a half years in oxford for nothing?
    Your best bet would be for your legal rep to ask for a suspended sentence and cite that you are in full time education in Oxford etc.

In any case, you should be discussing this with your solicitor, not us to be honest.

I also hope you have good representation, it makes all the difference.

You should have got experts in this specific area (Computer Misuse etc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imbicurious)
    Prison is there for a reason. The idea is to be deprived of your liberty. They will not say "oh, well, we'll give you a custodial sentence. But don't bother going to jail till next year as we want you to finish your degree". You did the crime (in theory), you pay the price.

But your years in higher education are not wasted. You can still take a qualification (probably a diploma of higher education) if you have passed 240 credits. Or you can transfer these credits to the Open University and finish the degree after prison. You will possibly be able to finish it in prison.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and from the facts it seems like if all the mitigating circumstances are taken into account:

- nature of involvement
    - current status as a full time student, quite likely very bright
    - good character refs (employers, past teachers, current tutors etc.)

You will probs get non-custodial or suspended sentence.

ReputationRep:
    No, but it would be a factor which may convince the judge to give you a community sentence/suspended sentence/fine rather than a custodial sentence. Doing something stupid as a young guy is hardly unusual. If the facts are as you claimed, and given that you probably have a clean record, I find it really difficult to believe that you'd get jail time (then again, I'm no expert in sentencing).

There's also no way that you'd get done for conspiracy to defraud if the facts are as you outlined. To have a conspiracy you need an agreement between two people to follow an illegal course of conduct, and for fraud you need intent. You had neither, unless the jury completely disbelieve you, which I find unlikely as it will be be very very very difficult for the prosecution to prove that you reached an agreement or that there was intent in the context of making a keylogger.

ReputationRep:
    AFAIK if you're doing Law or anything that involves a CRB check (Primary Education etc) then you'll be kicked off the course. But someone correct me if I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    No, but it would be a factor which may convince the judge to give you a community sentence/suspended sentence/fine rather than a custodial sentence. Doing something stupid as a young guy is hardly unusual. If the facts are as you claimed, and given that you probably have a clean record, I find it really difficult to believe that you'd get jail time (then again, I'm no expert in sentencing).

There's also no way that you'd get done for conspiracy to defraud if the facts are as you outlined. To have a conspiracy you need an agreement between two people to follow an illegal course of conduct, and for fraud you need intent. You had neither, unless the jury completely disbelieve you, which I find unlikely as it will be be very very very difficult for the prosecution to prove that you reached an agreement or that there was intent in the context of making a keylogger.
    I was going to mention this.

Also, the fact that he has being charged for 'conspiracy to defraud' as opposed to the newer offences under the Fraud Act 2006, might be saying something too.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by River85)
    Prison is there for a reason. The idea is to be deprived of your liberty. They will not say "oh, well, we'll give you a custodial sentence. But don't bother going to jail till next year as we want you to finish your degree". You did the crime (in theory), you pay the price.

But your years in higher education are not wasted. You can still take a qualification (probably a diploma of higher education) if you have passed 240 credits. Or you can transfer these credits to the Open University and finish the degree after prison. You will possibly be able to finish it in prison.
    You can do the OU in prison. I don't know the details, but one of my tutors mentioned it.

ReputationRep:
    what exactly did you expect him to use the keylogger for?

ReputationRep:
    I sincerely hope they are sent down and chucked out of uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    one of my tutors mentioned it.
    Is there something you aren't telling us?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.