Turn on thread page Beta

Have most people had a relationship by the age of 20? watch

Have most people had a relationship by the age of 20? Basically, you've guessed it, I haven't had a relationship, and I'm 20. I'm thinking that if I've been single for this long, I must have quite a few flaws. The main question is though, have most people had a relationship by this age?

ReputationRep:
    I've never had a relationship before and I'm 21. I wouldn't worry about it. It will come in time.

ReputationRep:
    Most people on Earth? I doubt it

ReputationRep:
    Aye but I'd argue that it's not necessarily a marker for owt.. e.g. personal development, personality, sociability etc..

I didn't have my first proper, relatively full on relationship till I was like 24! and I turned out ok.. (HAHAHA)

If you've been trying real hard to make the most of every connection you make and been getting yourself out there since the age of like 16 and still had no luck then it's time to worry, otherwise, you should probably relax..

..this might be helpful, more for males than females but there may well be some crossover

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't know if 'most' people will have had at least one relationship by the age of 20.
    all i know and care about is that i had to wait until 23 before i did. ;D

(Original post by Foo.mp3)
    I didn't have my first proper, relatively full on relationship till I was like 24! and I turned out ok.. (HAHAHA)
    What were the ones sort of like before if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What were the ones sort of like before if you don't mind me asking?
    I didn't really think about girls too much up to 15/16. 15-19 I was either too douchey or too ill to hold down a relationship, I had a string of casual things in this time - 'casual' mainly because I didn't take them too seriously, poor things - upset a few people by allowing them to become close :rolleyes:

20+ Similar story, commitment/health issues but more of a desire for a deeper, more lasting bond with someone special..

ReputationRep:
    I'm 23, never had a relationship. I wouldn't worry about it.

You're not alone anon.

But answering the question, have most people had a relationship by this age?
    Is it abnormal if you haven't?

I haven't and I don't think its abnormal. Everyone I know has been in relationships but I just think that the reason I haven't is because I don't really go on nights out and things like that (which is where people make friends that grow into relationships etc)

I think a lot of people would have had some sort of a gf/bf by the time they reach 20 but certainly there are those out there who haven't. What I do think is rare if someone has involuntarily had no real experience with the opposite sex by that age i.e dates and kissing. For example I'm 22 and have never gone out with a girl or kissed one. Now that IS rare, I'm quite sure of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirenVoices)
    I've never had a relationship before and I'm 21. I wouldn't worry about it. It will come in time.
    Same and I'm 21 too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 in a couple of months and I haven't. :emo:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_VSrnkiWaqS...alone+face.png

ReputationRep:
    I'm eighteen and I've never had anything that would be classed as a relationship.

I feel depressed now.

ReputationRep:
    A relationship?

No, I'm far too fun loving to waste my time :awesome:

19, and no interest in a proper relationship what-so-ever.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've observed through my teenage years, there's definitely a lot of people getting into relationships before the age of 20. I'm not really sure if it's most people, but certainly an awful lot. Heck, even when I was only 15, I left so weird and left out as it seemed like everyone was at it! I have had one sort-of relationship when I was 16, but apart from that I haven't actually had anything serious, and I'm 20 in 6 months :eek:. It should not really be much of a big deal as long as your life overall is good :yep:

ReputationRep:
    21 and still haven't! It doesn't really bother me although at times I'd like to be

ReputationRep:
    I haven't either! I don't think it matters, if you want it, it will come in time, some people are just happy without one, don't spend all your time worrying over it

ReputationRep:
    At a guess I'd say it was nearer 50% if that have had one, so I wouldn't worry mate

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.