Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Was just wondering if this was a good a-level to choose as my college does it
    is it hard/soft do unis like it as i may take it as a 4th/5th A-level as i think i would enjoy it and may go into a career like engineering.
    If anyone does it and could give me feedback it would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    its 'soft' but fine for engineering as a 5th a'level.

for engineering you should be doing. maths, further maths, physics, chemistry as your main 4 as these are generally what universities look for (not all look for chemistry) and what will be helpful when you're actually doing your degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)

for engineering you should be doing. maths, further maths, physics, chemistry as your main 4 as these are generally what universities look for (not all look for chemistry) and what will be helpful when you're actually doing your degree
    I hate to dig this up, but I stumbled across it and can't bear to let it go with only this response/opinion.

"Engineering" is a huge subject - I'd steer well clear of any degree course titled "Engineering", I'd be surprised if you can even find one.

Chemistry is far less related to some engineering courses than Electronics is to others.

Best example: I haven't found a University that prefers Chemistry over Electronics for an EE course. Very few even state Chemistry as a preferable. Maths, Physics are musts; FM & Electronics are desirable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil-)
    Was just wondering if this was a good a-level to choose as my college does it
    is it hard/soft do unis like it as i may take it as a 4th/5th A-level as i think i would enjoy it and may go into a career like engineering.
    If anyone does it and could give me feedback it would be much appreciated.

As a second year undergrad of EEE, i would say it is a fantastic thing to do, along with Maths, FM (if possible) and physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FO12DY)
    I hate to dig this up, but I stumbled across it and can't bear to let it go with only this response/opinion.

"Engineering" is a huge subject - I'd steer well clear of any degree course titled "Engineering", I'd be surprised if you can even find one.

Chemistry is far less related to some engineering courses than Electronics is to others.

Best example: I haven't found a University that prefers Chemistry over Electronics for an EE course. Very few even state Chemistry as a preferable. Maths, Physics are musts; FM & Electronics are desirable.
    avoid any course titled "engineering"… what about this one?
    http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...ing/index.html

generaly engineering courses are far better in my opinion. by the end of the course you end up with just as much depth, but far more breadth over all engineering disciplines which has been very useful in all of my jobs so far.

electronics is is useful for... electronics. a very tiny piece of engineering. chemistry comes up in both thermo and materials. and materials comes up in pretty much every area of engineering.

ReputationRep:
    avoid any course titled "engineering"… what about this one?
    http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...ing/index.html

generaly engineering courses are far better in my opinion. by the end of the course you end up with just as much depth, but far more breadth over all engineering disciplines which has been very useful in all of my jobs so far.

electronics is is useful for... electronics. a very tiny piece of engineering. chemistry comes up in both thermo and materials. and materials comes up in pretty much every area of engineering.
    Oh Cambridge is a different breed, though you still study a particular trade of engineering, they just provide an overview first.

ReputationRep:
    I go to a college where we are all sponsored engineers, and trust me universities really do not care what other subjects you do so long as you have maths and physics. However that being said, if you want to do well in the degree you should probably do something useful. I'm taking Chemistry and Electronics at AS, and I can definitely recommend Electronics over Chemistry, you will use it more in your degree, and it's a good one to get a decent grade in so long as you can cope with coursework. Electronics is seen as a good A level to have by universities if you're going for an engineering degree also, if you don't want to go into engineering however it's not that useful to have, it's not a very broad subject.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.