Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Group of friends keep leaving me out at weekends. Don't know what to do. watch

Announcements

I'm becoming increasingly upset because the people in my group of friends never invite me out at weekend even though we always hang out at school. I've been best friends with one of them since the start of high school, we had some minor fall outs but I never thought it was anything major. She always claims to love me and gives me cuddles but then when it comes to weekends she never invites me out to hang out anymore and hangs out with the rest of the group. There was a party yesterday that they talked about openly in my presence but no one ever asked me if I was coming as well. Now on facebook they're going on about how much of a good time they've had and I'm crying because I can't take being left out anymore.
    There's isn't really any way I could try and get into another group of friends when it's nearly the end of year 11. I'd like to stay at this school for sixth form as well but this is trully depressing me
    Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Crazy idea, why don't you ask to go with them?

Honestly! Does everyone on tsr lack common sense?

ReputationRep:
    How about you do the organising for something, so arrange a day/night out, shopping trip or whatever, so then they can't exactly leave you out? Might subtly remind them that you are still there and do still want to be involved

Or just speak to them about it?

Also not sure about other schools, but from experience friendship groups really change from year 11 to 6th form, so you should be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if you show an interest in going to these things they'll start including you more. If their talking about it in front of you it may be because they think your either going or don't want to go. If you stand there in silence (although I understand why), they're not going to know. Where you invited to this party?

If things don't improve you then just look forward to 6th form. They're not worth it and the chances are there'll be loads of new people (there were at my school). You can change groups easily then if you want.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you try organising a few things? Trips out and such? Then you'd be the one inviting people. You would be able to get closer to them this way- maybe they don't see you as that much of a close friend anymore, which does happen as people change, but you can only try fixing things

ReputationRep:
    I can't really think of any suggestion other than saying ask them. Obviously that's easier said than done, but just ask your best friend one on one why you're never invited if you'd rather not confront the entire group. I mean, she is your best friend, right? Odd you call here that considering she doesn't invite you out, are you sure she feels the same way about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    Crazy idea, why don't you ask to go with them?

Honestly! Does everyone on tsr lack common sense?
    I agree with this. Just invite yourself along. If they're talking about it in front of you then they can't blame you for wanting to come and probably want you to. Stop being timid and go!!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Simple solution:
    "You up to anything this weekend?"
    "Yeah me and ... are going to ..."
    "Do you mind if I tag along, I've not been out in ages?"

If they say yes, they do mind, then find new friends.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the EXACT same position. Except, I really did have a bit of a fall out with one of my mates last summer in the group of friends I have or had after I started to get left out. I've just accepted it now, we've only got 8 more weeks in high school, and then there'll be Summer and college to find new friends, I can't wait to be honest

ReputationRep:
    In our friendship group, there's a general understanding that if it's being talked about you're invited. One guy who 'joined us' at the start of college never came out to anything we organised. It wasn't until he got really upset after we were talking about the previous night's party that we realised he hadn't known he was invited..

Talk to them! They may not know you're feeling left out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millyshyn)
    I don't know, she acts like she does at school. When they were talking about it I acted as if I was interested hoping they'd give me more details but they didn't. I'm thinking of telling her how I feel when she starts going on about it tomorrow, I'm a bit scared it might cause some conflict though.
    Anon fail. Oh well, doubt they use this forum.
    Haha, anon fail indeed.

Yeah I was going to say, when I said "confront" I don't mean attack them, but you already realised that I guess. I don't know, it might be something easier said over Facebook if you'd rather do that but, either way, you should certainly ask if it's upsetting you. It's happened to me before and I didn't do anything about it, now I just never speak to those people as we just drifted apart.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.