Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am going to Cardiff in september to do occupational therapy. I have a couple of questions for anyone who is at/went to Cardiff - especially those who did courses at heath park campus. Any answers would be great!

Is Talybont north really as small as it looks online? I mean the reduced room looks like a box! I want to apply here as it's near to shops and my campus but don't fancy living in such a tiny room!

As a heath park student am I limited to which accomodation I can pick? So far I have only heard of students on healthcare courses living at either taly north or allensbank - I like the look of taly south but I am not sure about the 'residential period' stuff?

Finally, anyone who went to Uni Hall - how far are the nearest shops and amenities? as I don't drive.

Thanks sorry it was so long!

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    All i can help you with is Allensbank as i lived there. It's location is pretty much spot on, around a 10-15 minute bus journey to the centre and Allensbank road is such a busy road with buses constantly passing through, only a few quid in a taxi to the centre of town, it's quite a niceish area too. Possibly the only problem is there's no supermarket near to it, you have a local co-op a 10 minute walk away but that's it really but in a taxi it's roughly £6ish to the big main Tesco Extra store and you can also get buses easily to and from it. There is a mixture of Cardiff, Uwic and Glamorgan students but you do share with usually students from your own Uni, there were only a couple where they had to share with other students from elsewhere. If there is anything else i can help you with about the place just ask but that's pretty much it however if you drive and ever think about taking your car the parking is a bit of a pain, you can only park on Allensbank road which sometimes you might have to park your car quite a way down the road or be willing to pay a fee to keep it in the Allensbank grounds.

ReputationRep:
    whatever happens, choose talybont.. it is about 10x better than any of the other student accommodation in cardiff

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about Cambrian Point? Its really close to talybont but the rooms are much bigger.

Its probably about a 20 minute walk to the Heath Campus but also about a 15-20 minute walk into town. Tesco Express and Lidl are also only 5-10 minutes away. So you wouldn't need to drive anywhere.

Its a mixture of Cardiff Uni, UWIC and Glamorgan students but Liberty Living try to match you with people who are similar to you so you'd probably be put with other Cardiff Uni first years.

If you're interested in living in Cambrian Point I have a single en-suite room available for rent for the academic year 2011-2012, beginning in September 2011. The rent is £98 per week and this includes ALL utility bills, FREE personal contents insurance, a tv licence and access to a tv, and a landline telephone in your room.

I booked to keep my room again for next year because I thought I would be in cardiff for my placement year but now I have a placement outside of cardiff and so need to find somebody to take over my contract. The room and contract would be exactly the same as booking directly with liberty living - but you would be doing me a huge favour as I wouldn't loose my money.

If your interested in living in Cambrian Point and want to take over my contract or for more information please let me know!

ReputationRep:
    cambrian point is privately owned, taly north as long as its not the reduced rooms is the same size as taly south, taly south you could end up right down by taly court or right by taly north depending on what you get allocated, taly south aint much bigger but the storage is good, im living in taly south atm

ReputationRep:
    i'm living at Uni Hall right now and i'll tell you one thing; if you like getting up really late in the mornings and take a lot of time preparing as well, DONT choose uni hall :P

we've only got a bus every 1 hour(but 8am and 8.30am in the mornings to accomodate the morning rush), which takes you to all the cardiff uni buildings PLUS the weird, out-of-the-way places for exams, which is major plus BUT if you miss it, either pay 1.50 for the local bus or walk/run/crawl to your building (mine happens to be the engineering building, closest of all the buildings to uni hall but still is a good 30-min walk)

tesco and iceland are about a 15-min walk downhill from unihall (annoying to walk back up with groceries but you can always take the bus). we have a bar to ourselves up here if you want to grab a quick bite.

and as for the rooms; they're really pretty nice actually. biggish compared to the other halls, with huge windows and mine came equipped with a sink (not en suite, but theres always the en suite option). the kitchen is massive and airy compared to the kitchens in all the other halls. i've seen the kitchens at senghenydd and taly, they're microscopic they are.

Uni hall is located in the poshest neighbourhood in cardiff as well, so it's really pretty nice and quiet.

conclusion:

Pros - big rooms, big kitchen, uni hall bar, free bus that takes you everywhere, peaceful, nowhere near as noisy as taly
    Cons - at least 30-mins to get to class (20 if you run), cabs to town on a night out would be around £7, awful on a snow day when theres no bus

ReputationRep:
    I'm Uni Hall right now and I will be next year as well... if you're going to be on the Heath Park campus you should probably be here as a free bus takes you to it within like 5 minutes.

If you get put in Tower you get an ensuite room too.. win!

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm looking to apply to cardiff in 2012 for oton the cardiff website it states which accommodation heath park students can have. there the ones which can also have unusual term times as well as the regular ones. so Allensbank, taly north, uni halls and cartwright. i think. I'm thinking uni halls look good as you get a free bus pass.

ReputationRep:
    Also at north heath park students can only apply for reduced or small. But it's all o the website. Soppy if this is a bit late.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.