Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i was wondering whether any current QM students could let me know anything about the accommodation houses?
    and also my friend is also applying, is it possible to request to share a kitchen? or be in the same part of the building?

ReputationRep:
    What do you want to know specifically? I can answer anything.

I would recommend that you don't request to share a kitchen, though I think it is possible, because it gives you an extra somewhere to go. Sometimes it is nice to get away from your friends and having them in a different flat makes it more "special". Also you get to make more friends because you'll be able to meet her(?) flatmates as well.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know when the application process starts? Seems I have been waiting for agess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MartinSquirtle)
    Does anybody know when the application process starts? Seems I have been waiting for agess.
    Before mid-April.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Mortell)

I would recommend that you don't request to share a kitchen, though I think it is possible, because it gives you an extra somewhere to go. Sometimes it is nice to get away from your friends and having them in a different flat makes it more "special". Also you get to make more friends because you'll be able to meet her(?) flatmates as well.
    I hold a firm offer to study English Language and Linguistics and I live in Greater London, I really want a place in their student accommodation. I was wondering if you would by any chance know how strict they are with the M25 rule?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caina)
    I hold a firm offer to study English Language and Linguistics and I live in Greater London, I really want a place in their student accommodation. I was wondering if you would by any chance know how strict they are with the M25 rule?
    Very, although people have been known to get a place. You'll be put on the waiting list when you apply.

If you use the TFL journey planner, and you're over 1 hour away post code to post code, you have a better chance at being offered accommodation without being placed on the waiting list.

Usually most people on the waiting list get accommodation by January.

ReputationRep:
    Very, although people have been known to get a place. You'll be put on the waiting list when you apply.

If you use the TFL journey planner, and you're over 1 hour away post code to post code, you have a better chance at being offered accommodation without being placed on the waiting list.

Usually most people on the waiting list get accommodation by January.
    I'm 1h40mins away on Journey Planner! Is there a small chance I'll get offered accommodation without having to wait till January?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caina)
    I'm 1h40mins away on Journey Planner! Is there a small chance I'll get offered accommodation without having to wait till January?
    Your chances are higher than others applying from London, it just depends on how many other people apply. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Your chances are higher than others applying from London, it just depends on how many other people apply. Good luck.
    Thank you! I hope I get in or It'll have to be Adjustment to York or Leeds! There's no way I'm travelling 1h40mins in the underground on a weekday!!

ReputationRep:
    Do you know when they will send out the accommodation e-mail for those of us who have firmed QM?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I got an auto-rejection for accommodation, even though according to tfl its about 1hr and 20-30 mins! What shall I do as I am desperate for accommodation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Debbay16)
    Hey, I got an auto-rejection for accommodation, even though according to tfl its about 1hr and 20-30 mins! What shall I do as I am desperate for accommodation!
    You could look into Unite, or other close by private halls. Alternatively you could wait until private houses open up and rent with some 2nd/3rd years. (Or other people who don't have housing.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Debbay16)
    Hey I'm in the same situation as you, live about the same distance away and auto-rejected. Was wondering if you'd be interested in renting with a bunch of people in the same situation if we look for a house in the local area?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shivi22)
    Hey I'm in the same situation as you, live about the same distance away and auto-rejected. Was wondering if you'd be interested in renting with a bunch of people in the same situation if we look for a house in the local area?
    I PM'd you

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when we find out if we've got our accommodation or not?

ReputationRep:
    That's a good question.. I heard that last year it was around July?!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, from July onwards

ReputationRep:

do queen mary students stay at the university of london intercollegiate accommodation? i'm considering it because its catered... not really one for much cooking but then again the UofL halls are 30 mins by tube so it must be a hassle...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dicentra)
    do queen mary students stay at the university of london intercollegiate accommodation? i'm considering it because its catered... not really one for much cooking but then again the UofL halls are 30 mins by tube so it must be a hassle...
    I wouldn't say it is worth it. You don't have to properly cook as a student - either you do pasta, microwave meals or just oven bake stuff. Intercollegiate is fine but it is a completely different lifestyle choice IMO.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it is worth it. You don't have to properly cook as a student - either you do pasta, microwave meals or just oven bake stuff. Intercollegiate is fine but it is a completely different lifestyle choice IMO.
    thanks for the reply! hmm, what do you mean by a completely different lifestyle choice? any examples that stick out from either your or your friends' experiences? anyway i think i'm probably going to apply for the student village as my first choice...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 17, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Queen Mary University of London
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.