Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well applied for a job at Primark in town on Wednesday night, got called Thursday morning at 9am asking me to go in for an interview. The interview is Wednesday and I'm wondering if anyone who has been for one, or works at Primark etc can answer a couple of questions;

1. What kind of dress code was there at these interviews? i.e. smart, smart casual, fashionable etc...

2. Should I expect a 1-on-1 interview or a group interview?

3. Any idea on what pay grade it is for a retail operative?

4. Is Primark a good place to work in a part time role, or is it not worth it?

Already got a part time job and isn't a bad place to work, it's rather laid back and whatnot. This one though has more hours and might be useful until I go back to uni in September, unless the pay isn't a great deal different then it would probably break even after taking into account petrol and parking costs. But I kinda feel like I need a change with recent events at work. So just wondering if anyone could pass on any advice, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Go smart, it's always better to look smarter than under-dressed; and it would give a better impression that you care about wanting to get the job.

I had a 1 on 1 interview, I think that's common for Primark. I have heard of people doing group interviews but they aren't that common...whatever happens I'm sure you'll have to have part of your interview on your own, so just be prepared. The usual questions, like why you want to work there etc but don't worry it's very easy. They employ literally anyone (and I'm not dissing it, I work there myself)

I think it's around 6.08 for retail operative, well it is for me. But I guess there are differences between stores.

It depends what kind of environment you like, I don't thinks its the best place to be honest, it's extremely fast paced, if you are used to laid back work then it will be verrry different. The thing I hate most is that the supervisors/managers often look down on you as they have this 'position' which is really annoying, as they are basically all thick themselves and don't do any work. But yes the really good thing is that they have so much overtime! So even you get more hours like you say, they normally will have loads of extra shifts you can fill

Sorry if this was no help, but I tried answering your questions!

ReputationRep:
    I had an interview 18 months ago.

It was new store opening so there was more applicants than usual.

We had a group session first where they talked about the company etc then we had a 1 to 1 interview.

I think the pay is approx £5.73 per hour.

ReputationRep:
    I work in H&M and me and my Manager were discussing about applicants who come in for interviews etc, the most important thing is to research the company, prove you have the capability for the job (sell yourself) and remember to dress smartly..

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by triangle_eyes)
    Go smart, it's always better to look smarter than under-dressed; and it would give a better impression that you care about wanting to get the job.

I had a 1 on 1 interview, I think that's common for Primark. I have heard of people doing group interviews but they aren't that common...whatever happens I'm sure you'll have to have part of your interview on your own, so just be prepared. The usual questions, like why you want to work there etc but don't worry it's very easy. They employ literally anyone (and I'm not dissing it, I work there myself)

I think it's around 6.08 for retail operative, well it is for me. But I guess there are differences between stores.

It depends what kind of environment you like, I don't thinks its the best place to be honest, it's extremely fast paced, if you are used to laid back work then it will be verrry different. The thing I hate most is that the supervisors/managers often look down on you as they have this 'position' which is really annoying, as they are basically all thick themselves and don't do any work. But yes the really good thing is that they have so much overtime! So even you get more hours like you say, they normally will have loads of extra shifts you can fill

Sorry if this was no help, but I tried answering your questions!
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

I don't mind working in a busy place, I actually get bored if I'm sat around doing nothing or have nothing to do. But I'll go in and see what they say and offer, at that rate of pay it would probably work out after petrol and parking about the same in terms of my 16 hours to their 20 hours (accounting for £4 parking fee 5 times a week, plus petrol for a 5 to 10 mile trip).

I guess the idea of working with new people is appealing, got an issue with one person in question at my current work. Not a bad issue per se, just, well, an awkward one lol. But thanks, and hopefully all goes well tomorrow and I'll be able to make a decision on what fits best.

ReputationRep:
    This is good advice, thanks a lot this is really reassuring. Any other example questions guys?

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.