Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, this could get complex but i'd really appreciate some input...

I'm currently holding offers from:
    University of Manchester - Politics and International Relations - AAB
    University of Newcastle - Politics and Sociology - BBB
    University of Leicester- Poltics - ABB

To get an A in Sociology I need 86/120 in June
    To get an A in History I need 100/120
    To get an A in English Language I need 100/120

I'm resitting my AS English Language Coursework and Communism and Democracy AS History module and hope to make up around 10 UMS on both.

I really loved Manchester, but it seems impossible to attain at the moment especially as there won't be any grade leniency this year. I went to a De Montford open day with my mate and Leicester was meh as a city I found, i'm going to the actual Leicester open day in April so I might change my opinion about it. Newcastle I liked too, more than Leicester, but I'm worried if I put Manchester as firm and don't get in, accommodation will be hard to find or really poor at Newcastle.

Sorry if this is making little sense.

Could I then, put Newcastle as my firm, Manchester as my insurance, then if I get the grades for Manchester go there and if not go to Newcastle. Or can you not do that?

Any help is greatly appreciated, because at the moment I don't know if I'm putting myself out doing loads of extra work for no reason or not.
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebloc)
    Could I then, put Newcastle as my firm, Manchester as my insurance, then if I get the grades for Manchester go there and if not go to Newcastle. Or can you not do that?

As far as I know you cannot do this, if you get the grades for your firm you automatically go there. Sorry
    This is a tricky one though, how likely do you think you are to get AAB? I mean is this what you should really get so long as nothing goes wrong or is it quite aspirational (or somewhere in the middle)?
    Which do you actually like better out of Newcastle and Manchester?
    It might be worth emailing Newcastle to ask what happens about accommodation for insurance applicants/what accomm you're likely to get.

ReputationRep:
    Ah damn, I thought I could beat the system...

I'm probably somewhere in the middle, my teachers think that I'm either going to get the A's or get very close. Which would be crushing.

I'll email Newcastle about accommodation that's a good idea. I prefer Manchester over Newcastle, but Newcastle is still a great place.

ReputationRep:
    Ah damn, I thought I could beat the system...

I'm probably somewhere in the middle, my teachers think that I'm either going to get the A's or get very close. Which would be crushing.

I'll email Newcastle about accommodation that's a good idea. I prefer Manchester over Newcastle, but Newcastle is still a great place.
    You sound like you really like Manchester, and it does also sound as though it's a fairly realistic choice. If you have three subjects that you're fairly close to getting A's in, your offer from Manchester means you could afford to slip up in one of them and get a B.
    Another thing to ask yourself is that if you didn't put Manchester but then you got the grades for it, would you regret it?

ReputationRep:
    I really would regret not applying. You speak a lot of sense, thanks very much for all your help

ReputationRep:
    I really would regret not applying. You speak a lot of sense, thanks very much for all your help
    No probs, i was just trying to think about if i hadn't firmed the uni i really want to go to and got the grades-i would be crushed! (i still have to get the grades tho)

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you love Manc ( I understand why ) so just firm it and work your arse off to get the grades?!

In terms of accommodation it seems alot for unis this year have just put on just a conditional offer basis instead of firm or insurance. if Newcastle does that, there's still the possibility of getting fairly decent accommodation? Go with the one you like the most and just have the mentality that you can and will achieve the grades, it'll make working towards it easier as you'll be more determined .

ReputationRep:
    Hey, this could get complex but i'd really appreciate some input...

I'm currently holding offers from:
    University of Manchester - Politics and International Relations - AAB
    University of Newcastle - Politics and Sociology - BBB
    University of Leicester- Poltics - ABB

To get an A in Sociology I need 86/120 in June
    To get an A in History I need 100/120
    To get an A in English Language I need 100/120

I'm resitting my AS English Language Coursework and Communism and Democracy AS History module and hope to make up around 10 UMS on both.

I really loved Manchester, but it seems impossible to attain at the moment especially as there won't be any grade leniency this year. I went to a De Montford open day with my mate and Leicester was meh as a city I found, i'm going to the actual Leicester open day in April so I might change my opinion about it. Newcastle I liked too, more than Leicester, but I'm worried if I put Manchester as firm and don't get in, accommodation will be hard to find or really poor at Newcastle.

Sorry if this is making little sense.

Any help is greatly appreciated, because at the moment I don't know if I'm putting myself out doing loads of extra work for no reason or not.
    Gotta make your mind up, which offer can you takeeeeee?

ReputationRep:
    That is fantastic

Edit: to the Rebecca Black quoting

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.