Turn on thread page Beta

Daewoo Matiz for first car? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi I just passed my test recently and i'm looking to buy a new car. My budget is around £1500 so I was just wondering if one of these would be fine for a first car since I need a small car 1-1.3l to keep the insurance low.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't buy any car that won't top 100mph. doing 100 mph down the M4 was the most bad ass thing i ever did at 17

ReputationRep:
    I dont think you will find that the Matiz will be much cheaper to insure than a 'normal' car. Cheaper, sure, but not to the extent that its worth driving something so unsafe and slow.

Us young drivers get nailed by insurance companies, unfortunately there is no way out of it - not even being prepared to drive a shopping trolley.

ReputationRep:
    nooooooooooooooooooooo...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFatController)
    I dont think you will find that the Matiz will be much cheaper to insure than a 'normal' car. Cheaper, sure, but not to the extent that its worth driving something so unsafe and slow.

Us young drivers get nailed by insurance companies, unfortunately there is no way out of it - not even being prepared to drive a shopping trolley.
    Would a ford ka be better than one of these then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tudorian)
    In what respect?

Although Ford Kas are hardly brilliant, I imagine they would still beat a Matiz in most areas.

ReputationRep:
    A Fiat Panda would be a better first car than this Daewoo.

The Ford KA, they are okay, just make sure you examine it thoroughly before buying one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFatController)
    In what respect?

Although Ford Kas are hardly brilliant, I imagine they would still beat a Matiz in most areas.
    Just as better as a general car since you said the daewoo is unsafe and slow lol.
    Btw what sort of millage should i be looking at for these small types of cars? for example clio, punto, polo and the ka. Do you think in the region of 40,000 to 70,000 miles ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A daewoo matiz is ok as your first car. They arent my cup of tea, but they are perfectly fine cars and there is nothing wrong with them.
    But seriously, dont get a ka, whatever you do. They may be cheap to buy, but they are bad for everything else.
    *They are quite expensive to insure (i found that one out when getting quotes),
    *They can be quite expensive to tax (my grandmas was just over £200 for a year),
    *They are mega bad for rust, even newer ones rust badly, and the only way to sort it properly is to replace the whole panel.
    *There is no room in them for anything at all. Other cars such as micras, puntos, fiestas, and even daewoo matiz's have a decent amount of room in for a small car.
    I dont know why people rave about them really. Even the bolkewho runs the garage where i brought my car from said to my dad that he wouldnt even touch one unless he had no choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    A daewoo matiz is ok as your first car. They arent my cup of tea, but they are perfectly fine cars and there is nothing wrong with them.
    But seriously, dont get a ka, whatever you do. They may be cheap to buy, but they are bad for everything else.
    *They are quite expensive to insure (i found that one out when getting quotes),
    *They can be quite expensive to tax (my grandmas was just over £200 for a year),
    *They are mega bad for rust, even newer ones rust badly, and the only way to sort it properly is to replace the whole panel.
    *There is no room in them for anything at all. Other cars such as micras, puntos, fiestas, and even daewoo matiz's have a decent amount of room in for a small car.
    I dont know why people rave about them really. Even the bolkewho runs the garage where i brought my car from said to my dad that he wouldnt even touch one unless he had no choice.
    Ah I see. What car do you drive just out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    Don't get a Matiz - I have one, and I hate it! It's ridiculously slow and has almost no power at all, I really have to rev it to pull away at roundabouts/traffic lights!

Although the tax/insurance/fuel consumption is very low :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francesca88)
    Don't get a Matiz - I have one, and I hate it! It's ridiculously slow and has almost no power at all, I really have to rev it to pull away at roundabouts/traffic lights!

Although the tax/insurance/fuel consumption is very low :-)
    Ahh =[ My uncle told me they would be too small for me anyway cause i'm like 6ft Lol.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ah I see. What car do you drive just out of interest?
    I drive a micra. And up untill i got that a few months ago i had a punto.

ReputationRep:
    They were one of the cars I was looking at for my first car till I went it one I hated it!
    Why don't you test drive one before you rule it out?

And there not really the cheapest car to insure they are about the same as a fiestas, puntos, kas and corsas.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I just passed my test recently and i'm looking to buy a new car. My budget is around £1500 so I was just wondering if one of these would be fine for a first car since I need a small car 1-1.3l to keep the insurance low.
    My mum has a chevrolet matiz which is very nice to drive in and good to drive as a first car- I love it

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of getting one just because they seem to sell at a really low price, but with a 0.8L engine I was put off - imagine trying to drive on a motorway/dual carriage way! A ford fiesta/Ka might be a good alternative - probably more reliable too

ReputationRep:
    You might find a car with a larger engine is actually cheaper to insure as not many teenagers buy them.

I've got a Vauxhall Astra 1.6 for £1,250/year (18 y.o. male), I know a friend who has a Ford Ka 1.1 and pays about £2,500/year.

ReputationRep:
    Don't they come with a Chevy small block?

(Very small block that is!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tba90)
    They were one of the cars I was looking at for my first car till I went it one I hated it!
    Why don't you test drive one before you rule it out?

And there not really the cheapest car to insure they are about the same as a fiestas, puntos, kas and corsas.
    I think i've gone completely off the matiz now. I think it will just feel too slow.

I think i'm jus gonna carry on looking for a fiat punto/ka/clio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    I drive a micra. And up untill i got that a few months ago i had a punto.
    Hey do you know if City rover solo's are any good cars?

I've seen a 53 plate one with 60,000 miles for £900. Just wondering if this is a good buy or not =[ ?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.