Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Daewoo Matiz for first car? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tudorian)
    Hey do you know if City rover solo's are any good cars?

I've seen a 53 plate one with 60,000 miles for £900. Just wondering if this is a good buy or not =[ ?
    I like the look of them but my dad said when i was looking at cars that they arent that good. From what he had found out, they arent very well built, they are expencive on tax and they arent very good on petrol.

ReputationRep:
    Hey do you know if City rover solo's are any good cars?

I've seen a 53 plate one with 60,000 miles for £900. Just wondering if this is a good buy or not =[ ?
    Just no.

Suzuki Alto or Nissan Micra would be my choice. I'm an MOT tester...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    A Fiat Panda would be a better first car than this Daewoo.

The Ford KA, they are okay, just make sure you examine it thoroughly before buying one.
    No, just no.
    Fiats can sometimes be a bit dodgy electrics wise anyway. And pandas are just the worst cars ever. Id rather drive around in a shopping trolley.

ReputationRep:
    I think i've gone completely off the matiz now. I think it will just feel too slow.

I think i'm jus gonna carry on looking for a fiat punto/ka/clio.
    I had a punto and it was an absolute nightmare. I must've ended up spending more on repairs than I did on the car in the first place. Literally every month something would be wrong with it, it was a great car to drive when it was running fine but there was just something all the time. Not sure if I just got the short end of the stick but I'd be careful around puntos, and Fiat in general.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately regardless of make or model, you get good and bad cars, sometimes its the luck of the draw.

Avoid rovers they are just ****!

At your budget the condition of the car you are buying is more important than the make and model, all cars have their problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curzon)
    I had a punto and it was an absolute nightmare. I must've ended up spending more on repairs than I did on the car in the first place. Literally every month something would be wrong with it, it was a great car to drive when it was running fine but there was just something all the time. Not sure if I just got the short end of the stick but I'd be careful around puntos, and Fiat in general.
    My punto was like that too. Mine ran fine but quite a few things went wrong with it. I would still reccommend puntos as they are good cars. But they can just sometimes have dodgy electrics, just like all fiats (it was electrical stuff that went wrong wth mine). It just depends if you get a good one or a bad one. A girl i work with has one just like my old one and she has never had any problems with hers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    No, just no.
    Fiats can sometimes be a bit dodgy electrics wise anyway. And pandas are just the worst cars ever. Id rather drive around in a shopping trolley.
    Statistics seem to suggest otherwise

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/

Try entering your car, the Panda, the Matiz and your previous car Surprised me as well.

Can start here too :-
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...able-cars.html

The stats are quite reliable due to the provider.

ReputationRep:
    Every time I overtake a Daewoo Matiz I laugh. 800cc engine LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmzie-Coupe)
    Every time I overtake a Daewoo Matiz I laugh. 800cc engine LOL
    ... and what beast are you rocking, then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    ... and what beast are you rocking, then?
    M3 lad.

ReputationRep:
    I have a daewoo matiz, and it's perfect for me, top speed of 85 mph so not great for long motorway journeys but still capable, and it is nippyer than people think. I think most people are too speed focused, I easily get over 100 miles on £10 of petrol so that's a massive plus, as well as cheap insurance, 5 doors, 2 airbags, very easy to work on. But as someone else said, it's luck of the draw, whatever car you decide to buy, make sure it's not been thrashed, check the history and if it's been lowered or fake exhausts or anything then walk away. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    M3 lad.
    So, totally the same price bracket then... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    So, totally the same price bracket then... :rolleyes:
    Never said it was.

ReputationRep:
    M3 lad.
    tiny penis then...

ReputationRep:
    No I am sorry but it's way too much of an embarassing car.

Springs to mind.

ReputationRep:
    Why not a corsa/fiesta for a first car, they are both pretty decent superminis for first drivers. I drive a corsa 1.4 and it does have some grunt to it. Both have low tax and insurance, I paid 1500 for my first year on my corsa which I thought was a good price considering I was a 18 year old male.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    tiny penis then...
    Much like your father. Your biological one that is.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.