Turn on thread page Beta

Marcel’s criticisms of Sartre’s philosophy? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've just read an extract from Gabriel Marcel's 'The Philosophy of Existentialism', the chapter entitled 'Existence and Human Freedom'. It's supposed to be a critique of Sartre but I'm struggling to understand where and how he criticises Satre. Can anyone be of any help?

ReputationRep:
    I tried to read Sartre's big old book on existentialism and I never managed to get to the third page of the introduction. It completely bewildered me, I don't know what retard translated that thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovecraft243)
    I've just read an extract from Gabriel Marcel's 'The Philosophy of Existentialism', the chapter entitled 'Existence and Human Freedom'. It's supposed to be a critique of Sartre but I'm struggling to understand where and how he criticises Satre. Can anyone be of any help?
    try the marcel_human_freedom-1.pdf on moodle^^ - last minute essays rule

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meloncoly)
    try the marcel_human_freedom-1.pdf on moodle^^ - last minute essays rule
    no lectures or seminars attended, and no reading done and an essay deadline in 3 days ftl. Want to get everything completely done before I go to bed lol.

An then a politcs essay which I am in the same boat for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    no lectures or seminars attended, and no reading done and an essay deadline in 3 days ftl. Want to get everything completely done before I go to bed lol.

An then a politcs essay which I am in the same boat for
    I just smashed out 2 philosophy essays - only with the intention of passing. Mostly blagging it with paraphrasing. I haven't attended any lectures - and about half the seminars. If you're doing the Marcel on Sartre question, there's some good stuff here http://www.csus.edu/indiv/d/dimarep/...us_thought.pdf

only my social anth to go now... :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meloncoly)
    I just smashed out 2 philosophy essays - only with the intention of passing. Mostly blagging it with paraphrasing. I haven't attended any lectures - and about half the seminars. If you're doing the Marcel on Sartre question, there's some good stuff here http://www.csus.edu/indiv/d/dimarep/...us_thought.pdf

only my social anth to go now... :/
    existentialism just seems way too abstract for me and I just don't understand the relevance of it to anything, and haven't from the start, it is just too confusing for me. All this stuff about the in itself, being, for-itself and all that just confuses me. I really regret picking it to be honest, these guys are all too confusing. I dont really understand what they are trying to show and what point they are trying to get to.

the lecture notes are useless as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    existentialism just seems way too abstract for me and I just don't understand the relevance of it to anything, and haven't from the start, it is just too confusing for me. All this stuff about the in itself, being, for-itself and all that just confuses me. I really regret picking it to be honest, these guys are all too confusing. I dont really understand what they are trying to show and what point they are trying to get to.

the lecture notes are useless as well.
    Existentialism has to do with your life.

Well, it's hard to understand it without first knowing the basic history behind it. Of course, that Sartre's philosophical work is voluminous and poor doesn't help much either.

You should think big, but start small. Get Existentialism - a very short introduction, if you'd like to read about it. Check out these lectures if you want to hear about it.

Essentially (hee hee), what you need to keep in mind about existentialism is that it focuses on the concrete human experience, and it's a step forward in doing away with confusing symbols of reality for reality itself. Also, it's influence has not been so much in Philosophy as it has been in literature, and for that I recommend the plays of Camus, Sartre, and also absurdist theater in general, and the novels of, especially, Sartre ("Nausea") and Hesse. Why not Camus' too? Can't and won't tell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hi I'm Vivi)
    Existentialism has to do with your life.

Well, it's hard to understand it without first knowing the basic history behind it. Of course, that Sartre's philosophical work is voluminous and poor doesn't help much either.

You should think big, but start small. Get Existentialism - a very short introduction, if you'd like to read about it. Check out these lectures if you want to hear about it.

Essentially (hee hee), what you need to keep in mind about existentialism is that it focuses on the concrete human experience, and it's a step forward in doing away with confusing symbols of reality for reality itself. Also, it's influence has not been so much in Philosophy as it has been in literature, and for that I recommend the plays of Camus, Sartre, and also absurdist theater in general, and the novels of, especially, Sartre ("Nausea") and Hesse. Why not Camus' too? Can't and won't tell.
    I could do that,except I need to get the essay done and finished before I go to bed. I have to get that and a politics one done before 8pm tomorrow so I can be completely unreserved for my end of term drinking sesh

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.