Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here on Lichess? Pretty good to teach yourself some tactics and improve your game.

Anyone know any decent chess books? My opening is pretty good, but my middle game is my achilies heel.

And if anyone wants to perfect their openings; this website is pretty cool:

http://www.dwheeler.com/chess-openings/
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Study Helper
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    alright , will try next time when you'r online ..What's the usual time you play?
    Depends :dontknow: .. My most predictable time will be after 9pm. Any time before that I could get called away at any moment for one thing or another, which isn't fun .. At the moment though, I've messed up my computer, so I'll probably be spending the next few days attempting to fix it and get overly paranoid about system vulnerabilities

I knew that obviously
    Sorry, I didn't know exactly what you were trying to ask. I thought I would cover all bases

(Original post by TCW)
    Do any of you guys play real-life tournaments?
    Nah. I can't get to any of them. Hopefully I'll start playing in the Coventry league at in October, as that's where the society plays :dance:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Kidms001)
    Sure! It'll have to be after the apprentice then, as my time is pretty unpredictable up to about 9-15pm, so it'd be better if I didn't make any promises
    I seem to have missed you last night(no pun intended), we'll have to arrange another time to have our re-match

I'm free in the evening, I'm slightly worried about playing rated games as I haven't found my game yet, is it ok if we do unrated? I'd rather leave my rating as it is so I can pick up from where I left off once I find my form
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    I seem to have missed you last night(no pun intended), we'll have to arrange another time to have our re-match

I'm free in the evening, I'm slightly worried about playing rated games as I haven't found my game yet, is it ok if we do unrated? I'd rather leave my rating as it is so I can pick up from where I left off once I find my form
    Haha! Sorry. I messed up my computer yesterday, so I wasn't online. If you log on and I'm not there, don't hang around as odds are I won't be on :teehee: I should be there when you log on if I fancy playing chess for the evening
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Study Helper
    . . .
    Thanks for playing! We're so evenly matched it's unbelievable! :jumphug: .. Let's make sure we play again soon
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Play on both Chesscube and Chess.com under the same username for each. "ScottLovesYou" give me an add if anyone fancies someone else to play or a bunny to stomp

Been playing online chess here and there since October, never put any effort into "studying" chess but it would be interesting to see how I fair against some of you stronger players.

ReputationRep:
    I have been playing chess at chess.com since april 2010. I don't play blitz so I'm worse in real chess. My online chess rating is 17xx but I'm beating 18xx these days, I think I will be 18xx soon and maybe 19xx in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Kotov Syndrome, how I LOATHE thee!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a clue how to play chess.

Someone teach me how to play it!
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Study Helper
    Wow... This is the highest amount of activity on here I've seen for a while :sexface:

(Original post by mckinnon94)
    Play on both Chesscube and Chess.com under the same username for each. "ScottLovesYou" give me an add if anyone fancies someone else to play or a bunny to stomp

Been playing online chess here and there since October, never put any effort into "studying" chess but it would be interesting to see how I fair against some of you stronger players.
    Sent you an add on chess.com .. You really aren't that bad compared to the majority of players on here. However, avoid the person below, as there's only one other person on here that I know could give him a challenge

(Original post by zanahoria)
    I have been playing chess at chess.com since april 2010. I don't play blitz so I'm worse in real chess. My online chess rating is 17xx but I'm beating 18xx these days, I think I will be 18xx soon and maybe 19xx in the future.
    The closest to you is Emott who currently plays at 1663. SilentStalker plays at ~2150, so also give him a go .. The rest of us play around 1300-1550 so you're too good for us

(Original post by King_Blumpkins)
    Kotov Syndrome, how I LOATHE thee!!!!
    +rep as I agree :rofl: .. Do you have a chess.com name?

(Original post by Pochi_X)

If you seriously would like to learn, take a look here. We could help you if you wanted, but it'd be better for you to learn at your own pace than having to wait hours for a response for a question

ReputationRep:
    Don't use Chess.com I use Lichess, which is pretty decent.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else who doesn't like learning silly strategies and like to just go with the flow of the game, which then ends up being really really long due to alot of thinking.

Learning strategies makes me really annoyed, unless it's one that I've made up myself otherwise it's just like cheating.

ReputationRep:
    If you seriously would like to learn, take a look here. We could help you if you wanted, but it'd be better for you to learn at your own pace than having to wait hours for a response for a question
    Thanks for the link!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Pochi_X)

What sites do you play on? I'm not very experienced myself but I know all the basics. I play on chess.com and chesscube under "ScottLovesYou" give me an add if you want, willing to play on any other sites too :P

If you have Skype it'd make things so much easier!

ReputationRep:
    The closest to you is Emott who currently plays at 1663. SilentStalker plays at ~2150, so also give him a go .. The rest of us play around 1300-1550 so you're too good for us
    nah, I've been beaten by higher ratings and lower ratings as well. Thanks for the heads up.

(Original post by King_Blumpkins)
    Don't use Chess.com I use Lichess, which is pretty decent.
    Although I've only played on chess.com, I have to say I am very amazed with chess.com. It's a great site.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Thanks for playing! We're so evenly matched it's unbelievable! :jumphug: .. Let's make sure we play again soon
    It was 3 good games, I can't believe I didn't spot the checkmate in the last game! I'm sure I would've had you if I'd kept my eyes open. If we keep this up we'll be memorising each others openings :cool: Going through the games I only spotted a couple of blunders, which is good, it means I'm getting my form back. I've also noticed over our 5 games history, whoever was whites has won each game! I shall be looking forward to meeting you at Warwick(hopefully).

If anyone else is up for a game on chess.com my user is the same as my TSR one, Eloades11. My highest rating is 1379 which is currently what it's on now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mckinnon94)
    What sites do you play on? I'm not very experienced myself but I know all the basics. I play on chess.com and chesscube under "ScottLovesYou" give me an add if you want, willing to play on any other sites too :P

If you have Skype it'd make things so much easier!
    Not so keen into learning chess at the moment, got more important stuff to do now, from work to completing my applying to university and visa, too many things to do.
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Study Helper
    Anybody else been sad enough to be keeping on top of the World Team Championships? Chess.com TV's covering the final round tomorrow. 4am till possibly 11am
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Not me nope, I haven't really been following much grandmaster chess games apart from the ones posted on chess.com every now and then.

Anyway here's an interesting tournament game I had if anyone is up for reviewing it I can't remember why I played 14.Ne4 and I'm sure I had better moves available to me like 14.Bg4
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1.e4e5
    2.Nf3Nf6
    3.Nc3Bb4
    4.Nxe5Bxc3
    5.bxc3d6
    6.Nf3Nxe4
    7.Bd3Nf6
    8.O-OO-O
    9.Ng5Re8
    10.Bc4d5
    11.Bb3h6
    12.Nf3Nc6
    13.d4a5
    14.a4Ne4
    15.c4Nb4
    16.cxd5Nxd5
    17.Ne5Be6
    18.Re1Nef6
    19.c4Nb4
    20.d5Bg4
    21.Nxg4Nxg4
    22.Qxg4Rxe1#
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Study Helper
    Anyway here's an interesting tournament game I had if anyone is up for reviewing it I can't remember why I played 14.Ne4 and I'm sure I had better moves available to me like 14.Bg4
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1.e4e5
    2.Nf3Nf6
    3.Nc3Bb4
    4.Nxe5Bxc3
    5.bxc3d6
    6.Nf3Nxe4
    7.Bd3Nf6
    8.O-OO-O
    9.Ng5Re8
    10.Bc4d5
    11.Bb3h6
    12.Nf3Nc6
    13.d4a5
    14.a4Ne4
    15.c4Nb4
    16.cxd5Nxd5
    17.Ne5Be6
    18.Re1Nef6
    19.c4Nb4
    20.d5Bg4
    21.Nxg4Nxg4
    22.Qxg4Rxe1#
    I'll give it a go

Let's see...

Immediately when black plays 2... Nf6 in response to 2. Nf3 we're into a Russian opening (which I despise with a passion. There's a brilliant amount of tactics to play which are actually covered in a few chess.com videos. VERY interesting and horrible :holmes:).

With 4... Bxc3 , we're out of theory. According to the chess.com database, only 5 GM games have been played with these opening 4 moves, with 3 wins for white, 2 draws and no wins for black.

After 7... Nf6 , black's position isn't very developed. It just looks, I don't know, too passive with no prospects yet. Even with the double pawns on the c-file, white is probably preferable holding the next move. Mind you, other than playing 7... Nc5 to attack the bishop on d3, black has nothing else to really do.

Actually, could someone else check that position please? If black played 7... Nc5 attacking the d3 bishop what could happen? 8. Bc4 could be met with d5? 8.Bb5+ can be met with c6? And playing 8. Be2 seem a little counter-intuitive as it prevents the queen development for a few moves... Interesting :holmes:

After both sides castling on move 8, I would like white to grab the open e-file with the rook moving to e1. Ng5 looks like a very empty threat against h7 . In response, black took the e-file. That move could have been played after h6 perhaps to target the misplaced knight? :dontknow:

10.Bc4 seems like another free developing move for black? However, the following moves were played how I would expect :yep: Ending up with the knight back on Nf3 :rolleyes: .. However, an aggressive move would have been to throw c5 in there instead of Nc6

14... Ne4 was a little premature for black, and was countered well by playing straight up with c4 :yep: .. Next, black plays Nb4? I'm actually confused as to why he didn't take the pawn .. Granted that after bishop takes white's control of the centre (5th rank) is dominating, but I can't fault it. Reposition the c6 knight and prepare a queenside pawn counter? :dontknow:

Anyway, after Nxd5, does an immediate c4 look good here? Actually, if Re1 is played, black may be tempted to place his targeted knight onto the c3 square. Qd3 traps it (but the bishop is still needed to capture it). c4 would allow the targeted knight on c3 followed by a check.

18. Re1 finally followed by c4 I like.

Now to end, it just looks like white blundered :emo: .. After Nxg4 Nxg4 I think that the black rook is just asking to be taken! After the queen takes, place the bishop on f4 or something (targeting the pawn) and the back rank checkmate is prevented :emo:

Anyway, I liked that game after looking at it for about 40 minutes. I think that blacks Nb4 allowed white to attack down the middle which opened it up a great lot. I can see the game being very drawish if white had spotted the back rank mate

I tried to view the game as neutral as possible and is probably a very poor analysis, but hey! I hope someone enjoyed it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 21, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.