TSR chess society watch

Announcements
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Kidms001)
    I'll give it a go

Let's see...

Immediately when black plays 2... Nf6 in response to 2. Nf3 we're into a Russian opening (which I despise with a passion. There's a brilliant amount of tactics to play which are actually covered in a few chess.com videos. VERY interesting and horrible :holmes:).

With 4... Bxc3 , we're out of theory. According to the chess.com database, only 5 GM games have been played with these opening 4 moves, with 3 wins for white, 2 draws and no wins for black.

After 7... Nf6 , black's position isn't very developed. It just looks, I don't know, too passive with no prospects yet. Even with the double pawns on the c-file, white is probably preferable holding the next move. Mind you, other than playing 7... Nc5 to attack the bishop on d3, black has nothing else to really do.

Actually, could someone else check that position please? If black played 7... Nc5 attacking the d3 bishop what could happen? 8. Bc4 could be met with d5? 8.Bb5+ can be met with c6? And playing 8. Be2 seem a little counter-intuitive as it prevents the queen development for a few moves... Interesting :holmes:

After both sides castling on move 8, I would like white to grab the open e-file with the rook moving to e1. Ng5 looks like a very empty threat against h7 . In response, black took the e-file. That move could have been played after h6 perhaps to target the misplaced knight? :dontknow:

10.Bc4 seems like another free developing move for black? However, the following moves were played how I would expect :yep: Ending up with the knight back on Nf3 :rolleyes: .. However, an aggressive move would have been to throw c5 in there instead of Nc6

14... Ne4 was a little premature for black, and was countered well by playing straight up with c4 :yep: .. Next, black plays Nb4? I'm actually confused as to why he didn't take the pawn .. Granted that after bishop takes white's control of the centre (5th rank) is dominating, but I can't fault it. Reposition the c6 knight and prepare a queenside pawn counter? :dontknow:

Anyway, after Nxd5, does an immediate c4 look good here? Actually, if Re1 is played, black may be tempted to place his targeted knight onto the c3 square. Qd3 traps it (but the bishop is still needed to capture it). c4 would allow the targeted knight on c3 followed by a check.

18. Re1 finally followed by c4 I like.

Now to end, it just looks like white blundered :emo: .. After Nxg4 Nxg4 I think that the black rook is just asking to be taken! After the queen takes, place the bishop on f4 or something (targeting the pawn) and the back rank checkmate is prevented :emo:

Anyway, I liked that game after looking at it for about 40 minutes. I think that blacks Nb4 allowed white to attack down the middle which opened it up a great lot. I can see the game being very drawish if white had spotted the back rank mate

I tried to view the game as neutral as possible and is probably a very poor analysis, but hey! I hope someone enjoyed it
    Thanks for that, I was playing black, I liked the opening but I'll admit Bxc3 was a weird one from my view. I did enjoy that game though, I thought he was going to beat me until he missed my mating opportunity. I'm glad he did though, my rating was 945 and his was 1441 xD

Again I agree with all the moves you've suggested lol
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

Very instructive game between Master Bates and Master Jones.

Master Bates. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silentalker)
    Hi,
    my ECF will be around 180 in september although I reckon if I knew my openings well enough :yawn: I'd be about 200 strength. Not got my FIDE yet, although I've just started playing 4NCL, and I'm expecting to be around 2150. That's assuming I'm using the Fide rating calculator right anyway.
    Heya,

I'm 179 ECF at the moment, although I'll be 175 when the new season starts. Don't have a FIDE.

Do you fancy playing a few games over the internet sometime? I don't mind whether we play blitz/rapidplay or correspondence

Tariq

ReputationRep:
    By the way did anyone watch the British Championships? Here's a link to the games: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess...1&crosstable=1

My buddy Yang-Fan Zhou drew with British number 1 Adams in the final round! We went to the same secondary school. I was Board 1 for the first team, and he was Board 2. I was 17, and he was 11...

He's now 17 and doing great!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Wow. I'd almost forgotten this thread. Anyone who plays for their university in the Midlands area better watch out this October

ReputationRep:
    i've ordered The Luzhin Defence on amazon and it should be here shortly. Recommend me some other books to improve my game

Also, how would I go about playing professional Chess? I know i'd have to play some tournaments, but I would like to play some where prize money is involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    Haha ..I only started playing like 4 months ago...you will be suprised how much you can improve with a little bit of tactics and opening theory..
    which uni do you go to btw ?.. Im lucky enough to have a chess society at our's and some of them are even rated at 2300 ..
    Just stumbled on this society :woo:. I'm trying to improve my game, just started playing too. Could you recommend any sites for good game tips/theories?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by X_mark_the_spot)
    Just stumbled on this society :woo:. I'm trying to improve my game, just started playing too. Could you recommend any sites for good game tips/theories?
    chess.com , gameknot , chescube are all good sites . If you have started , you dont really need any theories .As you play more , you learn more how to use pins , forks etc etc.. You need theories only after a certain level . But even for a beginner , Aron Nimsztowich (sp?) , my system is the best . It takes you from hwo to play the openiong to end gamesand everything ..sadly I have read only the first few pages , but finishing the book will vastly improve your game . And play often ..
    Good luck :top:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Hello all, it seems like this thread has died

Here is an interesting game I had against my uncle, I believe I should have won if I played 63.Ke4, but it was a great game to play. If anyone could give me any feedback on which moves could have been better that would be great!
    *cough*
    (Original post by Nirgilis)
    x

http://www.chess.com/echess/game.html?id=47269963
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I'll take a look at it tomorrow :ahee:

On a related note, did anyone watch/or is watching chess.com's 'The World Vs IM's David Pruess and Danny Rensch'? IM Rensch is my personal hero, so just having a chance to play against him (even if it was with 3,999 other members) was amazing :love:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I'll take a look at it tomorrow :ahee:

On a related note, did anyone watch/or is watching chess.com's 'The World Vs IM's David Pruess and Danny Rensch'? IM Rensch is my personal hero, so just having a chance to play against him (even if it was with 3,999 other members) was amazing :love:
    Thanks Nope I decided to sit this game out, as I clicked on it and 15 moves had already been done, plus I couldn't watch the stream, you need to be a diamond member I think.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    Thanks Nope I decided to sit this game out, as I clicked on it and 15 moves had already been done, plus I couldn't watch the stream, you need to be a diamond member I think.
    It was brilliant! (if you could see the stream). They made it really entertaining. They had things like blitz matches in between moves, thumb wars and dance offs to decide which move to make, and they even had the site's admins and owners giving talks on the site and upcoming features when Danny and David were thinking. Danny Rensch is my personal hero, but after this broadcast he's reached saint status for me :yep:

And the world won because they set up a chat room and had chess engines running the moves through. The World's rating for the game was 2750 :zomg:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    It was brilliant! (if you could see the stream). They made it really entertaining. They had things like blitz matches in between moves, thumb wars and dance offs to decide which move to make, and they even had the site's admins and owners giving talks on the site and upcoming features when Danny and David were thinking. Danny Rensch is my personal hero, but after this broadcast he's reached saint status for me :yep:

And the world won because they set up a chat room and had chess engines running the moves through. The World's rating for the game was 2750 :zomg:
    Damn! Sounds good, I'll go and review the game as soon as I get a chance to

ReputationRep:
    Check out this bad boy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Srxjer)
    Check out this bad boy.

:wtf:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Whilst we are spamming boards:

:coma: .. I think it was around £250 though :holmes:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Particularly proud of this (yeah, he blundered into it, but I'm still proud :unimpressed:):

In my 1,350 games on the site, I've never had mid-game, minor piece check mate :dance: .. That bishop and knight did work hard throughout the game though :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Just a thought

Who would be up for a chess meetup say in london during christmas holidays? So , we meet each other and play some casual chess ?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    A puzzle for ye all. Mate in 3 or less. Forced mate in 3 (as ever, answers in spoilers)

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, just introducing myself. I'm based in Scotland and my local rating is in the 1800s. My FIDE is over 2000 however the two tournaments through which I gained that rating were played 2 years apart, so it's not particularly reliable. I didn't know that there were so many players on this site!

I'm not a fan of playing internet blitz (because it's addictive and I'm terrible at it) but if anyone wants a game I have a chess.com account - 11thHeaven is my username.

(Original post by rbnphlp)
    chess.com , gameknot , chescube are all good sites . If you have started , you dont really need any theories .As you play more , you learn more how to use pins , forks etc etc.. You need theories only after a certain level . But even for a beginner , Aron Nimsztowich (sp?) , my system is the best . It takes you from hwo to play the openiong to end gamesand everything ..sadly I have read only the first few pages , but finishing the book will vastly improve your game . And play often ..
    Good luck :top:
    It's interesting what you say about My System. I've never read it although I am of course aware of it's huge status. However, I have gone through Secrets of Modern Chess Strategy by John Watson, which is in some sense dedicating to debunking Nimzowitsch's teachings on the game, and illustrating how limiting chess "rules" (such as I imagined are dictated in My System) can be beyond the basic level.

Nevertheless, I realise the importance of simplification for new students. A stranger to the game will benefit more quickly from advice such as "never leave your king in the middle" than from something like "leaving the king in the middle can be advantageous if you can get other positional benefits like the two bishops or a strong centre, although this of course needs to be balanced against whether the opponent can achieve strong outposts for his knights, and use his superior development to make weaknesses in your position...etc."

Anyway, with regards to the above puzzle, after a minute or so I can only see a mate in 4 (1...Bg5+ 2 Kh5 Qxh3+ 3 Qxh3 g6+ 4 fxg6 hxg6#) I presume this wasn't the one I was meant to be looking for?

ETA: Ahah! 1...g5+ I see it now.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.