Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    Just a thought

Who would be up for a chess meetup say in london during christmas holidays? So , we meet each other and play some casual chess ?
    Not exactly the same, but is anyone here playing in the London Chess Classic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirgilis)
    Wow. I'd almost forgotten this thread. Anyone who plays for their university in the Midlands area better watch out this October
    I might join the team at Leicester but I'm not very good. My rating on gameknot is 1079. I have improved over the last year but still not all that good. I enjoy playing though.

I got given a collectors edition Star Wars the original trilogy chess board a couple of years ago. I appreciated it but it's very hard to play with as apart from the pawns you can forget what each piece is (all the back row are different characters!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    This society needs more Go
    Oh yeaah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itchynscratchy)
    Hello, I've just joined.

I've played chess for about 12 years now, highest ECF was 151 a couple of years ago.

I also play on gameknot under the same username if anyone wants a challenge
    I liked your puzzle on gameknow. Sadly you're too good for me to challenge
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Julii92)
    Not exactly the same, but is anyone here playing in the London Chess Classic?
    No, but I want to go watch on that weekend though. Watching the chess.com coverage and realising it's only up the road was quite hard to accept last year

(Original post by SirMasterKey)
    I might join the team at Leicester but I'm not very good. My rating on gameknot is 1079. I have improved over the last year but still not all that good. I enjoy playing though.
    At that level you will improve simply by playing games! Don't give up hope, we all start down at that rating, it's just a matter of perseverance .. I started at around 1160-1200 on chesshere, but 4 years later, and thousands of games more, I play at 1550-1600 on chess.com

(Original post by Julii92)
    Anyway, with regards to the above puzzle,

Spoiler:
    Show
    after a minute or so I can only see a mate in 4 (1...Bg5+ 2 Kh5 Qxh3+ 3 Qxh3 g6+ 4 fxg6 hxg6#) I presume this wasn't the one I was meant to be looking for?

ETA: Ahah! 1...g5+ I see it now.
    That was actually a game I played. I finished the game in the way you first suggested, but a computer analysis threw up that alternate move that I completely didn't see

ReputationRep:
    N
    At that level you will improve simply by playing games! Don't give up hope, we all start down at that rating, it's just a matter of perseverance .. I started at around 1160-1200 on chesshere, but 4 years later, and thousands of games more, I play at 1550-1600 on chess.com
    Oh I definitely think I'm improving, partly by playing again, I took like a 2 year gap. As I said my rating has improved, it was down in the low 900s at one point and over the last year and a half I've got it so my average rating is 1052 for last year and 982 for all my time there. Been a member on gameknot since 2005 I think. With their chess tactics I'm beginning to get better at spotting splits etc. Still end up losing a lot but I don't mind as usually I get a good win as well.

Got to say I don't think I'll repeat (I hope not) my worst run of 19 consecutive defeats.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Oh I definitely think I'm improving, partly by playing again, I took like a 2 year gap. As I said my rating has improved, it was down in the low 900s at one point and over the last year and a half I've got it so my average rating is 1052 for last year and 982 for all my time there. Been a member on gameknot since 2005 I think. With their chess tactics I'm beginning to get better at spotting splits etc. Still end up losing a lot but I don't mind as usually I get a good win as well.

Got to say I don't think I'll repeat (I hope not) my worst run of 19 consecutive defeats.

Good! I like your attitude! Just keep at it. Who knows, we may even meet if Warwick host Leicester (or vice versa) :ninja:

And you think that losing streak is bad? :lol:

Okay, most of those were due to tournament withdrawals, but still, it's always funny to see that on the stats page

ReputationRep:
    Good! I like your attitude! Just keep at it. Who knows, we may even meet if Warwick host Leicester (or vice versa) :ninja:

And you think that losing streak is bad? :lol:

Okay, most of those were due to tournament withdrawals, but still, it's always funny to see that on the stats page
    Well not sure if I will join just yet, depends when they meet really. I do wonder if Leicester will play anyone as they only formed the Chess club in the last 6 months. Might have got registered already though.

Darn a better winning streak, mine is 9. I usually can't get close to it now as I make silly mistakes plus I prefer playing players who are better than me anyway to see how they play.

How many tournaments were you playing in? :O
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Well not sure if I will join just yet, depends when they meet really. I do wonder if Leicester will play anyone as they only formed the Chess club in the last 6 months. Might have got registered already though.

Darn a better winning streak, mine is 9. I usually can't get close to it now as I make silly mistakes plus I prefer playing players who are better than me anyway to see how they play.

How many tournaments were you playing in? :O
    I agree with you. Playing people better than you is how you get better yourself :yep: .. However, it is nice to play people of equal ability or lower, just to get that confidence factor

Short answer is too many. Plus, I greatly underestimated my ability to play chess. I forgot to factor in advancing to the next round :lol: .. Anyway, that was around my A-level exam time, so I withdrew from everything and concentrated on studying :cute: .. My previous losing streak was still 14 before that though :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you. Playing people better than you is how you get better yourself :yep: .. However, it is nice to play people of equal ability or lower, just to get that confidence factor

Short answer is too many. Plus, I greatly underestimated my ability to play chess. I forgot to factor in advancing to the next round :lol: .. Anyway, that was around my A-level exam time, so I withdrew from everything and concentrated on studying :cute: .. My previous losing streak was still 14 before that though :teehee:
    Well I'm playing someone 'worse' than me and am getting hammered. Won't be too long beforethe mate however I firmly believe you should never give up until in mate. I resign very very occassionally. Last time was when the opponent went overboard. He just kept advancing pawns to get Queens, nothing I could do about it and when he was advancing to get his 8th queen I there was simply no point. I would be moving the King in the same three pieces whilst he just got a board full of queens.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    x
    Chess meet in the SU HQ at 7:30 tonight, you coming?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    Chess meet in the SU HQ at 7:30 tonight, you coming?
    Might have been playing in the board to your right, sitting the other side of the table :awesome: .. I didn't actually know whether it was you

I'll play you next time if it was you though
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Might have been playing in the board to your right, sitting the other side of the table :awesome: .. I didn't actually know whether it was you

I'll play you next time if it was you though
    I don't know what you look like, so you'll have to find me

I can't believe I lost my first 2 games, the last time I played chess on a proper board was over 3 years ago, I've only been playing chess on the internet. The other guy played a good game though, he impressed me with how solid his openings were.

You coming along to the introductory tournament? I've forgotten when it is, but when I remember I'll be going :P
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I don't know what you look like, so you'll have to find me

I can't believe I lost my first 2 games, the last time I played chess on a proper board was over 3 years ago, I've only been playing chess on the internet. The other guy played a good game though, he impressed me with how solid his openings were.

You coming along to the introductory tournament? I've forgotten when it is, but when I remember I'll be going :P
    O'course I'm going!

12-4 on Saturday in the SU HQ :yep:

And don't worry, I'll say hi :wavey:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    O'course I'm going!

12-4 on Saturday in the SU HQ :yep:

And don't worry, I'll say hi :wavey:
    Awesome, I'll see you there!
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    So I take it the two of you go to the same uni then?

ReputationRep:
    Cool thanks

ReputationRep:
    I was having dinner with Garry Kasparov.
    There was a check tablecloth.
    It took him two hours to pass me the salt.

ReputationRep:
    xxx
    xxx
    I can't help but notice that you both go to Warwick! I apologise if this thread is not the place to ask such questions, but I was wondering... I have played chess on Chess.com for about 3 days, in which time I have lost about 20 games and won about 3. It is undeniably entertaining but I didn't know, how welcoming are the Warwick Chess Club of absolute beginners? I would like to play chess with real people, but I wouldn't like to go along and just annoy everyone with my ridiculous weakness D:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Maukeb)
    I can't help but notice that you both go to Warwick! I apologise if this thread is not the place to ask such questions, but I was wondering... I have played chess on Chess.com for about 3 days, in which time I have lost about 20 games and won about 3. It is undeniably entertaining but I didn't know, how welcoming are the Warwick Chess Club of absolute beginners? I would like to play chess with real people, but I wouldn't like to go along and just annoy everyone with my ridiculous weakness D:
    They're very welcoming :yep:

Thursday nights, 7.30 in the rooms above costcutter (I'll assume you know where you're going). What you need to do is explain to them that you're not very good, and they will put you in with people who are also not very good (trust me, there's a few there). If you need help learning the basics, then say you're an absolute beginner but you know how the pieces move, and someone called David will walk you through a few of the common aims of the game on a board, as well as common mistakes and a few tactics. Go along! It's good fun :yep: . I won't be there this week, but next Thursday, if you tell me your name I'll say hi :hi:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.