Turn on thread page Beta
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Maukeb)
    I can't help but notice that you both go to Warwick! I apologise if this thread is not the place to ask such questions, but I was wondering... I have played chess on Chess.com for about 3 days, in which time I have lost about 20 games and won about 3. It is undeniably entertaining but I didn't know, how welcoming are the Warwick Chess Club of absolute beginners? I would like to play chess with real people, but I wouldn't like to go along and just annoy everyone with my ridiculous weakness D:
    As Nirgilis said, they're pretty welcoming. All you need to do is turn up(Thursday nights at 7:30, in the SU HQ) and some of us will help you learn and play some friendly games. There are a couple of other beginners(I'm not entirely sure), but as long as you enjoy chess there's no reason why you shouldn't turn up
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Maukeb)
    x
    Did you turn up in the end? I think I may have seen you, but I don't know your name. There was a guy who asked if you can resign, and done that a couple of times. Was that you?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Sorry I couldn't make it. I was dragged along to Arrietty which was actually quite good :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Not joined the uni chess club as it clashes with hockey sadly.

However I have reached my new highest rating of 1124 in the last hour. One game I was lucky to win, just kept moving the queen to get the king in check and eventually it was set up so I could check mate. Not sure if you'll be able to see this

Got another cracking game at the moment, was in a terrible position and clawed it right back so it's about even now

ReputationRep:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    Did you turn up in the end? I think I may have seen you, but I don't know your name. There was a guy who asked if you can resign, and done that a couple of times. Was that you?
    You going this term? . Physical chemistry has stopped on Thursday nights, so I'll actually have the will to live when going along . Van't play league games again this term though, clashes with another society

ReputationRep:
    My tactics rating on gameknot has been plummeting lately. Sad times.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    My tactics rating on gameknot has been plummeting lately. Sad times.
    Indeed :sadnod: . My online ELO has taken an 80 point dive too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirgilis)
    Indeed :sadnod: . My online ELO has taken an 80 point dive too
    Well my actual game one has dipped since January but only by 52.

There is also a second rating where you go and do a tactics board for and try to gain the maximum advantage in the shortest possible number of moves. Be it check-mate or just a better position on the board. That one has gone down 81 points in 17 games. Mainly because I miss some obvious ones and then you get some really really idiotic puzzles.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    You going this term? . Physical chemistry has stopped on Thursday nights, so I'll actually have the will to live when going along . Van't play league games again this term though, clashes with another society
    I'll try and come along on Thursday nights, I'll probably forget though so I'll need some reminding closer to the time lol. I still haven't done the essay, although I'm a lot closer to 1500 words (1000 haha)

ReputationRep:
    Picked up the game around the end of November when I signed up for chess.com, quite active on it. I'm not very good though, just learning, but if anyone wants a game or correspondence/live then just holler

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raichu)
    Picked up the game around the end of November when I signed up for chess.com, quite active on it. I'm not very good though, just learning, but if anyone wants a game or correspondence/live then just holler
    I'm also on chess.com - my username is 11thHeaven. My online rating tends to oscillate around 1800. Anyone add me if you want a game!

How well do people's online ratings reflect their OTB strength? For instance, I find that my online rating is usually about 100-150 points below my real life rating. What do other people think?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Julii92)
    I'm also on chess.com - my username is 11thHeaven. My online rating tends to oscillate around 1800. Anyone add me if you want a game!

How well do people's online ratings reflect their OTB strength? For instance, I find that my online rating is usually about 100-150 points below my real life rating. What do other people think?
    Haha! I would say the opposite! My online rating's about 100-150 points above my OTB rating . But then again, I'm an impatient and fast mover OTB which DEFINITELY has something to do with it :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Haha! I would say the opposite! My online rating's about 100-150 points above my OTB rating . But then again, I'm an impatient and fast mover OTB which DEFINITELY has something to do with it :yep:
    How interesting. Come to think of it, I have a friend who's around 1750-1800 OTB (he is steadily improving year on year though) but his chess.com rating is usually well above 1900. I guess it depends!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hello chess society!

I'm Gregorius and a former chess player. I was playing chess long time ago. In spite of the fact that I was talented, my results against my rival are awful. I played 21 duels against him. three of ones were won, seven were drawn, but eleven duels were lost :rolleyes:. He was too good, because he was in a chess club in contrast to me. Nevertheless I'm thinking to playing chess again. That's why I will come to this topic time and time again to learn interesting moves.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Just thought I'd leave this here :ninja:

http://www.chess.com/news/hess-and-s...-to-clash-1270

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that Kasparov is back?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by gunit123)
    Is it true that Kasparov is back?
    Apparently it was just for an exhibition match

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

It would be good if he returned, he's one of my favourite players :yep:

ReputationRep:
    As black, I'm finding it a bit difficult to play against the Scotch and the four knights scotch variation.

I would appreciate any counters on those.

Usually I go from Petrov's declined to 4 knights.

So scotch is mostly dodged, but 4 knights scotch variation is my weakness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Any a member of chess sites? I'm personally on gameknot, if you fancy a game and are in the range for playing them just ask.
    Gameknot and chess.com are both really good.
    Starting to get back into chess now, a fun game to play, and gives your mind a bit of a decent workout. I've played a game or two online before doing revision in the past too...if it helps will be determined on results day!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.