Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

TSR chess society watch

Announcements
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    He resigned then I heard there is a way to help you analyse games on chess.com but I can't find it, is it for premium members only?
    Try this (I'm a premium member anyway, so I don't know whether it will work):

Live Chess -> Events (on the right hand side) -> New Analysis Board

Here is a game I had today, looking back through it I find this one to be the most interesting game since I played kidms001
    1.e4 e5
    2.Bc4 Nf6
    3.d3 Nc6
    4.c3 d6
    5.b4 Be6
    6.Bb5 a6
    7.Ba4 b5
    8.Bc2 d5
    9.Qf3 d4
    10.Bd1 dxc3
    11.Nxc3 Nxb4
    12.Kf1 Nxd3
    13.Be3 Nb2
    14.Nge2 b4
    15.Ba4+ Nxa4
    16.Nxa4 Bd7 -- MATE CHANCE.
    17.Nb2 Ng4
    18.Bc1 Bc5
    19.Nd3 Bb6
    20.h3 Qh4
    21.Nxb4 Nxf2
    22.g3 Qxe4
    23.Qxe4

He resigned then I heard there is a way to help you analyse games on chess.com but I can't find it, is it for premium members only?
    Please tell me you aren't white... :zomg: .. And I won't put up any images as it takes too long, and there's a lot to talk about! EDIT: (Okay, I lied about this part)

First of all 2.Bc4 is unusual. It's not unheard of, but it's unusual (Actual called Bishop's Opening: Berlin Defense) .. I've never played this in my life, so I will be playing off instinct here

4.c3 is odd. Only 6 master games on record have played this variation, and 4 of those games have been black wins. I would have played Nf3 to try and take it into the more familiar 4 knights variation. But hey! .. And black's d6 move would have taken me there.

5.b4, again, I don't like. Not enough major pieces developed for this much of a pawn storm yet. If white wants to keep that side free of pieces, play Nd2 and Nf6 to at least develop the knights. Black's Be6 response is premature as well IMO. If white takes, then black's pawn structure is damaged, and castling king side looks a little unhealthy.

From 6.Bb5 to 8.Bc2 was played how I would have expected. Black gains a little room by piece chasing

9.Qf3 :facepalm: .. d4 :rolleyes: .. 10.Bd1 :shock: .. And white ends up a pawn down!

Play Nd2 (like I've been saying from the start, and white may end up in a more positionally sound game like so:

Spoiler:
    Show

Now white's in a tricky position. Playing 12.Kf1 was strange. It takes away the ability to castle, and leads the king exposed in the middle of the board. There are plenty of pieces available to protect that pawn!

13... Nb2 was a weird one by black. That piece isn't in danger. Could black use that tempo to get attackers up the field? Perhaps target the knight with Bb4, then follow it up with Bc4 to trap the king? I don't really know.

14.Nge2 .. Took it's time, but it's better. He should have kept his ability to castle however. Black's b4 is a little unstable (as he finds out with check). As above, perhaps developing the bishop to that space would have been a better move?

16... Bd7, missed a gem of an opportunity. White playing how he is, if black plays Bxa2, white's BOUND to take a free bishop! Then Qd1# :smug: (This is the only reason I analyse games, to see if one of these has been missed ) .. That bishop is safe there if he decides not to take, as he can do nothing constructive that will prevent black's bishop from moving away again.

Spoiler:
    Show

The rest of the game is too open to bother analysing. Though 20... Qh4 is clever, especially with the bishop reinforcement targeting f2.

Then the game ends. White's position is horrible but still malleable. I would expect black to win quite easily though, considering how poor white's play was. :rolleyes:

I hope that was constructive!

Does anybody have any other analysis requests? I don't pretend I'm any good at them, but I can spread a small light over it
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Kidms001)
    Try this (I'm a premium member anyway, so I don't know whether it will work):

Live Chess -> Events (on the right hand side) -> New Analysis Board

Please tell me you aren't white... :zomg: .. And I won't put up any images as it takes too long, and there's a lot to talk about! EDIT: (Okay, I lied about this part)

First of all 2.Bc4 is unusual. It's not unheard of, but it's unusual (Actual called Bishop's Opening: Berlin Defense) .. I've never played this in my life, so I will be playing off instinct here

4.c3 is odd. Only 6 master games on record have played this variation, and 4 of those games have been black wins. I would have played Nf3 to try and take it into the more familiar 4 knights variation. But hey! .. And black's d6 move would have taken me there.

5.b4, again, I don't like. Not enough major pieces developed for this much of a pawn storm yet. If white wants to keep that side free of pieces, play Nd2 and Nf6 to at least develop the knights. Black's Be6 response is premature as well IMO. If white takes, then black's pawn structure is damaged, and castling king side looks a little unhealthy.

From 6.Bb5 to 8.Bc2 was played how I would have expected. Black gains a little room by piece chasing

9.Qf3 :facepalm: .. d4 :rolleyes: .. 10.Bd1 :shock: .. And white ends up a pawn down!

Play Nd2 (like I've been saying from the start, and white may end up in a more positionally sound game like so:

Spoiler:
    Show

Now white's in a tricky position. Playing 12.Kf1 was strange. It takes away the ability to castle, and leads the king exposed in the middle of the board. There are plenty of pieces available to protect that pawn!

13... Nb2 was a weird one by black. That piece isn't in danger. Could black use that tempo to get attackers up the field? Perhaps target the knight with Bb4, then follow it up with Bc4 to trap the king? I don't really know.

14.Nge2 .. Took it's time, but it's better. He should have kept his ability to castle however. Black's b4 is a little unstable (as he finds out with check). As above, perhaps developing the bishop to that space would have been a better move?

16... Bd7, missed a gem of an opportunity. White playing how he is, if black plays Bxa2, white's BOUND to take a free bishop! Then Qd1# :smug: (This is the only reason I analyse games, to see if one of these has been missed ) .. That bishop is safe there if he decides not to take, as he can do nothing constructive that will prevent black's bishop from moving away again.

Spoiler:
    Show

The rest of the game is too open to bother analysing. Though 20... Qh4 is clever, especially with the bishop reinforcement targeting f2.

Then the game ends. White's position is horrible but still malleable. I would expect black to win quite easily though, considering how poor white's play was. :rolleyes:

I hope that was constructive!

Does anybody have any other analysis requests? I don't pretend I'm any good at them, but I can spread a small light over it
    Thanks a lot for that, I was black, just to cover that up. I never start a game with Bc4
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Right... Lets get some (relatively easy) drills going.

Find the Mate in 2!

Please post your answer in spoilers to give other members a chance to work it out .. (Plus rep (if I can give it) to the first correct answer (for members of the chess soc only)) :love: (Join here)

EDIT: Tips for the future. This drill highlights the importance of developing major pieces for defense. If you are a regular on chess.com, you will know that the GM/IM/FM's are always saying that pawn development is a bad idea if you can't handle defending them. (The exception to the rule is the Sicilian Defense: Bowlder Attack at amateur level) :yep:

ReputationRep:

Find the Mate in 2!

Please post your answer in spoilers to give other members a chance to work it out .. (Plus rep (if I can give it) to the first correct answer (for members of the chess soc only)) :love: (Join here)

EDIT: Tips for the future. This drill highlights the importance of developing major pieces for defense. If you are a regular on chess.com, you will know that the GM/IM/FM's are always saying that pawn development is a bad idea if you can't handle defending them. (The exception to the rule is the Sicilian Defense: Bowlder Attack at amateur level) :yep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Qxh5+ ,RXh5

Bg6 #

easy peasy ..

I would have posted more puzzles to keep the society alive , its just Im literally dumped down in so much revision :sad: .
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Qxh5+ ,RXh5

Bg6 #

easy peasy ..

I would have posted more puzzles to keep the society alive , its just Im literally dumped down in so much revision :sad: .
    Obviously :yep:

I would rep you, but apparently I need to rep some more people before you.. So consider this an IOU.

And just worry about passing your exams for now .. I'll but up another one tomorrow, and then I'll try dig out one of my old games where I missed a forced mate against someone 200 points higher than me

ReputationRep:
    Obviously :yep:

I would rep you, but apparently I need to rep some more people before you.. So consider this an IOU.

And just worry about passing your exams for now .. I'll but up another one tomorrow, and then I'll try dig out one of my old games where I missed a forced mate against someone 200 points higher than me

dont worry about the rep .. and cheers for the encouraging words
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

Find the Mate in 2!

I haven't seen rbn's post, honest!
    Spoiler:
    Show

1.Qxh5 - Rxh5
    2.Bb6

Is that right? I hope so I think posting daily puzzles on here will be good
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I haven't seen rbn's post, honest!
    Spoiler:
    Show

1.Qxh5 - Rxh5
    2.Bb6

Is that right? I hope so I think posting daily puzzles on here will be good
    Move 1 is right, and I'm sure you know which square to make move2... But it's not what you've written down .. In fact, your move 2 is illegal :rofl:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Slightly more tricky this one:

Mate in 3!

As before, post your answers in spoilers to give other members a shot. Plus rep to the first member to get it right!

ReputationRep:

Mate in 3!

As before, post your answers in spoilers to give other members a shot. Plus rep to the first member to get it right!
    I think you should mention if it's white/black's turn to move (Im sure its white but still)

ReputationRep:

Mate in 3!

Spoiler:
    Show
    1. Rf4+ ...Kh5 2. Rh4+ gxh4 3. g4#

So, you guys are on chess.com?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

Mate in 3!

Spoiler:
    Show
    1.Rook to f4+ - King to h5
    2. Rook to H4

I gave up trying to use chess notation and made up my own I'd rather try and make sense than to make my moves illegal
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Sad Clown)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Feel free to add my username on chess.com, Eloades11(same as TSR username)

Move 1 is right, and I'm sure you know which square to make move2... But it's not what you've written down .. In fact, your move 2 is illegal :rofl:
    I'll get the hang of chess notation someday

ReputationRep:

Mate in 3!

Easy.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1.Rook to f4+ - King to h5
    2. Rook to H4

I gave up trying to use chess notation and made up my own I'd rather try and make sense than to make my moves illegal
    Thats not mate.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by baby sexy)
    Thats not mate.
    You're right hehe my bad. Lets try this one
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1.Rook-f4...King-h5
    2.Rook-h4...gxh4
    3.Pawn-g4#

I'm hoping thats the right one, I probably got it wrong again though
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Sad Clown)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Yes we are.. Add Kidms001 (me) and I'll give ya a game some time

And since you were first right, you can claim the rep. However, you need to actually join the society to claim (as per conditions in my original post of this puzzle) .. (Well... it's actually so we can get more members )

(Original post by baby sexy)
    Easy.
    Can I have your solution then?

And same to you, you can have the rep if you join

You're right hehe my bad. Lets try this one
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1.Rook-f4...King-h5
    2.Rook-h4...gxh4
    3.Pawn-g4#

I'm hoping thats the right one, I probably got it wrong again though
    Looks right! Congratulations :woo: .. You now get an IOU with your name on it (only cos I've repped you recently) :teehee:

Well, if all of you are finding this too easy, I'll dig up one of my past games tomorrow, to see if you can spot a 5 move forced mate that I missed

(Original post by rbnphlp)
    I think you should mention if it's white/black's turn to move (Im sure its white but still)
    :rolleyes: of course.. Silly of me
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Looks right! Congratulations :woo: .. You now get an IOU with your name on it (only cos I've repped you recently) :teehee:

Well, if all of you are finding this too easy, I'll dig up one of my past games tomorrow, to see if you can spot a 5 move forced mate that I missed
    Wooo! Can I ask what's an IOU first?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Wooo! Can I ask what's an IOU first?
    :lolwut: .. Shorthand for "I Owe You"?

...An informal acknowledgment of debt with a promise to pay it back...
    In this case, it's an acknowledgment that I Owe You rep :facepalm:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    :lolwut: .. Shorthand for "I Owe You"?

In this case, it's an acknowledgment that I Owe You rep :facepalm:
    Well at least I know now

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 21, 2013
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.