Turn on thread page Beta
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    Lol the first is an easy mate. How the hell did I not see that? You said find the best move, instead of mate so assumed you can't mate. So didn't see the obvious.l I'm not that bad, honest.
    Oh... Most people I showed around at school didn't get it either. I threw it in there to see if the title of the puzzle would be misleading

I'm very bad if the enemy opens with d4. Don't really know any good opening against it as black and will never play it as white. Against e4 as black I would normally play sicilian defense. My opening game is very lacking. Was told not to worry about opening. However, since playing starcraft 2 a lot realised that would really need to know openings.

What opening would you suggest?
    I would suggest the Sicilian against 1.e4. It's the most versatile IMO. Do you have a specific variation you prefer to play? The Najdorf and the dragon are the two most favourited Sicilian openings around the world, and I must say I'm a fan of the dragon :holmes: .. Saying that, I have some sneaky tricks up my sleeve, so I'm looking forward to playing you

Against d4, I would suggest d5. If they try and play the Queen's Gambit, I'm impartial to the Slav Defense (google it). You get some wonderful positional play from the Slav (as my game with Eloade showed ) as well as keeping it open. You do have to be wary of the ever present threat to the d5 pawn, so you can't slack on observations.

I have tried the King's Indian before, but I just didn't like it :sadnod: .. My advice would be to play a few games and try out the different variations you may feel comfortable with to find what works for you

Spoiler:
    Show
    1. Queen to a4 so you get a free bishop

2. kn to f3, queen has to move. Either place you get a free bishop

A bit too easy. I'm not that bad. Chess puzzles are normally really easy because the calculations in chess aren't that bad. Just have to do all the possibilities and such.

P.S. I made chess.com account. simplicity123 add me. Although, I can't play that much now because of exams. But over the summer holiday will play a lot. Saying that you guys probably open d4 against me even through probably the crappiest person in this society.
    Don't worry, I just need a way to gauge your strength .. If you end up better than me however, then no puzzle I put on the internet can stop you, since these puzzles are limited by my own rating :yep: .. I have held back from posting the more "entertaining" ones for now :rofl:

And I will add you as soon as your name appears on the chess.com database (same name in here for me) so we can play sometime. And I understand about your exam situation, as I'm in the same boat!

(Original post by mathsisfunny)
    It's mathisfunny (without the s after math)
    Added

ReputationRep:
    I thought this said "TSR cheese scoiety" when I click it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsr-member)
    should have gone to specsavers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidms001)
    Oh... Most people I showed around at school didn't get it either. I threw it in there to see if the title of the puzzle would be misleading
    That's really bad. Still was thinking about it a lot. That isn't really like a normal game as people aren't that bad, although someone posted a checkmate that was stupid and claimed it was a real game.

I would suggest the Sicilian against 1.e4. It's the most versatile IMO. Do you have a specific variation you prefer to play? The Najdorf and the dragon are the two most favourited Sicilian openings around the world, and I must say I'm a fan of the dragon :holmes: .. Saying that, I have some sneaky tricks up my sleeve, so I'm looking forward to playing you
    I mostly do dragon as I feel knights are strong like that. But, yeah I should read up on it more. I feel I play better with black through, which is weird but I know more black openings also the advantage of knowing what your opponent open with and how he's trying to force the game.

Against d4, I would suggest d5. If they try and play the Queen's Gambit, I'm impartial to the Slav Defense (google it). You get some wonderful positional play from the Slav (as my game with Eloade showed ) as well as keeping it open. You do have to be wary of the ever present threat to the d5 pawn, so you can't slack on observations.
    I mostly do the Grunfeld defense as I read a book on it and I got most of the ideas about the openings. Also, I figure that most people haven't played against it so I get some advantage.

Don't worry, I just need a way to gauge your strength .. If you end up better than me however, then no puzzle I put on the internet can stop you, since these puzzles are limited by my own rating :yep: .. I have held back from posting the more "entertaining" ones for now :rofl:

And I will add you as soon as your name appears on the chess.com database (same name in here for me) so we can play sometime. And I understand about your exam situation, as I'm in the same boat!
    Your puzzles are limited to rating? How is that? It's good that you post puzzles here everyday. I doubt I will end up better than you.

I will try and play you after the exam. Although, I remember flyordie and playing someone that had 100 points more than me. It was painful to get beat very hard.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I've just joined.

I've played chess for about 12 years now, highest ECF was 151 a couple of years ago.

I also play on gameknot under the same username if anyone wants a challenge
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by tsr-member)
    I'm sure you can join, but you'll have to make us a chess board out of cheese

ReputationRep:
    I find chess problems and endgame puzzles quite useful... although the positions arise often rarely on the board, it is important that when they do come up you know what to do!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I believe we are missing a few daily puzzles

Spoiler:
    Show
    x
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    I believe we are missing a few daily puzzles
    Thank you for bringing that to my attention .. I've spent the last few days daydreaming about being an author...

Anyways.... Two for you all today!

Numero Uno! .. Easy Peasy this one. I wouldn't expect you to struggle

I'm after 3 moves!

Spoiler:
    Show

Numero Deux... Since people generally find puzzles harder when I don't tell them what I'm after, try this one and see what you come up with...

I do want a minimum of 2 moves however

Spoiler:
    Show

Good luck!

(As always, please post your answers in spoilers :rolleyes:)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    First one
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Queen to e2 forces king to back row, then rook to a1#

Second one I'm stuck
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    First one
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Queen to e2 forces king to back row, then rook to a1#

Second one I'm stuck
    Oh really...?

Spoiler:
    Show
    In essence, yes you have the puzzle well and truly correct. However, I like to be pedantic.. is Ra1 really mate?

:holmes:

And I'll give other people a go before I give hints on number 2. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Oh really...?

Spoiler:
    Show
    In essence, yes you have the puzzle well and truly correct. However, I like to be pedantic.. is Ra1 really mate?

:holmes:

And I'll give other people a go before I give hints on number 2. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised...
    Alright you got me, I can't do these puzzles very well

There's a darn knight in the way
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Alright you got me, I can't do these puzzles very well

There's a darn knight in the way
    Actually... I think it's me .. I asked for two moves when it should have been three :facepalm:

However, you knew what you were looking for and found it, and consequently would have won :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Number two, since no one has answered yet.....

Spoiler:
    Show
    1. RxN axb6
    2. Bxc4

Wins a piece and leaves a simple endgame
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    As no one has posted here in almost a week, I'd like to hazard a guess and suggest we are all revising for exams and the chess has been put on hold?

ReputationRep:
    As no one has posted here in almost a week, I'd like to hazard a guess and suggest we are all revising for exams and the chess has been put on hold?
    Yh , I am going to flood this thread with puzzles after 27th May.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

Just did my first chemistry unit 5 mock and ended up with a borderline C. Considering both my university courses require an A in Chemistry to get in, your deduction would be correct :rofl:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    Yh , I am going to flood this thread with puzzles after 27th May.
    Good to hear! However I'll have to lay off chess, my first exam is 13th of june and last one is 24th. So in the space of 11 days I have 7 exams

Just did my first chemistry unit 5 mock and ended up with a borderline C. Considering both my university courses require an A in Chemistry to get in, your deduction would be correct :rofl:
    Ouch, you'll need to work on that Seen as though you're a biochemist I'll assume Chemistry is your subject and you'll get an A easy. I'll have to lay low on the chess for a bit in order to meet you at Warwick in October!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Good to hear! However I'll have to lay off chess, my first exam is 13th of june and last one is 24th. So in the space of 11 days I have 7 exams
    Haha! Same! Biology unit 5 on the 13th, then Chemistry unit 5 on the 24th! (then driving test on the 28th for me :unimpressed:) .. How about you?

Then we'll be freeeeeeeee! :woo:

Ouch, you'll need to work on that Seen as though you're a biochemist I'll assume Chemistry is your subject and you'll get an A easy. I'll have to lay low on the chess for a bit in order to meet you at Warwick in October!
    Oi... No assumptions now :lolwut: .. Chemistry is the best if the exam is completely organic :yep: .. If any of that rubbish-y redox/transition metals/complex ion/titration rubbish comes up, well... Who knows?

However, whack out the nitration of benzene, azo dyes and coupling reactions, synthetic pathways and and organic tests, and :king1:

Are you doing general studies or critical thinking? :rolleyes:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Haha! Same! Biology unit 5 on the 13th, then Chemistry unit 5 on the 24th! (then driving test on the 28th for me :unimpressed:) .. How about you?

Then we'll be freeeeeeeee! :woo:

Oi... No assumptions now :lolwut: .. Chemistry is the best if the exam is completely organic :yep: .. If any of that rubbish-y redox/transition metals/complex ion/titration rubbish comes up, well... Who knows?

However, whack out the nitration of benzene, azo dyes and coupling reactions, synthetic pathways and and organic tests, and :king1:

Are you doing general studies or critical thinking? :rolleyes:
    I'll pm you, rbnphlp will not be too happy if he catches us off topic on his chess thread again

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.