Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just started playing chess, can anyone recommend good beginner's resources? And what's the best and quickest way to improve my game drastically?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by RamlakU)
    I just started playing chess, can anyone recommend good beginner's resources? And what's the best and quickest way to improve my game drastically?
    Play games, and a lot of them! The best way to get better is with experience I recommend chess.com, there are also puzzles and tactics trainers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    Play games, and a lot of them! The best way to get better is with experience I recommend chess.com, there are also puzzles and tactics trainers.
    That's what I'm trying to do

Is learning theory etc. less important for now?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

I would say try out a few different ones and then stick to the one which you think suits you best/puts you in the best position.

ReputationRep:

I would say it's much less important when you just start out.

If you just blindly follow moves you're not going to know what to do when someone breaks the sequence, it's much more important to understand the general principles of the opening first (development, king safety, controlling the centre etc...). Once you do that you'll be on a much firmer footing when someone plays an unexpected move.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Gaaah!!

Only four more weeks... :cry2:

X

Sorry I haven't got back to your PM in a while, obviously my revision is taking priority over everything else :emo: (And Britain's Got Talent! :dance:)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Kidms001)
    Gaaah!!

Only four more weeks... :cry2:

Sorry I haven't got back to your PM in a while, obviously my revision is taking priority over everything else :emo: (And Britain's Got Talent! :dance:)
    Haha I don't watch Britain's Got Talent, but I'm a huge fan of tennis and the French Open has been preventing me from revising as much as I would like to:rolleyes:

First exam is on the 13th, last exam on the 26th, I can honestly say I'm pretty scared, but I will recover and I'll have to get back to form for chess!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    my ECF will be around 180 in september although I reckon if I knew my openings well enough :yawn: I'd be about 200 strength. Not got my FIDE yet, although I've just started playing 4NCL, and I'm expecting to be around 2150. That's assuming I'm using the Fide rating calculator right anyway.

In my opinion, you shouldn't learn any opening theory until you get to about 150 grade ecf. It's important to know what your basic aims are if you're a complete beginner, but opening theory relies on you understanding complex long term motifs and strategies. For example, you would play the najdorf (as black obviously) if you like sharp, tactical play and want the better pawn structure for the endgame. So yeah, stay off the opening theory

Some websites which anyone can take advantage of:

www.Chesstempo.com <--- awesome site for tactics, make an account (free) and have a go. You can't play against anyone, but there are thousands of tactics (middlegame and endgame) on there.

www.chess.com <----- if you like correspondance. Not my favourite for blitz.

www.chesscube.com <----- This site is fantastic for tournaments and , especially warzone for anyone who knows the site. Also good for blitz if you can work out the seek system

www.chesspublishing.com <----- if you're going to ignore my advice and go for opening theory then subscribe here because I've heard it's awesome and much better than buying books.

As has been previously said, playing is really the way forward in chess, theory is just dull and doesn't become useful (imo) until you're at least 150 grade.

And before you ask, it's not silentstalker
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Silentalker)
    . . .
    Woww! - I do believe you are now the strongest player on this thread

Nearly all of us play on chess.com , with ratings between 1300 - 1700 (way below your 2150). There are only two of us who play corespondance (myself included), so if you fancy a game, feel free to ask. Everybody else only appear to play live games with timings between 5 minutes and 60 minutes per game. There really is a player for every scenario

Anyway, welcome. Please don't be surprised if we decide to take advantage of your supreme skills (though it won't be till after exam times :rolleyes:)

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone doing ? Exams finished?

..!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    No.. :emo: .. Friday exams finish and I have a driving test on Tuesday. Then nothing but bliss

Do you miss us? .. Cos I miss this thread. This summer... :moon:

And I can't wait for uni! I fancy joining the Warwick chess society sooo badly..

ReputationRep:
    No.. :emo: .. Friday exams finish and I have a driving test on Tuesday. Then nothing but bliss

Do you miss us? .. Cos I miss this thread. This summer... :moon:

And I can't wait for uni! I fancy joining the Warwick chess society sooo badly..
    Yh sure , I missed the thread .. I will start posting puzzles from next week.Warwick chess society? Are they any good , Im pretty sure UCl is better
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Almost! I'm definitely getting back into chess after my exams
    No.. :emo: .. Friday exams finish

:ditto:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Done at last :drool:

Yh sure , I missed the thread .. I will start posting puzzles from next week.Warwick chess society? Are they any good , Im pretty sure UCl is better
    I have no idea how good Warwick is :dontknow: .. But I'm sure they would give UCL a fair fight

Are you done too? I would like to challenge you to a rematch! :judge:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Requoting for rematch :woo:

. . .

And for those of you who are familiar with computer analysis, I haven't seen a score as high as 106 ever without there being a forced mate

And for anyone who happens to read this, could I have some advice on how to continue please?

Spoiler:
    Show

This was the last in what was a long day in the retarded opening department :facepalm: (They managed to increase my rating by 50 points though )
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Oh sorry I completely forgot about your last post :P

I'm completely out of practice because of exams, I'm having chess games every now and then, the amount of blunders I make is at an all time high for each game

I'm up for a game this evening or tomorrow evening(not during 9-10:30 because of the apprentice xD) maybe?

ReputationRep:

I'm completely out of practice because of exams, I'm having chess games every now and then, the amount of blunders I make is at an all time high for each game

I'm up for a game this evening or tomorrow evening(not during 9-10:30 because of the apprentice xD) maybe?

And for those of you who are familiar with computer analysis, I haven't seen a score as high as 106 ever without there being a forced mate

And for anyone who happens to read this, could I have some advice on how to continue please?

Spoiler:
    Show

This was the last in what was a long day in the retarded opening department :facepalm: (They managed to increase my rating by 50 points though )
    Do you guys play online blitz ? , I jave no idea how to invite someone to play blitz on chess.com
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

Sure! It'll have to be after the apprentice then, as my time is pretty unpredictable up to about 9-15pm, so it'd be better if I didn't make any promises

Do you guys play online blitz ? , I jave no idea how to invite someone to play blitz on chess.com
    Emm... If you enter the live chess area, there is a tab labelled "friends" alongside game, challenges, main hall etc. If we are on your friends list and are online the same time as you, we will be in that friends tab with our current game details (if we are in one). Then there will be an option to invite

For any old opponent, just create a new game with your desired boundaries, and someone will accept

What time frame do you play in? I'm happy to play whatever (so long as it's not bullet chess) but my strength decreases with the less time available (currently my highest rating is when the time control is at 16 minutes per player).

ReputationRep:
    Do any of you guys play real-life tournaments?

ReputationRep:
    S

Emm... If you enter the live chess area, there is a tab labelled "friends" alongside game, challenges, main hall etc. If we are on your friends list and are online the same time as you, we will be in that friends tab with our current game details (if we are in one). Then there will be an option to invite .
    alright , will try next time when you'r online ..What's the usual time you play?
    For any old opponent, just create a new game with your desired boundaries, and someone will accept

I knew that obviously

(Original post by TCW)
    Do any of you guys play real-life tournaments?
    nope not yet , play at some societies .. might start next year if I can improve a bit :sigh:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 21, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.