Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Adele - a tad bit overrated? watch

ReputationRep:
    I love Adele and I love her music, and although I think she is an amazing singer I don't think she is the best.
    I really liked the live version of 'Someone like you' but the album version was no where near as good IMO. I thought the part where she sings 'don't forget me I beg' on the album sounds really bad, almost like squarking it makes me cringe. Yet the live version for the brit awards gave me shivers it was that good.
    I also like the way she dosn't have to have stuid revealing costumes and dancers to make a show, you will find most of the current singers who prance around half naked have an average voice and use this to make up for it.

ReputationRep:
    I do love her, although I don't think '21' is a consistent album- her usual jazzy-blues style and those One-Republic sounding songs (Set Fire To The Rain, Turning Tables) clash a little to me. However, I think the music press just got generally overexcited that here was a legitimate British female singer who we could compare to the likes of Dusty Springfield and Alison Moyet. She may not be as good as them yet, but I can see her lasting a very long time in the music industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSmithsIndeed)
    I'm not a huge fan if I'm honest. She obviously has a good voice, I'm not denying that, but for me personally, I like all-round performers. Freddie Mercury she ain't.
    Yeah, I agree with this. Female comparisons being perhaps Kate Bush or Annie Lennox. I think to be a top class performer you have to be a natural work of art as well as have an effective singing voice.

And no, Lady Gaga does not count

Adele is ok though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    I dont think she's overrated. She's incredibly talented. But I'm getting a bit sick of hearing her on the radio all the time.
    The same song played constantly in every shop, all the time, all day, everyday, round the clock :lolwut: It sickens me.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't listened to all of her songs on her second album, but stuff like 'Someone like You' and 'Rolling in the Deep' is incredible to listen to. Watching her live (esp. on the BRITs) was just WOW

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toaster Leavings)
    Kate Bush
    I'm actually in love with that lady!

ReputationRep:
    I love Adele.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSmithsIndeed)
    I'm actually in love with that lady!
    Oh God, so was my ex.... Although, it's very easy to see why, I'm rather obsessed myself. Instead of sexual fantasy I imagine listening to early electronic music with her in her castle in Reading (or whether she lives) and bonding on a deep feminine level. :/

ReputationRep:
    I quite liked 19, and even performed her cover of Make You Feel My Love once at a talent show. I can't comment on 21 because I haven't heard any of it apart from the singles.

But I think she's in danger of overexposure right now; I'm getting fed up of hearing her most recent songs everywhere and seeng the lyrics from them posted on Facebook etc. etc. No doubt she has a brilliant voice and is a good songwriter; but since her recent successes I've started to go off her a bit (ooh I sound so ~hipster~ saying that).

ReputationRep:
    I don't think shes overrated shes got an great voice. She is really overplayed though which makes some songs annoying to listen to as it's always playing , I've heard someone like you so many times now it was my favourite song by her but heard so many times now.

ReputationRep:
    She is overrated but at least she has talent, better than all the overrated "singers" who can't actually hold a tune to save their life

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a big fan of her music but this is just amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dd4483)
    What do you think? I mean I do like her, but there are plenty of other singers out there who are just as good, if not better. Her recent chart success seems a little OTT in my opinion.

Also, doesn't she remind you a bit of Alison Moyet? Despite Moyet being a much better singer.
    I agree (though I haven't heard of the other artists you mentioned). Tbh, I think people like to big her up because she doesn't wear skimpy clothing and is considered a good role model for young girls. In all honesty though, the only reason she doesn't wear skimpy clothing is because she's too large to.
    Artists like Rihanna get slated for being bad role models, and maybe she is, but she can actually sing live.

ReputationRep:
    Adele covering one of my all-time favourite songs

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't stop listening to Rolling in the Deep. I'm going to listen to some of her other songs now to see if they match up

ReputationRep:
    Woah wtf just heard her talk normally

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care for her but I don't dislike her. I can't stand hearing her songs over and over again whenever I listen to the radio (but I guess that's the radio station's fault). This article about Adele does make me laugh though.

ReputationRep:
    Shes overrated because the majority of her fans don't follow genuine soul artists, of course when you compare her with the likes of Rhianan, Kesha, Gaga she is a beacon of light, but if i'm comparing her against Christette Michelle, Melanie Fiona, Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, India Arie, and so on not so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueSheep32)
    I quite liked 19, and even performed her cover of Make You Feel My Love once at a talent show. I can't comment on 21 because I haven't heard any of it apart from the singles.

But I think she's in danger of overexposure right now; I'm getting fed up of hearing her most recent songs everywhere and seeng the lyrics from them posted on Facebook etc. etc. No doubt she has a brilliant voice and is a good songwriter; but since her recent successes I've started to go off her a bit (ooh I sound so ~hipster~ saying that).
    Couldn't agree with you any more.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think she's overrated.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.