Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Particle physics is really doing my head in right now, I'm having issues understanding this question - "where is the weak interaction involved in the decay of an omega-minus particle?"

Can someone explain this to me? This topic just doesn't seem to agree with my head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Accalia)
    Particle physics is really doing my head in right now, I'm having issues understanding this question - "where is the weak interaction involved in the decay of an omega-minus particle?"

Can someone explain this to me? This topic just doesn't seem to agree with my head.
    The basic rules you need to work with are these:

1) Particles will always decay if there exists a lighter form for them to decay to;
    2) Only the weak nuclear force does not obey conservation of quark flavour.

An omega minus has a quark content of three strange quarks. It is therefore the lightest baryon containing only second generation quarks, because the only lighter quarks are up and down, which are from the first generation. From this you know that the omega minus must decay via a weak process, as it will need to change one of it's strange quarks to an up or down quark - i.e. it will need to break quark flavour conservation. There's a bit more info here

I think therefore that the answer to your question would be something like 'the weak interaction is involved in the decay of the omega minus when one of the strange quarks it contains decays via a process that does not conserve strangeness'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prime Suspect)
    The basic rules you need to work with are these:

1) Particles will always decay if there exists a lighter form for them to decay to;
    2) Only the weak nuclear force does not obey conservation of quark flavour.

An omega minus has a quark content of three strange quarks. It is therefore the lightest baryon containing only second generation quarks, because the only lighter quarks are up and down, which are from the first generation. From this you know that the omega minus must decay via a weak process, as it will need to change one of it's strange quarks to an up or down quark - i.e. it will need to break quark flavour conservation. There's a bit more info here

I think therefore that the answer to your question would be something like 'the weak interaction is involved in the decay of the omega minus when one of the strange quarks it contains decays via a process that does not conserve strangeness'.
    Thank you I didn't realise it contained three strange quarks, seeing the steps for its decay really helped. Guess it teaches me not to attempt my homework without the data sheet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Accalia)
    Thank you I didn't realise it contained three strange quarks, seeing the steps for its decay really helped. Guess it teaches me not to attempt my homework without the data sheet.
    No worries, although for future reference I think it's pretty much impossible to do any particle physics question without knowledge of the particles the question is talking about! In short, make full use of the data sheet

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.