Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can my mum just buy insurance really cheaply, then put me under her name.. and I'll just drive the car and pay all the insurance???

EDIT - Say it's like £1000 for my mum. And she puts me on her insurance, will it be whatever it cost for me + the original £1000?

ReputationRep:
    The premium will rise when your name is added, and they will need to know if you are to be the main user whether your Mum is listed or not. Usually, the cars owner needs to be the primary policy holder.

ReputationRep:
    Its called fronting and is very illegal.
    If the insurance company suspect you are doing that, they can simply say your policy isn't valid, and you would be no better than if you didn't bother with any insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    If the insurance company suspect you are doing that, they can simply say your policy isn't valid, and you would be no better than if you didn't bother with any insurance.
    So it's only illegal if they suspect....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    So it's only illegal if they suspect....
    Well no, its illegal full stop.
    The same goes for any crime, if no-one knows then you can't get punished.

However, with things like this, it is always better to be safe than sorry. The insurance company do not need to prove you are fronting. Them just thinking you are is enough.

ReputationRep:
    Well no, its illegal full stop.
    The same goes for any crime, if no-one knows then you can't get punished.

However, with things like this, it is always better to be safe than sorry. The insurance company do not need to prove you are fronting. Them just thinking you are is enough.
    So why are all my friends doing it, they're being a named driver? Or something so their insurance is less, but they build no NCB because it's not in their name? I'm confused....

If you're not allowed to do it why does it have an option on the website to add someone to the policy :/

ReputationRep:
    So why are all my friends doing it, they're being a named driver? Or something so their insurance is less, but they build no NCB because it's not in their name? I'm confused....

If you're not allowed to do it why does it have an option on the website to add someone to the policy :/
    People doing it does not mean it is right or legal.

Doing it does mean your insurance is a lot less. But IMO it is not worth the risk. The NCB will depend on the insurer I think.

As for why does it have the option. Because you can have a car, and have someone elese drive it some of the time. The difference is that it becomes fronting if the person who is a named driver is actually the main driver of the car.

ReputationRep:
    People doing it does not mean it is right or legal.

Doing it does mean your insurance is a lot less. But IMO it is not worth the risk. The NCB will depend on the insurer I think.

As for why does it have the option. Because you can have a car, and have someone elese drive it some of the time. The difference is that it becomes fronting if the person who is a named driver is actually the main driver of the car.
    Now were getting somewhere....

So it's not illegal until >>> [ See bold ] ?

If so, how will they? How do they know I'm not going to only drive it once every blue moon?

ReputationRep:
    Now were getting somewhere....

So it's not illegal until >>> [ See bold ] ?

If so, how will they? How do they know I'm not going to only drive it once every blue moon?
    Yep.
    And certain things really. Like if you keep the car at uni away from home, if the car is a "boy racer" car (and its under your mothers name) etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yep.
    And certain things really. Like if you keep the car at uni away from home, if the car is a "boy racer" car (and its under your mothers name) etc.
    Nah I'm not stupid. The car will be at a coupe/saloon 2 - 2.5L engine 5dr

ReputationRep:
    The issue with insurance is quite simple. If you declare something to the insurance company on which they base the premium and then you drive the car in some way that they deem is outside the declaration that you originally made, they may (will) declare your insurance invalid. You are therefore driving without insurance which is illegal.

So, if you say you are not the main driver and actually you are, you have, to all intents and purposes, no insurance.

Suggesting that it is only illegal if you get caught is complete rubbish. If it is illegal, it's illegal - period. You really want to take the risk?

As far as I am concerned, anyone who drives without insurance, regardless of any mitigation, should have their licence taken away.

My advice - don't do it! Make sure you state everything clearly and stay within the law.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My thoughts exactly.
    Anyway, once your mum adds you as a named driver, the price of the insurance will go up anyway.

ReputationRep:
    My mums insurance is cheap, example :

£360 for 2.5L V6 Ford Cougar....

So why is this happening :

Mums policy 1.2L fiesta = £239
    With me added as named driver = 7K !!!
    My own policy = 5K

Facts - Mum has 20+ years driving experience clean record, 7 years NCB aged 50........I'm 17 held license for 10 months......

Yer at the same time, my mate who is also on his mums policy and is 17 gets the exact same car, with only having his license for 2 months for 1.6K !!!!!

Doesn't make sense

ReputationRep:
    2.5 V6 ford cougar is £360 on my mums insurance ( Just giving an example of how cheap her insurance is )

On my own policy I get a 1.6 A3 sport for £5678

So why is it when I add my name onto my mums policy

That a 1 ****ing . 2L ford fiesta is £7845

Shouldn't adding my name onto my mums policy who has 10 + year of NCB 20+ Years of driving experience make insurance cheap and not more expensive?

I lost my license today as I drove without insurance and got stopped by police therefore getting 6points on me license and it being revoked. i only passed 3months ago and now I no longer have a license. i drove without insurance on me 1.1 saxo as the insurance for that was about £320per month which i cannot afford.

£7845 is expensive on a little fiesta. How old are you to be getting those quotes? I also don't understand why its getting up in price after adding yourself onto your mums policy, I'd think it should fall not increase unless your mum has had a bad driving record history or not held a license for long

Don't make the same mistake That I did and lose your license my friend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeremykyle)
    I lost my license today as I drove without insurance and got stopped by police therefore getting 6points on me license and it being revoked. i only passed 3months ago and now I no longer have a license. i drove without insurance on me 1.1 saxo as the insurance for that was about £320per month which i cannot afford.

£7845 is expensive on a little fiesta. How old are you to be getting those quotes? I also don't understand why its getting up in price after adding yourself onto your mums policy, I'd think it should fall not increase unless your mum has had a bad driving record history or not held a license for long

Don't make the same mistake That I did and lose your license my friend
    I'm 17

Held license for 10 months ~

Mums perfect driving history....

My friend exact same car, held license 2 months, added onto his mums policy 1657 pounds... :/

I don't know what's going on :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17

Held license for 10 months ~

Mums perfect driving history....

My friend exact same car, held license 2 months, added onto his mums policy 1657 pounds... :/

I don't know what's going on :/

I don't either, It should be the same as your friends i guess, is he 17 to though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeremykyle)
    I don't either, It should be the same as your friends i guess, is he 17 to though?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    Try NFU/Admiral (Admiral quote much less via comparison sites than direct).

Most importantly, try a quote for your mum added onto your policy, rather than you added on to hers.

ReputationRep:
    Because you can't transfer NCB if she's keeping it on her car? I actually have no idea, but this is what happened with my boyfriends insurance?

ReputationRep:
    Admiral is the best mine is £600 for a 1.4 Peugeot 206 sweet

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 30, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.