Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Bristol isn't a cheap city is it? haha. Being from South London it's pretty horrid the accommodation prices, esp when your parents are in the highest bracket!

Definitely could rant about me having many siblings and being at a significant disadvantage but i won't, anyway....

So BRISTOL UWE ACCOMMODATION...

Please any info on the following accommodation, has anyone recommended what etc

Frenchay Campus? This one at £5,435, being a student village that is a shocker of a price. Not sure this is my choice but what's been said? Think i'd prefer to be centre Bristol for that price. Yes No?

I like centre Bristol so maybe any ideas or info on these few...

Market Gate, - £5,129
    Pretty expensive but looks nice and modern what's your say? Is it worth it? Especially since i'm going to have to work to pay for this one!

(ENSUITE BIG WIN)

Waverley House £4,919
    This is a shared bathroom very sceptical esp worried that people would want to share a bathroom with someone like me...

Favell House £4,850
    Shared bathroom, worries again!(crazyd haha)

What's your say? Is it worth saving the £7 a week to go and share bathrooms etc? Brizzie is bloody expensive, but definitely worth every penny!

thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    it depends on what subject youre doing too. i mean if your subject is in st matthias you dont really wanna live in town... yes its got buses there and back but you could be late for lectures and what not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spammoclocks)
    it depends on what subject youre doing too. i mean if your subject is in st matthias you dont really wanna live in town... yes its got buses there and back but you could be late for lectures and what not.
    Law at Frenchay, what's your say?

You at UWE? What accommodation are you at? Any good? I enjoy my music tend to like the more electronic scene! Any ideas?

Your opinions/advice is greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhh, I live close to south london, gna do Business with Economics at uwe went to an open day on saturday xD the city and the uni looks really nice but its annoying that you have to pay for bus travel and can't use your oyster lool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meow-wow)
    Law at Frenchay, what's your say?

You at UWE? What accommodation are you at? Any good? I enjoy my music tend to like the more electronic scene! Any ideas?

Your opinions/advice is greatly appreciated
    yeah I'm not in UWE just yet but went to the open day Saturday and they said its best to keep close to your campus. there are SU bars in each campus and they have bands performing, and all sorts of gamings and events. I'm gonna be doing Drama in St Matthias but I was looking at Glenside Campus and i want a heavy atmosphere so i dont know if its the right place or not.

ReputationRep:
    confirmed it as firm law today

haven't visited the uni but from what i've heard and spent time in Bristol itself, it looks really good Don't worry spammoclocks, its going to be a heavy atmosphere x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoSound)
    Ohhhh, I live close to south london, gna do Business with Economics at uwe went to an open day on saturday xD the city and the uni looks really nice but its annoying that you have to pay for bus travel and can't use your oyster lool
    I went to that open day. Im from North London and felt so out of place there.. glad to know more londoners coming up to Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    *Subscribes*
    On the topic of fitting in I'm from Essex Hertfordshire and it seemed like a really nice atmosphere, my accent stood out a bit, but could be worse xD

ReputationRep:
    Do not, I repeat do not go with Waverley House. Got a friend living there and the place is a dump.

Marketgate isn't bad. Big kitchen but rooms are slightly small because of the en-suite.

Favell. Not too sure. Been to see a friend there once and the place looks well maintained and tidy. Kitchen is really nice. Not sure about rooms.

ReputationRep:
    Ouch, I'm paying £4400, cheeky Unite ramping the prices up.

I live on the ground floor and the road really isn't that big of a deal.

Apply for Marketgate, you won't regret it. We're all gutted we have to move out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danmginn)
    confirmed it as firm law today

haven't visited the uni but from what i've heard and spent time in Bristol itself, it looks really good Don't worry spammoclocks, its going to be a heavy atmosphere x
    Yeah I'll be most probz taxiing it down to the city centre on all the brill nights out

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of Private rents in Fishponds / Horfield to try out. Both are pretty near Frenchay which is about 5 miles out of the centre and getting from the centre up there takes forever. Try looking at those places, which will save you money and there are alot more options....I myself live across the road from st. matts for £500 per month, for a ground floor flat, got loads of room and it's 2 mins from the campus. Frenchay is only 15 mins on the bus too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benji27)
    Ouch, I'm paying £4400, cheeky Unite ramping the prices up.

I live on the ground floor and the road really isn't that big of a deal.

Apply for Marketgate, you won't regret it. We're all gutted we have to move out.
    I'm going to apply there its only a £150 difference and I bet sharing toilets during freshers week is hell.

ReputationRep:
    im going to be studying fashion design at the bower ashton campus and struggling with where the hell to live... i've got a viewing for the new hotwells house accommodation and culver house (unite website). I've heard marketgate is very poorly run, unite ripping everyone off, broken lifts all year etc?! same with transom house and waverly house, heard that theyre dumps! does anyone have any experience or heard stuff of Favell house, Nelson/Drake house or Culver house accomodation? i think theyre the only ones i can afford anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natalietc)
    im going to be studying fashion design at the bower ashton campus and struggling with where the hell to live... i've got a viewing for the new hotwells house accommodation and culver house (unite website). I've heard marketgate is very poorly run, unite ripping everyone off, broken lifts all year etc?! same with transom house and waverly house, heard that theyre dumps! does anyone have any experience or heard stuff of Favell house, Nelson/Drake house or Culver house accomodation? i think theyre the only ones i can afford anyway...
    I heard Marketgate was quite good compared to favell and waverly It would prob be better to stick to UWE reccomended accomodation as they are more likely to sort out problems than just unite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weloveclover)
    I heard Marketgate was quite good compared to favell and waverly It would prob be better to stick to UWE reccomended accomodation as they are more likely to sort out problems than just unite.

i thought that too, but then reading stuff like this http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8663535&v=wall massively put me off! i can see myself last minute picking one at random and dealing with it..what a depressing prospect..

ReputationRep:
    i thought that too, but then reading stuff like this http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8663535&v=wall massively put me off! i can see myself last minute picking one at random and dealing with it..what a depressing prospect..
    seems to be the same 3 people going on. Most of it seems to be due to them not paying. Halls aren't ever going to be 5* accomodation. These kids probably have lots of money and are trying to cause problems. I wouldn't get too worried about it tbh. The students posting here don't seem to have dealt with the issue very well either. Not paying unite isnt going to help aand my guess is unite probably didnt realise there was a problem till people stopped paying.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Primary Education, and have chosen the Frenchay Student Village. I know they say NO for brining cars, but I'll be doing placements etc, so anyone no of a way round the no parking situation? :/ Can't wait though!

ReputationRep:

Favell and Waverley are next to each other and are dumps. As a final year UWE student, I have visited people in both of these places, and I wouldn't stay there if I was paid. They have fire alarms at all hours of the night, and the places stink. There is no respect for people's living spaces at all. It starts off looking rubbish, and then gets progressively worse and worse as the year goes on. Parents faces' fall when they arrive and see how their children will be living. My friend was forced to move out of Waverley in the end.

Marketgate is possibly slightly better than Waverley and Favell, and has a great location by Cabot Circus, and better bus links.

For City Centre accomodation try the iQ building? It's pretty new and even the most basic rooms are nice.

ReputationRep:
    If you are studying at Bower Ashton, I would probably recommend living closer to the campus rather than in the city centre. Otherwise you will be relying on the U1 (U Link - UWE buses) to take you to campus, and although UWE tries hard, there are ALWAYS bus problems.

University open days

1. University of the West of England
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
  2. University of the West of England
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 3 Nov '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.