Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am thinking of applying for a shared room at uni in halls, mainly because it's a lot cheaper, and I'm actually used to people sharing my room now and again, and I don't mind it at all, it's jokes a lot of the time, but these are people I know quite well.

So I was wondering what are people's experiences/opinions with room sharing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yokabasha)
    Hi, I am thinking of applying for a shared room at uni in halls, mainly because it's a lot cheaper, and I'm actually used to people sharing my room now and again, and I don't mind it at all, it's jokes a lot of the time, but these are people I know quite well.

So I was wondering what are people's experiences/opinions with room sharing?
    I haven't shared a room, but I can barely stand sharing a flat, so... :awesome:

Hope you don't like fapping. :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    I haven't shared a room, but I can barely stand sharing a flat, so... :awesome:

Hope you don't like fapping. :mmm:
    Lol yeah I've thought about "the business" but when people stay over, I never think about it, always get distracted. What's sharing a flat like?

ReputationRep:
    Lol yeah I've thought about "the business" but when people stay over, I never think about it, always get distracted. What's sharing a flat like?
    Depends on who you ask. Plenty of people on here love all the "banter" and all that rubbish, personally it was a novelty for the first week and then it started to piss me off. Mainly because my flatmates love to have fun fun fun fun, which is fine, except their idea of fun is running round like children shrieking, banging on doors and messing with the fire extinguisher so we all get charged for it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be sharing a 1 bed flat most likely with my boyfriend for uni, however I couldn't share a room with anyone else other than him for longer than a month. Everyone's different though.

ReputationRep:
    You couldn't pay me enough to share a room with a random stranger at university. Not a chance. I wouldn't even want to share with my close friends for longer than a couple of days on holiday. Ergh. I do live with my boyfriend and obviously we share a flat, but that's a little different!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind it if I got to choose, but obviously in halls you could be stuck sharing with absolutely anyone! What if you really didn't get on, or one of you had a girlfriend/friend whatever round! So many potential problems. I could never do it!

ReputationRep:
    I had to share for 6 weeks while people dropped out cos there weren't enough rooms - I suppose this might have made it seem better since it was only temporary, but there are other sides to that. Because it was temporary - I didn't get a proper bed AND felt like I was in the way all the time (I was always going to be the one who moved out) so I reckon this balances out enough for me to be about neutral.

Honestly? I quite liked sharing. But it would depend on quite a lot of things - there would have to be loads of space (something we lacked due to the whole extra bed thing) and loads of storage space. I can imagine without your own desk would get majorly annoying too. We didn't even have two internet connections for the first two weeks.

I thought it was really nice always having someone around - I've heard it can get pretty lonely in the first couple of weeks while you get used to being away from home, but I never had that. Although again, it would massively depend on who you room with. We weren't in each others way too much - although again, that would depend on your course/lecture times (ours were pretty different). Work hadn't really kicked in yet so tricky to see how we'd have coped there.

So basically, if you get lucky with your roommate and the room is good, it's great. If you don't - it could be a bit tricky.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I could never do it, but that's just because I need my own private space to retreat to once in a while, otherwise I'd go insane! However, I imagine it could be great if you end up with someone you get on well with

ReputationRep:
    my flatmates love to have fun fun fun fun
    Perhaps they were just looking forwards to the weekend?

I personally hate the idea, I spend large amounts of my time dancing around my room, blasting my music and occasionally walking around in my underwear. I could NOT do these things with someone else no matter how close we were. I don't know if anything similar is a concern for you, but think about like if you need to get work done and they're blasting music, or similar concerns? I know most people are pretty cool about stuff like that, but you can't guarantee.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on who you ask. Plenty of people on here love all the "banter" and all that rubbish, personally it was a novelty for the first week and then it started to piss me off. Mainly because my flatmates love to have fun fun fun fun, which is fine, except their idea of fun is running round like children shrieking, banging on doors and messing with the fire extinguisher so we all get charged for it.
    You sound quite annoyed with your housemates
    Don't mind that Man Child stuff normally but I can imagine it getting quite annoying if it's everyday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesse_Mac)
    Perhaps they were just looking forwards to the weekend?
    Kickin' in the...dooor, sittin' in the...corridor on the mattress they stole from someone's rooom... gotta make my mind up, which life should I taaake? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    You sound quite annoyed with your housemates
    Don't mind that Man Child stuff normally but I can imagine it getting quite annoying if it's everyday.
    They're not even horrible people or anything, I just prefer my own space and not shrill voices at all hours. :3

ReputationRep:
    I'd never do it tbh. :|

ReputationRep:
    If I had to share a room I would literally go completely insane. Sharing a flat drives me to distraction as it is.

ReputationRep:
    Kickin' in the...dooor, sittin' in the...corridor on the mattress they stole from someone's rooom... gotta make my mind up, which life should I taaake? :awesome:
    Oh, if I had any rep left..

ReputationRep:
    i share a room, and at first i really didnt want to. but weve had our petty arguments, and were fine now. its not too bad however as her boyfriend is at a different uni and usually at his.
    our room is classed as "the living room" in our flat, as its the biggest social space.
    i dont mind it, except when shes slept all day and is all excited at night and i just want to sleep....

but yeah the fact its ridiculously cheap is an excellent bonus, if you can cope id say go for it!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Couldn't do it personally. Enough kitchen stuff goes missing as it is, I wouldn't want to risk valuables going missing from my room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-x)
    Couldn't do it personally. Enough kitchen stuff goes missing as it is, I wouldn't want to risk valuables going missing from my room.
    Would you nick somebody's stuff that you're sharing with?!
    If not I think it's a bit odd to assume that somebody else would....

edit: I must have hit a nerve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesse_Mac)
    Oh, if I had any rep left..
    It's the thought that counts.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.