Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldn't mind sharing, but being that I spread papers everywhere when writing assignments, listen and sing-awfully-along-to random music I don't think I'd make a great roommate.

ReputationRep:
    Alrite guys, I think I'm gonna get a shared room, if worst comes to worst I can always change rooms...

ReputationRep:
    It's mostly the norm in the US isn't it? Or have I been watching too much TV? I suppose you just create a system when it comes to "alone time" etc, and just learn to live with each other otherwise.

Personally I couldn't think of anything worse as I love having my own space (never intend to share even a flat unless it's with a good friend and even then would prefer not to), but if you think you could cope with it, then it's definitely worth giving it a go. But do move out if you don't like it, I know what it's like to live somewhere you hate.

ReputationRep:
    I cant decide either. I suppose its if your willing to risk the possiblilty of something really great with the chance of something terrible and awkward...

ReputationRep:
    I share a room (in Italy for erasmus) and it's really great. I thought that it would be a bad idea because I've had bad experiences with student flats. However I think that people behave differently in shared rooms, and go out of their way to be accommodating as they don't want to create a negative atmosphere. One tip I would recommend is that you need to be tolerant i.e. don’t moan at someone for making a small amount of noise when coming back late because the chances are you do something equally or more irritating like spending too much time on the phone. Your roommate will probably be just as excited to meet you as you are (and albeit slightly nervous!)

ReputationRep:
    don't share a room, you will most likely regret it. :nah:

At least if you have your own room you can hang out with friends then ask them to leave.

ReputationRep:
    When I was working abroad I had to share a room with people I'd never met before. I have my own room at home, and wasn't looking forward to sharing, but it was totally fine, quite nice having people around

Bit annoying when they'd come back in the middle of the night and switch the light on...but it didn't happen often. Just treat each other with respect and it'll all be great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fiona344)
    When I was working abroad I had to share a room with people I'd never met before. I have my own room at home, and wasn't looking forward to sharing, but it was totally fine, quite nice having people around

Bit annoying when they'd come back in the middle of the night and switch the light on...but it didn't happen often. Just treat each other with respect and it'll all be great.
    No desk/bedside lamps?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.