Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldn't mind sharing, but being that I spread papers everywhere when writing assignments, listen and sing-awfully-along-to random music I don't think I'd make a great roommate.

ReputationRep:
    Alrite guys, I think I'm gonna get a shared room, if worst comes to worst I can always change rooms...

ReputationRep:
    It's mostly the norm in the US isn't it? Or have I been watching too much TV? I suppose you just create a system when it comes to "alone time" etc, and just learn to live with each other otherwise.

Personally I couldn't think of anything worse as I love having my own space (never intend to share even a flat unless it's with a good friend and even then would prefer not to), but if you think you could cope with it, then it's definitely worth giving it a go. But do move out if you don't like it, I know what it's like to live somewhere you hate.

ReputationRep:
    I cant decide either. I suppose its if your willing to risk the possiblilty of something really great with the chance of something terrible and awkward...

ReputationRep:
    I share a room (in Italy for erasmus) and it's really great. I thought that it would be a bad idea because I've had bad experiences with student flats. However I think that people behave differently in shared rooms, and go out of their way to be accommodating as they don't want to create a negative atmosphere. One tip I would recommend is that you need to be tolerant i.e. don’t moan at someone for making a small amount of noise when coming back late because the chances are you do something equally or more irritating like spending too much time on the phone. Your roommate will probably be just as excited to meet you as you are (and albeit slightly nervous!)

ReputationRep:
    don't share a room, you will most likely regret it. :nah:

At least if you have your own room you can hang out with friends then ask them to leave.

ReputationRep:
    When I was working abroad I had to share a room with people I'd never met before. I have my own room at home, and wasn't looking forward to sharing, but it was totally fine, quite nice having people around

Bit annoying when they'd come back in the middle of the night and switch the light on...but it didn't happen often. Just treat each other with respect and it'll all be great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fiona344)
    When I was working abroad I had to share a room with people I'd never met before. I have my own room at home, and wasn't looking forward to sharing, but it was totally fine, quite nice having people around

Bit annoying when they'd come back in the middle of the night and switch the light on...but it didn't happen often. Just treat each other with respect and it'll all be great.
    No desk/bedside lamps?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.