Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so this is my dress:

I was wondering whether any of you could offer advice on how I should wear my hair, make-up, shoe suggestions, bag suggestions, jewellery nail colour suggestions, etc... Just kinda anything to do with this dress. I would be incredibly grateful because I'm not very good at this kinda thing, lol.

I have light brown hair, pale skin and light blue eyes.

ReputationRep:
    your dress is lovely! I think you should have your hair abit like this : http://www.celebhairstyle.net/hairst...pdo-hairstyles (taylor swift one if your hair is long)

make up: simple smokey eye

Shoes: as your dress is long you can wear small heels/huge heels and still get away with it, whatever is comfortable i say

bag: a silver clutch/navy clutch

nails: navy colour to match or have a french manicure

jewellery: simple diamond pendant and long silver earrings

hope this helps abit!

ReputationRep:
    Hair - go for something off your face, either pinned back, or totally up. Proms = sweaty. Really depends on your face shape though, cant tell without pics what would suit you.

Makeup - avoid trying to play matchy matchy too much. I think a really neutral tone eyeshadow with a slightly darker one in the crease, then a slick of navy liner in a 50s sort of style would look pretty, then with natural colour lips.

Nails - French Manicure ALWAYS. Way too hard to match shades of navy.

Accessories - Your dress should be no more than 1.5in off the floor with shoes on, so choose your heel hight accordingly (or if that would require 9in stripper platforms, have the dress taken up haha). I'd go for silver open toed sandals with a bit of a sparkle to them.

For jewellery a lot of people will tell you wear a necklace but i dont think it looks that good unless you have a really long modelesque neck and perfect chest. It also depends on how you're having your hair as I think having it totally up would invite some really nice chandalier earrings into the equation and you dont want too much given the way the dress is detailed. I'd go for the dangly earrings and bracelet/ring on alternate arms/hands or very understated earrings and a simple silver necklace -nothing on a really feeble chain but no full on bib bling.

Handbag a nice silver clutch...again navy is too hard to match. Try TKMaxx I get all my clutch bags from there.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the suggestions, they're really helpful.
    Unfortunately, I can't wear earrings as I don't have my ears pierced.

As to what I look like, I try and refrain from posting pictures online but I have a oval/squarish face with quite prominant brows and jawline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeaX)
    EARRING HELP!:

http://www.ljdjewellery.co.uk/default.php?cPath=716 (earrings all available either in pierced or clip-on versions...also seem to be having a bit of a sale... some very nice sparkly dangly silver ones which would go amazingly with your dress)

Also some slightly more querky ones here (not sure how classic or funk you want go go with the jewellery): http://www.make-me-beautiful.co.uk/s...o=&dfrom=&dto=

Also, if you went small and relatively understated with the earrings, something like this: http://www.ajfashionjewellery.co.uk/...mb-p-2626.html
    or this: http://www.ajfashionjewellery.co.uk/...mb-p-2625.html
    could look quite nice in your hair

Maybe a nice simple silver tennis bracelet to finish it all off? As for necklaces, I think there's enough sparkle round the neckline of the dress - a necklace might make it look a bit OTT

Definite agreement on the silver clutch and the nails - too much hassle trying to match, and in the evening from experience I can say that navy nail polish has the tendency to look a tad black and goth-ish.

Have fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeaX)
    Hi, so this is my dress:

I was wondering whether any of you could offer advice on how I should wear my hair, make-up, shoe suggestions, bag suggestions, jewellery nail colour suggestions, etc... Just kinda anything to do with this dress. I would be incredibly grateful because I'm not very good at this kinda thing, lol.

Wow, this is scary, you seem exactly like me. My dress is very similar to yours, that exact colour and strapless, although the skirts a bit different. It has silver detail too, so I'm planning on having silver jewellery (but not overdoing it with the jewellery, nice and simple as I want the dress to be the main focus - I think this would look good for you as well.)

I'm also having a silver clutch, not a huge one though. I didn't want a clutch as I thought it would get in the way of my dancing and I didn't want to leave it around, but I think I've going to have to have one. But don't end up paying a fortune for one, I saw some at like hundreds of pounds and then the one I bought cost about £10, I think, and it's just as nice . I keeping it simple with the clutch too, just plain sliver and a bt sparkly, but not enough to detract from the dress. Same with shoes, my mate has bought some that cost £85. But they're going to be under your dress and they won't really be seen. I've got some plain silver heels to match my clutch. Which I can totally wear again. They're about four inches I think, I wanted quite tall ones because I'm pretty small, but any bigger and I wouldn't be able to walk. Make sure they're comfy too, if our feet ache all night, it will ruin it for us. I'm going to start wearing mine around the house to break them in

My colourings not quite the same as yours, I have long dark ginger/auburn hair and blue eyes. But I'm very fair too, so I think the main thing is not looking orange. Focus on your eyes, maybe a hint of silver?? Or smoky eyes, but I think then keep the rest of the make up quite natural. Enough so it enhances your natural beauty, without it looking painted on like a doll.

And I'm making a desperate effort to grow my nails, since I bite them... I know, awful habit I'm having just a french manicure, or maybe if you have nice, delicate fingers go for the dark blue to make a statement.

I hope some of this is of some use. Since our dresses and colourings and everything are so similar, if you want to compare anything nearer the time or ask me anything else before you buy, feel free. Oh and your dress is gorgeous btw, good choice. You'll look amazing

ReputationRep:
    Where did you get your dress from?

ReputationRep:
    hair up.
    bluey silvery eye shadow
    simply chandelier/dangly earring and a thin necklace as the necklne already has detailing
    silver clutch
    and silver high heels
    have fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeaX)
    Thanks for the suggestions, they're really helpful.

As to what I look like, I try and refrain from posting pictures online but I have a oval/squarish face with quite prominant brows and jawline.
    magnetic earrings?
    or the clip on ones?
    or get them pierced!!

ReputationRep:
    Get a purple head scarf to go with for dress, you would look the B-to the OMB...
    And go commando, all girls will go crazy...

ReputationRep:
    Have your hair up and keep everything simple so the dress really stands out.

ReputationRep:
    Your dress is amazing! All I can say is repeat what everyone else has said. Although if you don't have your ears peirced, perhaps you you put diamantes in your hair? A few girls at my prom had them and they looked really pretty. However, if you don't like that what do you think of a small tiara?

If you could, I would try and get away without a bag. But if not I recommend a small blue and silver clutch that matches your dress.

Hope this helps and you have a great time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeaX)
    Hi, so this is my dress:

Where's this dress from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbi_gen)
    Where's this dress from?
    Hi, it's from a small shop in a local town. It's made my Flirt though, which have many retailers.

http://www.flirtprom.com/stores

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.