Turn on thread page Beta

How do you cope with meeting deadlines for multiple essays? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I'm going to try and write this as short as possible so apologies if it does get a little long!

I've almost completed year 1 of BA English Literature and so far I've managed to meet deadlines, attend all classes and get decent marks.

Two weeks ago I was given four essays to do, one for April 1st and the rest due at 4pm on the 8th. I know I'll somehow manage to meet these deadlines this time and get an ok grade, so I'm not too worried in that sense because first year marks don't count towards my degree anyway.

The problem is, over the past two weeks I have been really stressed out trying to get everything done and I know a lot of my work is nowhere near as well written as I would have liked it to be. My real worry now is that I don't know whether I'll be able to cope next year if this happens again because literally the only thing that stopped me panicking about how bad these are being written is that they don't count.

So my question is basically how do you all cope with writing several essays/doing several assignments that are due at the same time without it having too much of a negative impact on your work?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Do one the night before, do one the morning it's due.

I've only ever had 1 simultaneous deadline, and that's how I dealt with it. But I don't do essays more than a day before they're due ever, so that may not work for everyone.

I guess you should redo the deadlines. If you have a month to do all 4, set a due date for yourself each week before then & pretend that that's your due date for each one. Then force yourself to believe that & not leave them all for the real date. Sort of a divide & conquer tactic.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree with what the user above said. Pretend your deadline is a week before and do it for then for every essay? I used to this to perfection for my GCSEs and was on time for everything but this year it's been impossible lol :p: See if it works for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    If you have a month to do all 4, set a due date for yourself each week before then & pretend that that's your due date for each one. Then force yourself to believe that & not leave them all for the real date. Sort of a divide & conquer tactic.
    I started doing that inititally and have finished 2 of them but the two I have left are 3000 and 2500 words, so I've started doing them both at the same time instead of splitting them like the others :/

ReputationRep:
    One essay per week and then use the last week before the deadline to edit and improve them. If you don't procrastinate you should be able to write at least 800 words in an afternoon x 5 days = 4000 word essay done.

ReputationRep:
    Bribe the lecturers :ninja:

Seriously though - if you can, do them as soon as you're given it e.g. if you know what you need to do for X essay 2 months before you need to hand it in, get a headstart on it. If your lecturers are mean and don't tell you anything in advance, just be really strict with yourself - research done in 2 days, written up in one for each assignment. In theory, you can do each assignment in 1 day but unless you're the kind of student who can pull this off and get good grades, don't do it - it's just more stress.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.