Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi im new to the idea of becoming a lawyer, so i know very little in this area.
    I was wondering if its it important, vital, or just helpful to do a degree in law if you were to become a lawyer.
    Also what are considered the top Law schools?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Reading Laws makes the process quicker.

Having a good degree from a better institution is much more important than having an LLB, though.

There's no "top" Law School, in my opinion. They just cost different amounts, and I don't think the firms care where you did your LPC, and if they do, they pay for you to do their own custom one at Kaplans or wherever.

College of Law is the best for making snide remarks about, though.

ReputationRep:
    Studying law means you have to do less study to become a lawyer (i.e. an LLB law degree exempts you from your first year of legal exams) but it's not a necessity. There are plenty of trainee lawyers in the top firms who have studied other degrees (although most are along the humanities/social sciences line, but not all).

The top law schools are Oxbridge/UCL/LSE really. But schools like Durham, Warwick, Nottingham, KCL, QMUL, Birmingham are also considered very good for law.

Don't forget you've got to do the LNAT

ReputationRep:
    Thanks alot that helped.
    So if was to do History at top 10 that would be better than law at top 15?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArsenal)
    Thanks alot that helped.
    I doubt it makes a difference. What would matter is what classification you got. Reading laws will shave a year off your total study time, though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks alot that helped.
    That would depend on your degree classification as much as anything; a 2:2 in history from Oxford isn't immediately going to look better than a first in law from a top 15 uni, and there's the matter of the GDL, so if you're set on law as a career, doing another degree could end up being a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    Reading for an LLB also makes the process cheaper. the GDL is ****ing expensive and not all firms that sponser the LPC are kind enough to sponsor the GDL as well

ReputationRep:
    How much does a GDL cost, and after doing a degree in law how many years would it take to start earning? Thanks for the responses.

ReputationRep:
    Cost depends on where you do it, length of time to start earning depends on success in applications for employment.

ReputationRep:
    Could you give me an average price? and how much training is required after a degree assuming it is in law. thanks

ReputationRep:
    Could you give me an average price.
    No. Look at the providers.

and how much training is required after a degree assuming it is in law. thanks
    1 post grad year + either a further year for barristers or two for solicitors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    No. Look at the providers.

1 post grad year + either a further year for barristers or two for solicitors.
    And bear in mind that the 2 years training for solicitors are as hard to find as hens' teeth.

And the 1 year pupillage for barristers is like a dog that speaks - very rare.

ReputationRep:
    My TC was pooed from a rocking horse :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks alot, one last thing, Does a masters help?

ReputationRep:
    My TC was pooed from a rocking horse :p:
    Who is/was it with, out of curiosity? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerrama)
    Who is/was it with, out of curiosity? :holmes:
    GLS

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks alot, one last thing, Does a masters help?
    Only in the very smallest of circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Reading Laws makes the process quicker.

Having a good degree from a better institution is much more important than having an LLB, though.

There's no "top" Law School, in my opinion. They just cost different amounts, and I don't think the firms care where you did your LPC, and if they do, they pay for you to do their own custom one at Kaplans or wherever.

College of Law is the best for making snide remarks about, though.
    If you don't mind, what do you mean by this?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Only in the very smallest of circumstances.
    Would you mind elaborating?
    And since you seem to know a lot do you think a degree such as Law and Finance from Oxford would help when applying to law firms?
    How about their Bachelor of Civil law or an LL.M such as the one in LSE?
    Surely that would help.

Last question I promise how about a Dphil of Law.
    Surely that would be a massive advantage when applying to law firms.

Don't take into account costs since that is a no issue.

I was thinking of pursuing Law(jurisprudence)@Oxford>Law and finance>Bachelor of civil law or Dphil of Law>Dphil of Law.

Oh PS: I'm not looking to work in the UK for at least 6 years once I have my Dphil so I'm not intersted in right after uni work but more down the line after 6 years of experience in another firm(the one I've got my current contract with).

ReputationRep:
    Masters are useful where they are directly related to a niche the firm you intend to work for practices. General masters or ones that are done purely for interest don't add much to a TC application. If you have a specific niche sector in mind then the Masters will assit your application - for example an LLM focussing on the carriage of goods by sea would be useful for a firm with a shipping practice.

The BCL is different to other masters and is a useful one to do, although it seems to be more prevalent at the bar than in solicitors.

If you already have a TC and you are looking to make moves as a qualified solicitor the firms you are applying to will be most interested in your practical experience and the areas of law you have worked in.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.