Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody,

I have an offer from Southampton, UCL, Kings College London and Manchester for BSC computer Science.

I am struggling to choose my 1st option, between UCL and Southampton.

Both have the same grade requirements AAA.

The pulling factor towards UCL for me is that it has a very good global ranking and reputation as a university. I mean in future when I apply for a job, do you think a degree from UCL would be better than Southampton.

I have talked to many people and everybody says, UCL is better and I have more options open to me later eg: banking etc

However what pulls me towards Southampton is its ranking in Computer Science. Apparently Southampton is ranked quite high for computer science and they specialize in electrical engineering and computer science.

However I have no idea what recruiters feel about Southampton vs UCL.

Really confused.... Please help...

Thanks a ton!

ReputationRep:
    Both are very good unis, you can't go wrong with either of them. In terms of rankings, in The Times, Soton is 4th whereas UCL is 6th. For EE Soton is #2 whereas UCL is a down a bit at 13. That said I'd say UCL is more known worldwide and is, in general, seen is more prestigious. Being in the capital also has it's advantages - but also it's problems (higher costs, more debt, etc).

Really though for CS & EE they're both highly regarded, both have great resources and a degree from either will set you up nicely.

ReputationRep:
    Most definietly UCL!!! There are a lots of good lecturers/professors! Knowledge matters a lot, since your employer wants you to be able to bring profit. Actually if you go on do to do masters, I know that many lecturers/professors there has good contacts in the industry.

I am mainly interested in software engineering though, thus I have checked things in that area mostly.

ReputationRep:
    Soton has street cred for CS but UCL is a better all-round uni and is more recognised by people who aren't 'in the know'.

One other thing to consider apart from employability is the huge difference in the student experience between UCL, a large London uni, and Soton, a campus uni in a mild-mannered town.

On the whole, I'd personally pick UCL but they're both great choices and well done on getting offers from them!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in exactly the same position.

I've visited both and to be honest I just flat out prefered soton. The facilities they have their are amazing and soooo much better than UCL's! But i'm aware that UCL has a better worldwide reputation and being in london has better contacts with banks which does leave more options open.

Also, i'm not very confident on the UCL CS course. Is it actually a decent course? I went to the open day and they made it sound the the worst university to study CS at ever, and i'm really hoping it isn't...

In short, HELP!

ReputationRep:
    UCL doesn't have much of a reputation for CS.

Soton has a reputation for being one of the best CS Universities in the country. Yes UCL has a massive world-wide reputation, but not for CS.
    Soton is far superior in this field.

Both Universities have fantastic graduate perspectives - so choose the University you feel you like the most, the place you feel most comfortable and can see yourself being happiest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squimmy)
    I'm in exactly the same position.

I've visited both and to be honest I just flat out prefered soton. The facilities they have their are amazing and soooo much better than UCL's! But i'm aware that UCL has a better worldwide reputation and being in london has better contacts with banks which does leave more options open.

Also, i'm not very confident on the UCL CS course. Is it actually a decent course? I went to the open day and they made it sound the the worst university to study CS at ever, and i'm really hoping it isn't...

In short, HELP!
    Soton is only like an hour and a half drive from London - it's not far.
    For that reason, Soton have a lot of London contacts and i believe with their careers fairs etc a lot of people representing London companies go to Soton to try and recruit graduates.

I'd seriously pick Soton - I didn't even bother putting down UCL as one of my choices. Soton have a MASSIVE reputation in the UK for Computer Science and as you rightly put, they have fantastic facilities.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't agree more with recent posts!

Yes UCL has the 'so called' prestige characteristics & better overall national and international rankings but it lacks in the field of e.g. CS which you are studying.

Southampton, on the other hand, is considered prestigious (but not as UCL)as it's also one of the russell group universities in the UK. It is highly regarded for CS and engineering.

So now you have a rough idea of what they are both like & can now conclude that they could be on par with 1 another.
    You should now think about other factors such as location, course and what specific modules are of interest to you, social life e.t.c. So i suggest you go and visit both and examine thoroughly.

You really don't want to spend 3/4 years at a place where you will be so demotivated to study mate.

Hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    And Suppose I threw Warwick into the mix?
    How would its CS department and general standing compare with the other 2 ( Soton and UCL)?

ReputationRep:
    Thank goodness for a thread on which people sensibly look beyond broad brush perceptions.

ReputationRep:
    CS isn't a degree where the Uni go to matters all too much.

Sure, if you're comparing Unis in the top 10 to those in the top 50 or top 100 it's something to consider, but any Uni inside the top 10 is brilliant.

A lot more emphasis will be put on your classification, experience, etc. which will come down to other aspects of the Uni, such as location (UCL being in London for example), teaching methods, course contents which all depend on what you personally prefer.

ReputationRep:
    I have offer letter of both Manchester and UCL for BSc computer Science .Which one do I chose?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 29, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.