differences between individual offers Watch

This discussion is closed.
zom
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I have applied to read law this year and have got AAAAA, AAAB, AAAB offers from UCL, Nottingham and Manchester respectively. However, I have noticed that a lot of students have been receiving offers as low as ABB or BBB or even ones which require a mixture of A's B's and C's for the same course. Is it really fair that offers can differ that much?
J.S.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by zom)
I have applied to read law this year and have got AAAAA, AAAB, AAAB offers from UCL, Nottingham and Manchester respectively. However, I have noticed that a lot of students have been receiving offers as low as ABB or BBB or even ones which require a mixture of A's B's and C's for the same course. Is it really fair that offers can differ that much?

I have NEVER come across a 5 A offer before. Are you sure you didn't keep your hand on the 'a' button on your keyboard for a little longer than necessary?
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
I have NEVER come across a 5 A offer before. Are you sure you didn't keep your hand on the 'a' button on your keyboard for a little longer than necessary?
I have. I know someone who Cambridge gave AAAAA to. She ended up with AAAAD. Ouch.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by zom)
Extra carricular activities and personal circumstances are often taken into account and can lead to major disparity.

No two students are the same and some are more appealing to a university than others!
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
its not really very fair, i got a AAAA offer from Bath for psychology yet i know other peope who have got ABB. i've heard that it may be because they are my predicted grades and the uni just wants to push me to do my best rather than slacken off in my A2 year.
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by zom)
they want other people more than you, sorry if that sounds harsh, plus they probably want you to put them as your first choice not insurance, hence the higher offers

a lot of the low offers appear to be for international students so its probably a money thing
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Are you the guy who already has 2 A's from last year?
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What subjects are you doing? If you're doing subjects which they (rightly or wrongly) think are "easy" then that might be the reason for the harsh offers.
zom
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alexander)
What subjects are you doing? If you're doing subjects which they (rightly or wrongly) think are "easy" then that might be the reason for the harsh offers.
Im doing French, Maths, Biology, Economics and Fine Art.
Ok admittedly Art isnt what you'd call an "academic" subject...i just do it because i enjoy it. But the other 4 arent really what they call "mickey mouse" subjects. However a lot of the people i know who have got AAA offers from UCL for Law are doing subjects like Critical Writing (at least I think thats what its called), Law, Business Studies, Politics etc.

Yes I have already got AA in Biology and Maths (which I did in my lower sixth). However that doesnt mean that they shouldnt count... Many unis say they want to see that you can cope with the pressure of doing 3 A2's in your final year, however I did 18modules last year which is twice as much work (3 A2's = only 9 modules).

Also, why would they offer me a place if they didnt really like me considering they apparently have 3000 applicants for 200 or so places.
I doing absolutely loads of stuff in my free time and have done loads of work experience. Its just really frustrating especially as when i spoke to UCL said they would reject me if I only got AAAA!

Its becoming more and more obvious to me that the whole application process really isnt fair.
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by zom)

Its becoming more and more obvious to me that the whole application process really isnt fair.
The most true thing I've read all day.
i think this is something the government needs to address more extensivly- offers given and WHY certain people are selected.
It seems odd that people with A*/A GCSEs can't get in to the top ten unis.
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I spoke to sum people on on open day who offers of AAB and i had an offer BBB for the same course (chemistry durham)
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
I spoke to sum people on on open day who offers of AAB and i had an offer BBB for the same course (chemistry durham)
A factor to consider concerning Durham is the college you apply to. The tutor said that applying to a popular college may mean that you get a higher offer.

J.
zom
Rep:
?
(Original post by hornblower)
A factor to consider concerning Durham is the college you apply to. The tutor said that applying to a popular college may mean that you get a higher offer.

J.
I think that your family background, education, and race should not form part of the UCAS application form. Is it true that the government gives targets for unis to meet on who they can accept? I also dont think it is fair that overseas students should have to pay £20,000 a year or whatever it is. It is not fair for them as they shouldnt have to pay twenty times as much as we do and unfair for us because we just cant offer that kind of additional financial benefit to unis (all of which are currently seriously underfunded and need as much money as they can get)
MuvverRussia
Report 16 years ago
Zom- How do you propose financing the tuition of foreign students if they pay the same as us then? Remember that UK students are funded through the UK tax system, meaning that the govt contribute towards our tuition. If they introduced your system then UK tax payers would effectively be subsidising the education of foreign nationals, something that would undoubtely be popular with UK tax payers.

Also, in most places the international fee is between £6-13k pa, nowhere near the £20k you've quoted.
zom
Rep:
?
i am sorry about the 20k figure, I was guessing but 12k is still substantial! My point wasnt so much how to correct it but merely stating that it is a serious problem. If I knew the solution (which I agree is a very difficult one) then I would be writing to Tony Blair not posting it on this message board! However, for a start, each British citizen does not pay anywhere near as much as 12k per annum purely for education- this is a very good reason for decreasing the overseas student uni fee. In addition, the money we pay through taxation towards education in this country does not go directly to the universities... it goes to the government first (giving universities no grounds to discriminate between those who can and cant give them lots of money)- so perhaps international students should give the 12k to the government first. There can be no denying that overseas students are more appealing to universities through absolutely no fault of the students.
smaug
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by zom)
Yes I have already got AA in Biology and Maths (which I did in my lower sixth). However that doesnt mean that they shouldnt count... Many unis say they want to see that you can cope with the pressure of doing 3 A2's in your final year, however I did 18modules last year which is twice as much work (3 A2's = only 9 modules)....
Of course its not fair, just as its not fair that some people have to go to crap schools and some go to brilliant ones! :rolleyes:

Regarding your 5A offer: I think theyre sending out a message that they see doing two A levels in year twelve and two in year thirteen (they probably don't really rate the fine art as an academic subject) as just a little bit of a cheat way of getting your grades ! And perhaps they are right, or why did you bother??
franz
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by smaug)
Regarding your 5A offer: I think theyre sending out a message that they see doing two A levels in year twelve and two in year thirteen (they probably don't really rate the fine art as an academic subject) as just a little bit of a cheat way of getting your grades ! And perhaps they are right, or why did you bother??
As he says, he did more work last year than anyone doing the standard 4 AS in lower sixth, then 3 A2 in upper sixth. If its easier for him to get good grades this year thats only because he did so much work last year.
zom
Rep:
?
(Original post by smaug)
Of course its not fair, just as its not fair that some people have to go to crap schools and some go to brilliant ones! :rolleyes:

what so im "cheating" a system that only requires people to get 3 A-level qualifications (academic or not) by doing 4 academic A-levels and one extra A-level just for enjoyment?! I dont really follow. I bothered because i didnt think and i still dont think it should make ANY difference when you do your A-levels. For example, take this simple analogy: if a teacher sets a deadline for a piece of work for his/her whole class, and you decide to work twice as hard for the first week to get it out of the way and give it to him/her one week early, following your logic you would presumably think it was ok for that teacher to set you even more work to fill up the time before the deadline?! An A-level is an A-level.

Im sure many people will not agree with this but I personally feel that doing all six modules of an A-level not only in HALF THE TIME but A YEAR EARLY is a much more impressive indicator of "how much you can deal with pressure" than doing the same A-level spread over two years and taken at the end of college.
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by zom)
Im sure many people will not agree with this but I personally feel that doing all six modules of an A-level not only in HALF THE TIME but A YEAR EARLY is a much more impressive indicator of "how much you can deal with pressure" than doing the same A-level spread over two years and taken at the end of college.
Many people do Alevels in one year, it's quite common. Perhaps you were fortunate to have that on your side, and if you hadnt done so...you may have been rejected...ie. You could have been a borderline candidate.
zom
Rep:
?
(Original post by aliel)
Many people do Alevels in one year, it's quite common. Perhaps you were fortunate to have that on your side, and if you hadnt done so...you may have been rejected...ie. You could have been a borderline candidate.
No when i spoke to UCL they said that I was very near the top of their list, I didnt have an interview. Their reason is that they want everone to "get three A's in one sitting" to "show that you can deal with the pressure of doing lots of work" which is illogical. What really shows up the whole thing about unis and early A-levels is that although they said they probably would not accept me with AAAAB this year, they would next year even though I wouldnt resit the one with the B!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (8)
29.63%
No (16)
59.26%
Don't know (3)
11.11%

Watched Threads