Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Parliament should compulsorily be 50% female watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It needs to be 50% women, and the Government should take action to implement this, so that equality for women can be achieved in a male-dominated profession.

Edit: The amount of neg rep I have received just shows that sexism is very much alive and well.

ReputationRep:
    No. I am against any discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    What if no one wanted to vote for women?

ReputationRep:
    Go swing

ReputationRep:
    Microcosmic parliament is wrong on a lot of levels. I'll elaborate if anyone wants, I actually know a lot about this subject.

Edit: Why am I being negged? :curious: Because people don't believe Microcosmic representation is wrong or because I said I know a lot about the issue. I do.. I know most of the theoretical arguments for and against it, as well as the works of the major theorists behind it. I wrote an essay on it last month that was worth quite a lot of my grade. Geeeez. Excuse me for not being pointlessly humble.

ReputationRep:
    well i think 50% of bikini models should be men so that equality for men can be achieved in a female-dominated profession

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarmanFan)
    It needs to be 50% women, and the Government should take action to implement this, so that equality for women can be achieved in a male-dominated profession.
    No, parliament should be filled with whoever is voted for, regardless of sex or gender. If that means the government becomes 100% female, I'm all for it; likewise I'm all for it if it means government becomes 100% male, as long as they have been democratically voted in. Forcing women into places will not help equality, it'll only breed resentment.

ReputationRep:
    I know you're a troll, but still.

The thing is, quotas for this sort of thing do actually work providing they're temporary. In Denmark they put in a quota to get female representation up to 40% I think, and then removed it afterwards. Everybody was expecting the number of women in parliament to drop dramatically however it remained steady, showing that in reality, it's not that women don't want to go into Politics, it's that there really is a glass ceiling, and a temporary quota can help break that ceiling.

So yeah, I do support a quota, but provided it's removed after the election in question.

ReputationRep:
    This assumes gender is the primary means by which people identify themselves.

Why should we base representation by gender and not by colour/sexuality/religion/disability/eye colour? Why is gender more valid?

ReputationRep:
    I think Harriet Harman is a good argument against that idea.

ReputationRep:
    Your name.

Your post.

ReputationRep:
    Very democratic :dry:

ReputationRep:
    The only good female politicians have been Maggie Thatcher and President Alison Taylor from 24.

ReputationRep:
    We should choose the people that are best for the job, not the people that will fill a quota.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    I actually know a lot about this subject.
    Well no, you clearly don't hunny.

ReputationRep:
    People get into parliament by being nominated by their parties, selected to be their party's candidate, and then elected by the public. And that is the way it should stay.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer democracy over affirmitive action.

And to the OP - Please go and change your jam rag.

ReputationRep:
    TSR should be compulsorily be 100% troll-free.

But that'll never happen so...

ReputationRep:
    Wait:

What if the constituents inside her constituency didn't like her? Didn't think she'd get things done? Didn't represent what they wanted?

Then what? You're going to force a women upon then? "Here, Labour-majority area, take a women Conservative who has no intent on representing you!"

That wouldn't work.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think that's kind of patronising?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.