Turn on thread page Beta

Parliament should compulsorily be 50% female watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarmanFan)
    The amount of neg rep I have received just shows that sexism is very much alive and well.
    I just neg repped you, and I'm neither sexist nor male.

ReputationRep:
    It needs to be 50% women, and the Government should take action to implement this, so that equality for women can be achieved in a male-dominated profession.

Edit: The amount of neg rep I have received just shows that sexism is very much alive and well.
    Feminists do not want to be equality, they want dominance over men.

Now GTFO and make me a sandwich

ReputationRep:
    Whats the odds that Harmanfan is actualy Teveth?

ReputationRep:
    Instead of requiring 50% of parliament be female, efforts should be made that 50% of parliament could be female.

ReputationRep:
    Then I demand an equal proportion of child representatives. If we're disregarding the ability to actually do the job then it's only fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    No. I am against any discrimination.
    Your definition of discrimination is painfully simple minded. Is the result of the current set-up not discriminatory?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    Your definition of discrimination is painfully simple minded. Is the result of the current set-up not discriminatory?
    No. It's the people who vote and a womans vote is worth no less than a mans. No politician is chosen due to their gender.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously having any kind of quota in the House of Commons doesn't make any sense because you'd be telling people how they have to vote. But what about the House of Lords? Maybe there is scope there to make it more representative of the population. I'm not really proposing we do this, but it's worth thinking about.

ReputationRep:
    The amount of neg rep I have received just shows that sexism is very much alive and well.

I negged you and am not sexist at all. I think woman should be equally represented as men but forcing it isnt the answer.

ReputationRep:
    What women, and a fair few men mind you, have fought for for decades is the right to be able to qualify in the workplace, in the home and politics based on their abilities and not just their sex.

If we simply let us women into parliament simply because we are female we are reverting back to the 1800's where a woman was designated the carer in a family and home simply because she was a woman.

MP's should be decided because of ablities and not gender, perhaps with fairer voting more women will hopefully stand for election and campaign. And THEN we will have more women in Parliament depending on our votes, rather than by complusion.

ReputationRep:
    It needs to be 50% women, and the Government should take action to implement this, so that equality for women can be achieved in a male-dominated profession.

Edit: The amount of neg rep I have received just shows that sexism is very much alive and well.
    I've just gave u a neg as well so put that in your pipe and smoke it.

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculous statement from what I can only hope is a troll. Democracy is about being represented by the person who you think best represents your views and needs, not based on what genitalia they have.

ReputationRep:

If 50% of the elected MPs happen to be female, then yes, 50% of Parliament should be female.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renner)
    Whats the odds that Harmanfan is actualy Teveth?
    ...and that both are Tory trolls?

ReputationRep:
    It should be the best man or woman for the job. Regardless of percentages.

You should win your seat on your policies and campaign, not on whether you have a fanny or not.

ReputationRep:
    No, having parliament 50% female just for the sake of it is a bad idea.

ReputationRep:

No it shouldn't. Positive discrimination is ridiculous, there are plenty of reasons why there aren't that many women in parliament. For one, maybe there aren't that many women interested in persuing a career as a politician? Maybe some women stop at a lower level to have children? Or maybe the women candidates at the moment just aren't that good.

It should be whoever is best for the job, be it all women, all men, or a mix. Oh and yes, I'm a woman who is interested in politics before you accuse me of being a sexist man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Why? Because I disagreed with you? It's okay, I didn't really write a 3000 word essay on the theoretical flaws of microcosmic representation (ie, 50% gender split in parliament) last month or anything.. :rolleyes:

I could recommend you some theorists who have written on the matter; Joni Lovenduski, Sarah Childs and Hannah Pitkin from the top of my head (although Pitkin is a bit outdated), but since you're a troll what's the point?
    haha u suck

ReputationRep:

so lets all pick people based on gender rather than merit aye?

theres a reason its so male dominant... far more men run for parliament than woman, far more men study politics, therefore there are more good quality male candidates
    by making it 50/50 we would lose some great politicians for some not even second rate women
    almost 80% of politics students at my uni are male and im guessing theres similar numbers at others

ReputationRep:
    100 negs... that has to be some kind of record.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.