Turn on thread page Beta

Parliament should compulsorily be 50% female watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarmanFan)
    It needs to be 50% women, and the Government should take action to implement this, so that equality for women can be achieved in a male-dominated profession.

Edit: The amount of neg rep I have received just shows that sexism is very much alive and well.
    Rather than that, surely it would be better if women were to get in on their own merit, rather than on a policy of positive discrimination. If that were the policy, then it would only lead people to say 'well you only got in because we have to take 50% women.' It would mean people would devalue the intelligent, capable women who would get in regardless of whether or not there is a cap on male MPs/Lords. Positive discrimination is not the way forward imo (and I'm female and very interested in politics). There is no reason why women cannot be in the government on their own merit - plus that could potentially rule out some men who are capable too.

Obviously, the government is male dominated but that's only because of the history of this country. The male-female ratio in the work place has been and is still changing in favour of equality. Gradually we women are getting more recognition - I just don't think positive discrimination is going to get us anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Microcosmic parliament is wrong on a lot of levels. I'll elaborate if anyone wants, I actually know a lot about this subject.
    Me me, I'd like to know!

ReputationRep:
    It needs to be 50% women, and the Government should take action to implement this, so that equality for women can be achieved in a male-dominated profession.

Edit: The amount of neg rep I have received just shows that sexism is very much alive and well.
    To join parliament, it requires people to be elected. You can't rig elections to force women to be in parliament.

And nominations should be chosen by their local party officials and they should chose who is nominated by their qualities and politics and local influence, regardless of the perspn's sex.

ReputationRep:
    Christ, Prime Minister's Questions would just become a half-hour long nagging session.

(Original post by Teveth)
    Is the result of the current set-up not discriminatory?
    Nope.

Nothing like a simple answer to a stupid question, eh?

ReputationRep:
    How would we enforce a quota of 50% women?? I mean theoretically we could force each party to field an equal number of male and female candidates in a general election, but they might just put all the women in the seats that they're never going to win.

In principle having more women in parliament is probably a good goal, and not as radical as some people posting on this thread seem to think. There are forms of non-voluntary quotas in place in most Latin American countries, France, Belgium, Spain, Poland, Indonesia, Iraq, Afghanistan, Uganda, Rwanda, and lots of others. Quotas are supported bu the UN and are generally non considered sexist against men because women start from a disadvantaged point (i.e. women might not even consider it as a career given it seems like such a man's game in this country). I think enforcing a quota of 50% would be unfeasible and undemocratic in Britain, where women's position is not that disadvantaged in politics compared to men's. I think the main parties need to take the first steps, making sure there isn't inherent bias towards picking men for "safe seats" and we should work from there.

ReputationRep:
    2% of parliment should be Babies/Toddlers under your idea.

ReputationRep:
    What do people think of my idea of having a gender quota in the House of Lords? What implications would that have?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, as someone who values my rights as a woman, and someone who is against any form of discrimination, including sexism, I must say this:

I agree that a society ruled by men is unfair, however shouldn't parliment be based on the best people for the job rather that race, appearance, disability, or gender.

However introducing new laws such as that would surely increase the gap, the awareness of such differences?

Shouldn't we be giving everyone an equal chance? If laws like that were enforced, we would end up with a parliment based on such boundaries and diffrences, rather than one free from them. Other minorities would complain, and eventually, we would probably end up witha parliment of half black, half disabled, half mentally ill people who only gained gtheir positions because of their differences, not because they were the best candidates for the job?

ReputationRep:

Idiot. What you are proposing is sexism as well, but in favour of women rather than men. Any kind of positive or negative discrimination is wrong; if a male candidate is better than another, or vice versa, they should get the position, even if this means that the govt. is 75% male, or 75% female, or whatever.

ReputationRep:

More training sessions should be introduced for women and potential female candidates; this should cover things such as public speaking, body language, and speeches of encouragement for current female Ministers and MP's + civil servants etc.

Friendlier working hours could be implemented, MPs may hold debates/votes until the late evening, which means childcare etc, there needs to be links with MPs and Westminster administration so MPs may know in advance when certain bills and how long certain bills will be debated. Currently MPs are only usually aware of their timetables a week in advance, which does not give enough time for MPs to get appropriate child care. Also the current expenses system does not fully cover child care - which may discourage women from joining parliament later on in life.

Lots of other initiatives can be introduced. . . .

Positive discrimination will just discourage this "male-dominated" world that women aren’t capable of running or being part of government unless it is "given" to them. This is a long term issue which needs to be dealt with sensibly over time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tuma19)
    More training sessions should be introduced for women and potential female candidates; this should cover things such as public speaking, body language, and speeches of encouragement for current female Ministers and MP's + civil servants etc.

Friendlier working hours could be implemented, MPs may hold debates/votes until the late evening, which means childcare etc, there needs to be links with MPs and Westminster administration so MPs may know in advance when certain bills and how long certain bills will be debated. Currently MPs are only usually aware of their timetables a week in advance, which does not give enough time for MPs to get appropriate child care. Also the current expenses system does not fully cover child care - which may discourage women from joining parliament later on in life.

Lots of other initiatives can be introduced. . . .

Positive discrimination will just discourage this "male-dominated" world that women aren’t capable of running or being part of government unless it is "given" to them. This is a long term issue which needs to be dealt with sensibly over time.
    the problem isnt so much the enviroment of politics but the number of girls studying politics and actually taking an interest in it
    and running a country? its never going to be family friendly, you are always going to be needed to shift your schedule for important issues and emergancies
    the problem HAS to be dealt with at the education stages otherwisewe would have undequalified women in parliament for the sake of evening out the numbers
    a woman wouldn't join the army then moan about it not being a family friendly job, why should politics be any different, a workplace should never have to have a major overhall just so it suits more applicants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f00ddude)
    the problem isnt so much the enviroment of politics but the number of girls studying politics and actually taking an interest in it
    and running a country? its never going to be family friendly, you are always going to be needed to shift your schedule for important issues and emergancies
    the problem HAS to be dealt with at the education stages otherwisewe would have undequalified women in parliament for the sake of evening out the numbers
    a woman wouldn't join the army then moan about it not being a family friendly job, why should politics be any different, a workplace should never have to have a major overhall just so it suits more applicants
    oh dear.

i used the words "could" and "may" for a reason.....

i wasn't saying that the system should be changed just that it may be a reason why women are discouraged from joining in the first place...

but i get your point

ReputationRep:
    wow, record neg rep for OP :O

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.