Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Having done all my GCSEs with AQA (with the exception of Edexcel maths GCSE... let's not remember that...), I've been used to being able to log onto the AQA website and download whatever past papers I want. In addition, they also publish loads of other useful stuff, such as examiners' reports and mark schemes, again available free online.

This year, most of my ASs are with OCR. And I was very surprised to see that their website only offers a 'specimen paper' for each course they offer. When I email to ask where the full range of materials where, they sent me an order form and PRICE LIST to get hold of past papers etc! The cheek! :eek:

Does anyone agree with me that this isn't acceptable for an exam board to do, especially when they claim to want to "recognise achievement"? I thought that the entry fees paid by schools covered such expenses, and anyway, what's so different that means that AQA have them online for everyone?

BTW, does anyone know what it is that might make a teacher choose to take one exam board over another (e.g. do they compete with each other in terms of fees, or are some more respected than others, etc)?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone agree with me that this isn't acceptable for an exam board to do, especially when they claim to want to "recognise achievement"? I thought that the entry fees paid by schools covered such expenses, and anyway, what's so different that means that AQA have them online for everyone?

BTW, does anyone know what it is that might make a teacher choose to take one exam board over another (e.g. do they compete with each other in terms of fees, or are some more respected than others, etc)?
    I agree. I think OCR want their students to 'think on their feet' without being spoon fed through past papers etc. I do think this is a good idea, but I feel OCR are a bit tight in that:

- OCR publish a 'specimen paper' - why not publish the 'real' thing?
    - AQA past papers can be found on the AQA website

Perhaps OCR just want to make more money out of their publications, by getting people to buy them instead? After all they can choose to do whatever they like!

I think the answer to your 2nd question, 'Does anyone know what it is that might make a teacher choose to take one exam board over another', is that course content varies from exam board to exam board. For example, there may be more/less coursework involved, more/less exams, preliminary material etc. I do think some exam boards are respected more than others.

ReputationRep:
    Good point. I do have some materials though - so if you post what A-Levels you're doing then I might be able to help or at least try to point you in the right direction.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    I have some materials for the GCE in Applied ICT and History for OCR, so if these are uweful then just reply to this thread. I agree with the comments made so far though and it is just a case of looking in the right places for the limited material they have online.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.emailed.org.uk/ anough said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by destudent)
    Good point. I do have some materials though - so if you post what A-Levels you're doing then I might be able to help or at least try to point you in the right direction.

Good Luck
    I'm doing English Lit; Govt & Politics; and RS (Philosophy of Religion & Ethics options) - all OCR.

Any ideas for getting hold of support materials/tips would be *much* appreciated

Thanks,

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.