Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winter_mute)
    There's been a few people who have tried to get CDL's here and have been turned down for GEP

Even at 5% you'll owe £12,000 before you start earning.

I know the DoH know about this, but it's obvious that they don't care. The core Tory voters can afford to send their kids on GEP so they don't give a toss.

I feel so lucky that I'm in a position where I can afford to pay, but there are so many people who'd make great doctors that can't now because of changes to an entry route set up for them!
    That's really frustrating. Though at least the second loan option is open for us, which is a lot more than you get with most second degrees (and without the 5% APR, too)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *pitseleh*)
    That's really frustrating. Though at least the second loan option is open for us, which is a lot more than you get with most second degrees (and without the 5% APR, too)...
    Well if you think about it even the full, mature student maintenance loans will not be anywhere near enough for living and tuition and they'll be 9% on those! I really hope they don't retrospectively apply the interest to previous loans, if they do I can't pay it off in my working life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winter_mute)
    Well if you think about it even the full, mature student maintenance loans will not be anywhere near enough for living and tuition and they'll be 9% on those! I really hope they don't retrospectively apply the interest to previous loans, if they do I can't pay it off in my working life!
    Hm, as far as I know, the APR on SLC loans is about 1.5%, not 9%?

I agree it's not enough (and I'm one of those old people who gets the full mature student whack), but like I say, it could be worse if I was doing a second degree that didn't allow you to take out a second loan (i.e. most of them). I'll just have to work a lot in the holidays, is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *pitseleh*)
    Hm, as far as I know, the APR on SLC loans is about 1.5%, not 9%?

I agree it's not enough (and I'm one of those old people who gets the full mature student whack), but like I say, it could be worse if I was doing a second degree that didn't allow you to take out a second loan (i.e. most of them). I'll just have to work a lot in the holidays, is all.
    Edit: Ignore me, I was thinking about a different acronym. The interest is 9% though!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Given me food for thought.

May I ask why you would give up a possibly enviable job in the RHS of an Airbus?

Did you become a pilot on a whim?
    Flying has always been a passion of mine, since I was very young indeed. Unfortunately, the industry is experiencing an absolutely massive readjustment. Pilots are seen by management as no more than expensive necessities. Salaries, terms and conditions etc. are being massively eroded, and job security is non-existent. There are people who are prepared to PAY tens of thousands of pounds to do my job: that is, people are prepared to pay airlines for the privilege of sitting in the RHS of an airliner. It is very sad, but I can't see myself getting a decent career out of aviation unfortunately, and I'm desperate to get out before I'm too old to do anything else! I can see 30 looming large on the horizon!

What I was asking was whether the OP had thought about 5-year degrees, since plenty of graduates seem not to contemplate them at all.
    To pick up on this point: I don't think I've seen a five year degree that asks for anything less than a 2:1 for graduates. It was this that was stopping me from thinking seriously about five year courses. Is this a standard that is rigorously applied, or can a 2:2 in the first degree be mitigated by UKCAT/GAMSAT, relevant work experience etc.? Basically I am wondering if my application would even make it past the first sift!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A320jamie)
    To pick up on this point: I don't think I've seen a five year degree that asks for anything less than a 2:1 for graduates. It was this that was stopping me from thinking seriously about five year courses. Is this a standard that is rigorously applied, or can a 2:2 in the first degree be mitigated by UKCAT/GAMSAT, relevant work experience etc.? Basically I am wondering if my application would even make it past the first sift!
    It can on GAMSAT, Penninsula, SGUL and Nottingham would take you; however I believe Nottingham are raising the bar for 2:2 students. You could take a masters, and this would re-open you up to the 2:1 uni's.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.