Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How much would you spend on a 1st date? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was getting a take away pizza from a restaurant this evening (four seasons if you must know) and this question occured to me. I know lots of girls are going to say £0! You should never go dutch on a first date, right? Incidentally isn't 'go dutch' one of those phrases that sounds much more interesting than it actually is?

So guys, do you go somewhere expensive - make a good impression. I'm talking about a restaurant where it may be £15+ for a main course. Maybe £60 bill between you. Of course that may well impress her, but won't she then be expecting that all the time? If you then suggest somewhere more affordable (£10 main course) she might wonder if you weren't just being 'flash' the first time. I reckon somewhere fairly modest may be best at first.

ReputationRep:
    I´m Dutch. That is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dutchmeister)
    I´m Dutch. That is all.
    edit: Removed (caused too much offense). Nobody got it was a joke :rolleyes: But then again it is the internet...
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Or maybe a first date shouldn't necessarily be a meal?

A meal always seems rather overly formal to me. I'd much rather just go out to a nice pub for a few drinks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F.I)
    I'm female. That is all.
    No way! What´s next, a Dutch female? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I'd feel awkward if someone took me somewhere expensive on a first date and wouldn't let me pay half of it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronda)
    I'd feel awkward if someone took me somewhere expensive on a first date and wouldn't let me pay half of it..
    What if they allowed you to pay the whole bill

ReputationRep:
    don't take 'em anywhere expensive the first time, what if she turns out to be a *****.

you just want somewhere where you can chat

ReputationRep:
    You flash yo paper on the 1st date and you set a dangerous precedent..

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whether to say :afraid: or :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    You flash the paper on the 1st date and you set a dangerous precedent..
    Quite right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick Travis)
    What if they allowed you to pay the whole bill
    Make them go somewhere less expensive! haha I just let my company impress them

ReputationRep:
    Just some regular chill out business. Just maybe a drink and a piece of cake a coffee shop maybe? If you feel like something alcoholic maybe you could go to a quiet bar for a few drinks (a chillout bar would be a good idea, or even a jazz bar if you wanna get your Miles Davis on). None of that go out for a meal garbage. That's some 1930s black and white movie 'treat her with some flowers, chocolates and sweet talk' ****. Gotta keep it real down to earth and honest. Don't be taking advice from no brachiosaurus back in my day type dudes. Don't be flashing your paper of you can't keep on flashing your paper.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Dutch female, that is all.

ReputationRep:
    Last 2 girls I dated (in a traditional sense) were both lasses that came to look around a flat I'd just finished decorating that my band was staying in near where I lived (but elected not to/couldn't move in) - so I guess I was in something of a position of authority (proxy landlord)..

..on both 1st dates they came to me (zero transport cost to me), both were eager to get the drinks in (be my guest), and seemed to be the ones getting more drinks in (again be my guest), and both were good (bad) girls and came home with me :devil:

Total spend: <£7 a pop

In the immortal words of Mr. A. Partridge.. "CASHBACK!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeterno)
    I'm a Dutch female, that is all.
    :rofl: :yy:

ReputationRep:
    £8 on a couple of Roofies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jblackmoustache)
    Just some regular chill out business. Just maybe a drink and a piece of cake a coffee shop maybe? If you feel like something alcoholic maybe you could go to a quiet bar for a few drinks (a chillout bar would be a good idea, or even a jazz bar if you wanna get your Miles Davis on). None of that go out for a meal garbage. That's some 1930s black and white movie 'treat her with some flowers, chocolates and sweet talk' ****. Gotta keep it real down to earth and honest. Don't be taking advice from no brachiosaurus back in my day type dudes. Don't be flashing your paper of you can't keep on flashing your paper.
    Rep for the miles davis reference :ahee:
    i also agree with you - i think? - apart from the brachiosaurus. It's an awesome word but slightly irrelevant aha

ReputationRep:
    My first date with my boyfriend was drinks in a beer garden on a sunny saturday afternoon, then a few more drinks and a bit of nightlife and dancing.....best date i ever had!

But i agree, a meal is awkward...attempting not to talk with your mouth full is a nightmare! In all fairness though, you should enjoy the company your with, rather than the price of the meal!

ReputationRep:
    it makes me feel really awkward if guys take me somewhere expensive and don't let me pay half really soon on in the relationship!
    a meal seems pretty formal for a first day
    few cocktails is easier

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.