Turn on thread page Beta

How much would you spend on a 1st date? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dutchmeister)
    No way! What´s next, a Dutch female? :eek:
    Im still recovering from the effects of one of those! Not in a good way either. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    If the first date isn't of a certain standard, I won't be seeing the guy again.

I'm not here to date losers.
    ...isn't the point in a first date that you're supposed to get to know each other better, not find out how rich the guy is?

I dunno, I guess I'm an old romantic like that.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why it has to be expensive to be honest. My first date with my last boyfriend, we went to pizza hut (split the bill) and went to the cinema (split the bill) (though he did offer to pay but I was having none of that) and it was a pretty darn good night. The food was great, film was good, we had plenty of time to talk, great night for around £15-20 each.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    I agree that somewhere expensive would be too awkward. Especially if he's made it clear that he's paying because then instantly my eyes would go for the cheapest thing on the menu. A nice pub meal is always good and the most have a 2 for £10 deal. Then afterwards, you can go into the bar for drinks and chatting
    Sounds like a good night/evening that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick Travis)
    I was getting a take away pizza from a restaurant this evening (four seasons if you must know) and this question occured to me. I know lots of girls are going to say £0! You should never go dutch on a first date, right? Incidentally isn't 'go dutch' one of those phrases that sounds much more interesting than it actually is?

So guys, do you go somewhere expensive - make a good impression. I'm talking about a restaurant where it may be £15+ for a main course. Maybe £60 bill between you. Of course that may well impress her, but won't she then be expecting that all the time? If you then suggest somewhere more affordable (£10 main course) she might wonder if you weren't just being 'flash' the first time. I reckon somewhere fairly modest may be best at first.
    Bro, there are so many things wrong with your current ways of thinking in your post....

1) You do NOT need to spend any money on women in order to get to know them, have sex with them or start dating them. My personal rule is no spending any money whatsoever on any girl until AFTER she's demonstrated interest/we've had sex/we're dating.

2) DON'T go out for dinner as a first date! That's way too formal, cliched and pressured for a first date. You should meet for a cup of coffee and a chat to see if you're compatible as a first date'. That is more relaxed and light-hearted. Or just meet up and go for a walk and get to know each other. Going out to restaurants for dinner is for girls you're ALREADY dating or for girls you're having sex with as a treat now and again. Going for dinner is NOT something to be done as a 'first date'.

3) If you simply want just sex from a girl, you don't need to bother going on dates at all. You can simply bypass the whole dating part and simply meet up and have sex. Dates are really only if you want to get to know someone with the view to some sort of relationship (be that monogamous or non-monogamous).

If you buy into the bull**** conditioning of 'taking women out for dinner' and paying the bill as a first date, you're going to waste a lot of time and money. Also, a lot of women use guys for free meals and attention, so by taking women out for dinner who you aren't dating/having sex with, you're going to attract a lot of women who are looking to use you and waste your time.

(Original post by Neil_K)
    Bro, there are so many things wrong with your current ways of thinking in your post....

1) You do NOT need to spend any money on women in order to get to know them, have sex with them or start dating them. My personal rule is no spending any money whatsoever on any girl until AFTER she's demonstrated interest/we've had sex/we're dating.

2) DON'T go out for dinner as a first date! That's way too formal, cliched and pressured for a first date. You should meet for a cup of coffee and a chat to see if you're compatible as a first date'. That is more relaxed and light-hearted. Or just meet up and go for a walk and get to know each other. Going out to restaurants for dinner is for girls you're ALREADY dating or for girls you're having sex with as a treat now and again. Going for dinner is NOT something to be done as a 'first date'.

3) If you simply want just sex from a girl, you don't need to bother going on dates at all. You can simply bypass the whole dating part and simply meet up and have sex. Dates are really only if you want to get to know someone with the view to some sort of relationship (be that monogamous or non-monogamous).

If you buy into the bull**** conditioning of 'taking women out for dinner' and paying the bill as a first date, you're going to waste a lot of time and money. Also, a lot of women use guys for free meals and attention, so by taking women out for dinner who you aren't dating/having sex with, you're going to attract a lot of women who are looking to use you and waste your time.
    I wouldn't date or have sex with a guy unless he'd treated me really well and splashed the case on at least a good date or two

ReputationRep:
    Split it, any girl who isn't willing to split the cost of a meal is probably just some gold digging whore, no better than a prostitute.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't date or have sex with a guy unless he'd treated me really well and splashed the case on at least a good date or two
    So you won't have sex with a guy unless they pay for things for you, you realise that pretty much makes you a prostitute right?

ReputationRep:
    Why should a guy have to buy his way into a woman's pants? I'm sorry, but I can't stand women who feel their sexual/romantic companionship is worth a cash price and I can't stand women who feel they are entitled to have money spent on them BEFORE they have had sex/started dating a guy just because they are female.

I only spend time with women who are genuinely interested in getting to know me and dating me/having sex with me.

I don't spend time with women who feel that a guy has to spend money on them in order to spend time with them. Those are manipulative women and I don't associate with those types.

I have no problem treating a girl to dinner who I'm dating/having sex with....but I would NEVER spend any money on a women BEFORE she's demonstrated genuine romantic/sexual interest in me.

In my world, a man and a woman can get to know each other without having to spend money on each other. And that's the way it should be, because it proves each party has genuine interest in the other, and is not just using them for financial favours, free gifts, flattering attention etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecca:Rose)
    My first date with my boyfriend was drinks in a beer garden on a sunny saturday afternoon, then a few more drinks and a bit of nightlife and dancing.....best date i ever had!

But i agree, a meal is awkward...attempting not to talk with your mouth full is a nightmare! In all fairness though, you should enjoy the company your with, rather than the price of the meal!
    makes sense..........

ReputationRep:
    It always depends on who asked... if she asked me out to go somewhere, then she would have suggested it.... usually 50:50 or if I really like her I'll pay. If I ask her out, then I pay for both of us........ movie + dinner is my favourite modus operandi for first dates. Picked it up during my time in America.

I don't like girls paying for me.... so

Not been on a first date for a long time though

As for how much to spend on a 1st date.... however much you both could comfortably afford I suppose.... personally if a girl asked me out to go to eat at a cheap junk place I'll decline her date. Usually I will tell her something along the lines of she would need to try harder

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't see me realistically spending more thhan 40 bucks; it would depend on what we were doing though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewiseone)
    ahem.

TITS OR GTFO.
    Ahem.

GTFO.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.