Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying Economics (Business Economics to be specific) with a year abroad which will happen in the 3rd year. To be honest i just picked it because the year abroad sounded really cool as i get to travel and experience life in other countries. Will it improve my employment prospects as the economy is now **** and nobody has a job? We've been sent info on the Universities available and the ones that appeal most to me are;

University of Toronto
    University of Stuttgart
    University of Vienna
    Christchurch University

I'd also like to do a Master's in Either Oxford, LSE, Bristol or Bath universities. I'm, aiming for a 1st although i think a 2:1 will be more realistic for me.
    The Math side is what i struggle with especially stats. The rest is alright i guess once i put effort in but Statistic is just IMPOSSIBLE!
    I was talking to a friend in the second year who said he'll finish his undergarduate, do a Master's and then just be done with it all. Will the year abroad be really worth it and will it be expensive?
    How long typically does a Master's degree last for and how much does it cost? Can you get a student loan to pay for it?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't you just try explaining to him that you don't want to have sex when you're on your period?

EDIT: sorry, wrong thread

ReputationRep:
    I applied for a year abroad with my MPhys physics degree at York.

When i went for my interview, I asked the guy "is it worth it" and he said there's two aspects to consider.

Firstly, from the academic stand point, you need to be fairly up to speed. It's not a good idea if you're struggling and can't adapt quickly because you're going to be placed in a completely different environment. (this next bit refers specifically to me. less so to you as you're not on a science course and your options are in anglophone countries). You also need to be sharp because you might end up speaking in a different language, although if you are wanting to go into research, international experience and definitely a language are valuable. In terms of the pay-off, you can say you've spent a year abroad, learned a foreign language, spent time getting to know a foreign culture, worked with a variety of people, and it's definitely something to put on a CV that will make you stand out more.

There's also the social considerations. From the social stand point (as in the entire experience/fun/drunkenness/chance to meet new people etc.) go for it 100%. It will help with your development as a person, widen your horizons and you will enjoy it.

He then told me he spends a lot of his time abroad on research projects, and it is the one aspect of his job he really loves.

If you think you're up to scratch, then definitely go for it.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds brilliant! I can't offer much concrete advice, but by coincidence all four of the Universities you listed are in places I have always been very interested in. Linguistically, German shouldn't pose too much of a problem and I guess for a career in Business Economics, German experience should be worth an awful lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayTeeKay)
    I applied for a year abroad with my MPhys physics degree at York.

When i went for my interview, I asked the guy "is it worth it" and he said there's two aspects to consider.

Firstly, from the academic stand point, you need to be fairly up to speed. It's not a good idea if you're struggling and can't adapt quickly because you're going to be placed in a completely different environment. (this next bit refers specifically to me. less so to you as you're not on a science course and your options are in anglophone countries). You also need to be sharp because you might end up speaking in a different language, although if you are wanting to go into research, international experience and definitely a language are valuable. In terms of the pay-off, you can say you've spent a year abroad, learned a foreign language, spent time getting to know a foreign culture, worked with a variety of people, and it's definitely something to put on a CV that will make you stand out more.

There's also the social considerations. From the social stand point (as in the entire experience/fun/drunkenness/chance to meet new people etc.) go for it 100%. It will help with your development as a person, widen your horizons and you will enjoy it.

He then told me he spends a lot of his time abroad on research projects, and it is the one aspect of his job he really loves.

If you think you're up to scratch, then definitely go for it.
    Hmmm very helpful. What do you mean when you say "from the academic standpoint you need to be fairly up to speed"
    The CV enhacing aspect of it sounds great and so does meeting new people and getting drunk with them. The aspect of being abroad and working in new places and travelling all the time is definetly something i'm very interested in. I'm not too keen on being stuck in an office all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barefootfiona)
    It sounds brilliant! I can't offer much concrete advice, but by coincidence all four of the Universities you listed are in places I have always been very interested in. Linguistically, German shouldn't pose too much of a problem and I guess for a career in Business Economics, German experience should be worth an awful lot!
    Hey there yes German isn't too hard. I went there on a school trip in year 8 in 2004. It was SOO GOOOOD and i had real friends back then Unlike now I still remeber some German and could hold a simple conversation. It would also be great to ass German to the two languages i already speak in my CV

ReputationRep:
    Its totally worth to spend a year abroad. Maybe not from an academic point of view, but if u go to another country it will be an awesome experience for you

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking into this for my final year. I know people who have completed study abroad who have nothing bad to say abou it whatsoever. Just go for it. You'll get to experience a new life, a new culture, meet so many new people, and generally just have an awesome time.

The amount of funding you can acquire for study abroad is normally quite remarkable too - Student Finance continue to support you, you don't normally pay any tuition fees, certainly not to the host country, and your university will probably offer a lot in the way of scholarships, grants, bursaries, and loans. Plus, even countries like NZ are 5x cheaper in terms of food, public transport etc. Have looked at unis there myself.

ReputationRep:
    If you struggle with the maths/statistics at undergraduate level then you are going to really struggle to do a masters at Oxford or LSE. I think Bath/Bristol might be a better choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silver Arrow)
    Hmmm very helpful. What do you mean when you say "from the academic standpoint you need to be fairly up to speed"
    The CV enhacing aspect of it sounds great and so does meeting new people and getting drunk with them. The aspect of being abroad and working in new places and travelling all the time is definetly something i'm very interested in. I'm not too keen on being stuck in an office all the time.
    I think all he meant is that it's not a good idea if you're struggling to meet your targets.
    I am a bit miffed Warwick don't do years abroad with physics. I wouldn't mind gettin into York just to study at Heidelberg. From what I was told, if you're given the opportunity to study abroad, dont let it pass. You sound up for it so I'd say definitely go for it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 28, 2011

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.