Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesse_Mac)
    ..saying 'some gay parents might want gay children, some won't.'
    Aye(?).. so how does "there's some association between homosexuality and pedophilia" follow from this statement?

ReputationRep:
    not wanting your children to be gay, and not accepting their sexuality are two different things; im pretty sure the majority would rather they be straight (reasons being they will lead a less discriminated life, maybe want grandchildren) however only the minority would not accept them being gay

ReputationRep:
    I really, honestly couldn't give a crap. I'd be proud tbh.

ReputationRep:
    it completely depends how your parents are, its subjective

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Aye(?).. so how does "there's some association between homosexuality and pedophilia" follow from this statement?
    Oh, you're conceding that point? Excellent.

I don't stand strongly behind what I said after, it was kinda a shock example to try and get people to think about their choice of words. If I wanted someone else to be gay it would either be a romantic interest or wanting to confide in them. As the child is going to be too young to be much good as a parent's councillor, I'd say inferring I want a child to be gay is equivalent to saying I'm attracted to that child. Which is commonly known as..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesse_Mac)
    I don't stand strongly behind what I said after, it was kinda a shock example to try and get people to think about their choice of words. If I wanted someone else to be gay it would either be a romantic interest or wanting to confide in them. As the child is going to be too young to be much good as a parent's councillor, I'd say inferring I want a child to be gay is equivalent to saying I'm attracted to that child. Which is commonly known as..
    Imagine that a heterosexual woman told you that she hoped her son grew up to be heterosexual. Would you seriously assume that she meant from this that she was attracted to him? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    deep down no child wants their parents to be gay, or else they wouldn't, in hindsight, exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poshbloke)
    deep down no child wants their parents to be gay, or else they wouldn't, in hindsight, exist.
    Homosexuals have children too (adoption, artificial insemination, from previous hetero relationships, etc).

ReputationRep:
    Deep down, I'd just want my kid(s) to be happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellymichelle)
    i realise i said i wasnt going to respond to this but i couldnt resist, because i think its hilarious at the fact you so naively said that when many animals are in fact gay or bisexual idiot
    it's true that animals often try to mate with others of same sex. but i wouldn't call them gay - i think it's more a case of them being confused!
    i don't think you'd find an animal that would have sex with others of same sex but actively refuse if of the opposite sex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redreynard)
    it's true that animals often try to mate with others of same sex. but i wouldn't call them gay - i think it's more a case of them being confused!
    i don't think you'd find an animal that would have sex with others of same sex but actively refuse if of the opposite sex.
    Then there's a lot of 'confusion' going on, given that over 1000 other species have been observed practicing homosexuality (when heterosexuality was an option)! (citations on p. 10 of this thread)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BPhilHopeful)
    Not everyone has to reproduce for a species to grow. And no worries, we have an overpopulation problem, so we won't die out.

Hundreds of other species have been observed practicing homosexual behaviors. There's nothing special about humans.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...new-study.html
    http://www.livescience.com/1125-homo...ls-closet.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...exual_behavior
    etc...
    http://www.news-medical.net/news/2006/10/23/20718.aspx
    So what, baby animals just pop up out of the grounr or are delivered by a stalk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redreynard)

elephants

ReputationRep:
    It's not about not wanting a gay child. Naturally, most parents expect their children to have offspring at some point. It does not matter if one out of possibly three of my future children turns out gay or not interested in having children - I would appreciate one gay child as I would any other. But all of them, no. I would not be able to accept all of my children being gay, because that guarantees (unless they have some sort of surrogate or IVF treatment) that they are the last generation of the family - and in my view, I would have failed as a parent - not that homosexuality is the result of bad parenting, but that I couldn't raise any of my own children to start their own families.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    Deep down, I'd just want my kid(s) to be happy.
    What a surprise.

ReputationRep:
    Some parents may have great homophobic sentiments, but it's the total minority who will actually disown their child for being gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.I.)
    So what, baby animals just pop up out of the grounr or are delivered by a stalk?
    Not every member of a population has to give birth for the population to grow, and not every member of a population is homosexual. Where is the problem for you?

ReputationRep:
    It is true. Firstly because if my child was gay, I'd know just how much crap they'd have to put up with. Secondly, it's the issue about grandkids isn't it. I'm not a Mum yet, but once you are I think it's the next natural step once they've flown the nest to expect to have lovely little grandkids to look after. I know there are ways around it, adoption, surrogacy etc; but it's not the same as being there every step of the way with scans, the birth etc.

That being said, I also think that most parents just want their kids to be happy. I'd prefer for mine to be able to tell me that I was gay and for me to never set eyes on a grandchild than for them to pretend to be something they're not just to please society.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be honest, I find homosexual sex a little gross. A person's sexuality does not affect how much I like them but the idea of my child having gay sex is ick. Also I would like grandchildren.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reisen)
    I'll be honest, I find homosexual sex a little gross. A person's sexuality does not affect how much I like them but the idea of my child having gay sex is ick. Also I would like grandchildren.
    The idea of your child having ANY sex isn't gross?!

I'm not a parent yet, but I wouldn't want to think of my little cousins having sex, so I can only imagine how I'd feel about my own children!

Please remember people, homosexuals have children too!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.