Turn on thread page Beta

Deep down, no parent wants their kid to be gay watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BPhilHopeful)
    The idea of your child having ANY sex isn't gross?!

I'm not a parent yet, but I wouldn't want to think of my little cousins having sex, so I can only imagine how I'd feel about my own children!

Please remember people, homosexuals have children too!
    It would be MORE gross and more gay couples than straight couples don't have children. I think i'd be more concerned whether my kids were good people but I would definintely rather they were straight than gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reisen)
    It would be MORE gross and more gay couples than straight couples don't have children. I think i'd be more concerned whether my kids were good people but I would definintely rather they were straight than gay.
    Wouldn't it just make more sense for you to concentrate on raising them to be good people who want children, since those seem to be your priorities?

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't it just make more sense for you to concentrate on raising them to be good people who want children, since those seem to be your priorities?
    yes of course but that dosn't mean i can't care about other aspects of their life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reisen)
    yes of course but that dosn't mean i can't care about other aspects of their life
    wouldn't you worry about alienating them and failing to enjoy their goodness and their children if you care about their sexuality?

ReputationRep:
    I genuinely wouldn't mind personally, but knowing other people's thoughts about homosexuality, I would be concerned for them having to deal with bullies and discrimination etc. Still, if I had a child who was gay, I wouldn't wish that they were straight, just like I don't wish I was straight rather than bisexual, even with the difficulties.
    x

ReputationRep:
    I'd love it if I had a gay kid. haha.

ReputationRep:
    wouldn't you worry about alienating them and failing to enjoy their goodness and their children if you care about their sexuality?
    No I would love them just as much, treat them exactly the same and support them however possible. If they're gay they're gay, i'd just rather they weren't but it's not a huge issue for me. Sorry if i'm offending anyone I just thought I might as well be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I hate the stupid "No i want my kids to be straight because i want grand kids" argument. Having children in order to one day have grand children = selfish and a stupid idea!

Why do you need to have grand children to live your life through anyway there's lots of other things you can go and do!

ReputationRep:
    i think i'd actually like it :P it would only upset me if they didn't want kids (if they were an only child) cus i'd love grandkids and homosexuality doesnt bother me lol then again, i'm planning to have 4 kids so atleast one of them's gotta pop me out a sprog XD i reckon some of parents who accect their children being lgbt probs 'deep down' aren't ok the with it possibly cus they think they wont get grandkiddies ^^

ReputationRep:
    I agree with OP. Not because all parents are homophobic, but because it makes life a whole lot easier for the parents as well as the kid. The kid won't have to suffer abuse from peers, the parents won't have to have awkward conversations with the kid. Two hetero parents wouldn't really understand what the kid is going through so they would rather not have to face that scenario.

Nothing to do with homophobia at all.

ReputationRep:
    i think it's all a matter of your natural instincts, for straight people it's easy to argue that it's always been like that and change scares them, parents should support their children no matter what but some are just more old fashioned than others and there's nothing wrong with that, but i really hate how people treat gays, bisexuals lesbians etc...

ReputationRep:
    wow thats awkward lol just posted this without seeing d0rkg!rl's one haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~D0rkG!rl~)
    I hate the stupid "No i want my kids to be straight because i want grand kids" argument. Having children in order to one day have grand children = selfish and a stupid idea!

Why do you need to have grand children to live your life through anyway there's lots of other things you can go and do!
    i do agree with ur statement (even after what i just posted lol) if parents are mad bent on grandkids, thats wrong but i can sympathise if it's like their only child and they want them carry out the legacy, be grandparents blah blah blah kinda thing lol but then again thats where adoption, sperm donors and surrogate mothers come in, if they and their kid(s) want babies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~D0rkG!rl~)

If you want kids, then your probably want gradnchildren too, right? Whilst not having grandchildren wouldn't be the end of the world - you're right in that there's loads of other ways to be happy - you would rather have grandchildren than not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    If you want kids, then your probably want gradnchildren too, right? Whilst not having grandchildren wouldn't be the end of the world - you're right in that there's loads of other ways to be happy - you would rather have grandchildren than not.
    Well, the 21st century has seen the proliferation of other ways to have children (and grand~) than simply putting a penis into a vagina..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Well, the 21st century has seen the proliferation of other ways to have children (and grand~) than simply putting a penis into a vagina..
    Would you want that more than the time-honoured way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    Would you want that more than the time-honoured way?
    I couldn't care less, to be honest.

If I have children any other way than the biological one it wouldn't make me any less of a father, and anyone of that opinion knows where to stick it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesse_Mac)
    Oh, you're conceding that point? Excellent
    I think I understand the confusion now – what I said means, in the first instance, that some gay parents will be fine with their kids being gay/bi-curious, the inference here is that they will ‘want’ them to be 'gay' e.g. explore their sexuality if the feeling takes them/be openly gay, if indeed they are that way inclined, rather than closet

It’s also possible (if less probable) to imagine gay parents who think the world/their community would be better off if there were more homosexuals in it however, and by that virtue (a minority) might perhaps literally want (in the more affirmative sense) at least one of their kids to turn out gay.. or indeed in their own image, to include this particular characteristic, again improbable but still plausible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    I couldn't care less, to be honest.

If I have children any other way than the biological one it wouldn't make me any less of a father, and anyone of that opinion knows where to stick it.
    Meh, I'd rather not get test tubes and other people involved. It obviously doesn't affect how good a parent someone is, but ideally, I'd rather not have any issues.

ReputationRep:
    I genuinely don't care what sexuality my kids have.
    I'm bisexual myself so if I'm honest it'd be kind of hypocritical of me to judge my child based on their sexuality.
    Whoever they love, it's up to them, I don't care if it's male or female.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.