Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Deep down, no parent wants their kid to be gay Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by xarcul)
    Deep down, no parent wants their kid to be gay.

How far do you think this is true? How many parents would be appalled at their children coming out, and how many are completely fine with homosexuality but still know things would be far, far easier if it wasn't the case.

If you had children and had the choice of them being straight or gay, would you opt for straight, or would you genuinely not mind in the slightest either way?
    Deep down no parent wants to put their child through pain and hurt because of their own selfish wants.

ReputationRep:
    Probably.

I don't want my children to be gay - life is harder and more difficult (generally) for gays, and they have to deal with extra issues and problems; why would I want that for my child?

If they were gay then whatever, I'd still love them the same, it doesn't effect my life.. but I wouldn't want them to be gay, no. If I had the choice, they would be straight.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, that's a load of *******s.
    Any loving parent should accept their child for who they are, gay or otherwise.
    That's just extending one person's feelings towards homosexuality and trying to say that everyone feels it. Rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it homophobic to say you would rather have straight children?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ErinLeigh)
    My mum loves the fact that I'm gay, now she has a cause to defend.

I think she was getting bored with her life until I came out. I did her a favour really.
    I don't think your gay, I think your confused or attention seeking. It seems more and more young females are coming out, its almost a fashion statement these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [Shadowplay])
    What if they both turn out to be gay!?
    Then you will have to get rid of the both of them

ReputationRep:
    I'd be thrilled if a child of mine was brave enough to come out. I have no desire to procreate and I think lack of grandchildren would be the main reason people might be upset. I genuinely would not care in the slightest.

If I told my parents I was gay I'm sure they'd support me entirely. My parents are awesome like that. Plus my brother's girlfriend is squeezing em out at a banging rate so if they did have a desperate desire for grandchildren (I'm not sure they did) she can fully make up for me =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riddle Me This)
    Whats wrong with adopting a child from this country :mad:
    Oh I see, you're a troll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xarcul)
    Deep down, no parent wants their kid to be gay.

How far do you think this is true? How many parents would be appalled at their children coming out, and how many are completely fine with homosexuality but still know things would be far, far easier if it wasn't the case.

If you had children and had the choice of them being straight or gay, would you opt for straight, or would you genuinely not mind in the slightest either way?
    I don't want gay children.

I want nice, normal, straight children.

I'd still love them if they were gay, but I would be disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    Well, many parents had better be prepared because the world is becoming more tolerable and intelligent - parents should love their children regardless of their sexuality.

If however, one's child turned out to be a serial killer, then that is something far more worrying than a little thing like their child being homosexual, bisexual, asexual etc!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Oh I see, you're a troll
    No I am serious. What is wrong with adopting a child from this country ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellymichelle)
    its not really up to you.

and to answer the OP,
    it really does depend
    i mean i know people that have been kicked out for being gay
    but i also know people who's parents couldnt care less.
    like mine for example.
    obviously i dont know if deep down they wouldnt prefer if i was straight but at the same time, they never changed in any way towards me.
    they werent surprised and they were supportive all through it.
    my girlfriends mum i think even likes having a gay daughter.
    its just each to their own i suppose.
    Well they have nothing to do with me and the familly if he is gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    I don't want gay children.

I want nice, normal, straight children.

I'd still love them if they were gay, but I would be disappointed.
    Oh stop being silly! - Heterosexuality is not normal!. Nothing is normal! Normal is relative - i.e. merely abiding by social norms.

Sexuality is minor - it should not make you view somebody differently.

Would you still be disappointed in that child if he/she were to be very successful in life? If yes, then you should not even be a parent.

ReputationRep:
    My guess is at least 99% of parents given a choice would pick straight, 0.9% no preference, 0.1% gay. Even though most parents wouldn't mind if their children were gay and would love them the same, being straight is easier for people because they do not have to face the predjudcies of others. I think if people were able to weigh up the options at birth and given a choice nearly everybody would opt for straight and assuming parents want the best for their kids that is what they generally hope for. Also, parents generally parents like the idea of having grandchildren and seeing a new generation in the family. That is before you get to the homophobic parents. There is nothing homophobic about saying I don't want my child to be gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.I.)
    Well they have nothing to do with me and the familly if he is gay.
    So compasionate, you must be one of those tolerant Muslims I keep hearing about.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want my child to be gay cos I know how hard it is.

Not that I want children

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    Oh stop being silly! - Heterosexuality is not normal!. Nothing is normal! Normal is relative - i.e. merely abiding by social norms.

Sexuality is minor - it should not make you view somebody differently.

Would you still be disappointed in that child if he/she were to be very successful in life? If yes, then you should not even be a parent.

Good effort, but you're going to have to try a little bit harder than that if you want me to rise to your bait
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I'd be a little disappointed if one of my kids were gay I must admit. Though I would never EVER tell them I was disappointed, and I wouldn't be disappointed IN THEM, I'd be disappointed that it had turned out that way, because they'd have a more difficult time if they wanted to have children for example, and I'm quite traditional to be honest, not to mention a Catholic, so it just wouldn't really fit into my neat little box. Yes, I realise neat little boxes probably don't matter, but there we go.

I'd always love them, forever, and support them, and all that jazz, but inwardly, yes I'd be a bit forlorn about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riddle Me This)
    So compasionate, you must be one of those tolerant Muslims I keep hearing about.
    I am not Muslim, there is nothing wrong with wanting my son to be straight.

ReputationRep:
    ..except a gay parent perhaps?

Mine are your typical faux-liberal middle class types who are very tolerant of just about anything/everything but deep down you know it's a 'not in my back yard' type of tolerance. They'd have been ****ing gutted if I turned out gay

They also tried to come across as totally cool when my sister was in a relationship with a black dude but I've seen retrospective hints that they were never really 100% about it

PC'ness rules the day but it's merely an artificial construct that amounts to glossing over the less 'acceptable' reality where most people are concerned - something that is often only exposed when it comes to the crunch..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.