Turn on thread page Beta

Deep down, no parent wants their kid to be gay watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's fair to say they don't want their kid to be gay. I think it's more like every parent would prefer their child to be straight, but still be accepting if they became gay. I don't think homophobia is that prevalant in British society these days, but obviously most people probably prefer if their child was straight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riddle Me This)
    I don't think your gay, I think your confused or attention seeking. It seems more and more young females are coming out, its almost a fashion statement these days.
    I don't think you really think that. I think you're confused or attention seeking. It seems more and more young people are questioning other people's sexuality, it's almost boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    Why is it homophobic to say you would rather have straight children?
    I think it depends on their justification of why they would rather the child were straight. If it is from fear the child will be discriminated against I don't think that is homophobic.

If a homosexual couple raise a child and want it to be also homosexual is that heterophobic? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    Oh stop being silly! - Heterosexuality is not normal!. Nothing is normal! Normal is relative - i.e. merely abiding by social norms.

Sexuality is minor - it should not make you view somebody differently.

Would you still be disappointed in that child if he/she were to be very successful in life? If yes, then you should not even be a parent.
    You could quite easily argue that heterosexuality is normal. Around 90% of people are heterosexual and it is therefore, by definition, the norm.

ReputationRep:
    I think being LGBT+ has its advantages too. It's definitely made me more tolerant of others, more conscious of the imbalances of power in society, more able to empathise with other minority groups, and more self-aware. It's also meant that I've discovered a lot of cultural things I wouldn't otherwise have discovered. Not that I'm saying straight people can't do all these things, but being LGBT+ automatically forces you to take a critical look at the people around you and the way they treat you.

I might actually find it hard to relate to a daughter of mine if she ended up being entirely heterosexual. Obviously I wouldn't love her any less, but I'm not heterosexual or cisgender personally, so I wouldn't be able to see the world from the perspective of someone who was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.I.)
    Well they have nothing to do with me and the familly if he is gay.
    notice how you said HE is gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.I.)
    I am not Muslim, there is nothing wrong with wanting my son to be straight.
    Your son will be what he wants to be, not what you want him to be.

This thread is full of bad parents in the making! :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ErinLeigh)
    I don't think you really think that. I think you're confused or attention seeking. It seems more and more young people are questioning other people's sexuality, it's almost boring.

Yes I do think that. Your carpet munching days will be over in a few years, and then you will look back at this little phase with embarressment.

If you wear skirts and high heels you are NOT a Lesbian and don't try to tell me otherwise

ReputationRep:
    No I wouldn't mind if my kid turned out to be gay, why would I?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    ..except a gay parent perhaps?
    Why do people say this? Do you think there's some association between homosexuality and pedophilia? I know you're not suggesting that, as it'd be absurd, but it's really the only way to interpret what you've wrote. I can't imagine a reason why person A would want person B to be of a particular sexual identity unless there was a sexual reason for it.

And I'm gay, if I were a parent I'd rather my child to be straight for the simple reason that I know things aren't as easy. I like to think most gay parents would put this simple fact before whatever it is you're suggesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xarcul)
    You could quite easily argue that heterosexuality is normal. Around 90% of people are heterosexual and it is therefore, by definition, the norm.
    The norm does not necessarily equal "good" or "right".

ReputationRep:
    my parents thought I was gay at one point, and when we talked about it they said they were relieved because although thinking that didn't change how they felt about me it meant that they would always be worried about me being a victim of discrimination. they also seemed relieved that the reason I hadn't told them was because there was nothing to tell rather than me being scared to tell them things.

ReputationRep:
    The norm does not necessarily equal "good" or "right".
    I'm glad we agree!

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely an 'easier' life being heterosexual. Take that however you may.

I would like my children to be heterosexual, ideally, though would love them just as much if they were to decide they lusted over their own team.

ReputationRep:
    Deep down, no parent wants their kid to be gay.

How far do you think this is true? How many parents would be appalled at their children coming out, and how many are completely fine with homosexuality but still know things would be far, far easier if it wasn't the case.

If you had children and had the choice of them being straight or gay, would you opt for straight, or would you genuinely not mind in the slightest either way?
    Deep down every parent is PARANOID about their child being gay, my mums obsessed with it, saying oooh its okay if you bring boys round we dont mind :facepalm: wtf shows how little she really knows me. Its just annoying how some parents expect you to have brought round 3 x 10^37 girls by my age, but Ive only ever brought 1 so she suspects me

I think its on the very edge now, in the next few years maybe therell stop being any real recognition of it, apart from bits of bullying here and there which will always exist. I just dont think that sort of sexuality is fully recognised by society yet. At least its not depicted in the media in the right ways yet.

Gay people are cool though. Went out in my home town one night with all hetero friends, went to 3 different places and they were dead and couldnt get served. Then went to a place flying the rainbow flag and it was slammin, really good night

ReputationRep:
    I think my parents wouldn't want me to be gay - they're not homophobic or anything, it's just I'm their only child.
    I guess I think they'd expect grandchildren and a son-in-law from me and I think they'd be a bit gutted if they didn't get that (I'm their only chance to have that after all)... but I'm sure they'd still support me if I were gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    No I wouldn't mind if my kid turned out to be gay, why would I?
    Because you'd be concerned that they would have to face undue prejudices throughout their life? Because you would worry that they would be unfairly ostracized by certain groups of people?

Would they not live a much easier life if they were straight?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riddle Me This)
    Yes I do think that. Your carpet munching days will be over in a few years, and then you will look back at this little phase with embarressment.

If you wear skirts and high heels you are NOT a Lesbian and don't try to tell me otherwise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellymichelle)
    notice how you said HE is gay.
    Exactly, not as fussed about a daughter.

Your son will be what he wants to be, not what you want him to be.

Yes, as wanting a normal son would make you a bad parent.....
    This thread is full of bad parents in the making! :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Around 90% 95% of people are heterosexual and it is therefore, by definition, the norm
    (Original post by Jesse_Mac)
    Why do people say this? Do you think there's some association between homosexuality and pedophilia?
    Wow, talk about putting words in my mouth! What I wrote means that some gay parents are likely to be fine with their kids being gay?

(Original post by Jesse_Mac)
    I'm gay, if I were a parent I'd rather my child to be straight for the simple reason that I know things aren't as easy
    I've heard this before and can empathise, would never be so bold as to suggest that all gay parents would be fine with their kids being gay! :rolleyes:

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.