Turn on thread page Beta

Deep down, no parent wants their kid to be gay watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xarcul)
    Deep down, no parent wants their kid to be gay.

How far do you think this is true? How many parents would be appalled at their children coming out, and how many are completely fine with homosexuality but still know things would be far, far easier if it wasn't the case.

If you had children and had the choice of them being straight or gay, would you opt for straight, or would you genuinely not mind in the slightest either way?
    what if the parents were gay?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind love him either way!

ReputationRep:
    If i had a son and he came out gay then (one would hope) i'd still love him regardless.

but ideally, he would be straight, just because we'd have more in common, and i think you'd be a lot closer :dontknow:

plus the whole carrying on the family thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.I.)
    Exactly, not as fussed about a daughter.

so if your son was gay you'd disown him but if your daughter was gay you wouldnt mind.
    its exactly the same only a different gender..how does that work.

fml. people like you are what makes me lose faith in humanity.

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty, I'd prefer mine to be straight. I'm not comparing it to X condition, but if someone said "would you want your kid to have X condition, i.e. be the 'odd one out' at school because of it, etc." I'd say no I wouldn't, but if i did have one, I wouldn't give them any less love and care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.I.)
    Exactly, not as fussed about a daughter.
    Ha! "Normal" does not necessarily mean "good", "right" or "best". How ridiculous. "Normal" virtually means "one of the masses", one who abides by social norms...

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's true

If you want to have kids, you'll want to have grandchildren too, as you get all the plus sides but none of the downsides. There's the chances they'll be bullied for being gay too. I'm not saying all parents want to kill any gay children they have, merely they would rather their children be straight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellymichelle)
    so if your son was gay you'd disown him but if your daughter was gay you wouldnt mind.
    its exactly the same only a different gender..how does that work.

fml. people like you are what makes me lose faith in humanity.
    There's a lot more stigma attached to male homosexuality than there is female homosexuality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [Shadowplay])
    What if they both turn out to be gay!?

With reference to your signature on grammar: You've no idea how many essays I've read that people have written on my course, and they've no idea about the difference between you're and your, and even there/their/they're.

I'm, like, really?!

#randomrant/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riddle Me This)
    If you wear skirts and high heels you are NOT a Lesbian and don't try to tell me otherwise
    I've slept with a girl while we were both wearing skirts. Where did that put us? Obviously we were bastions of heterosexuality the whole time :teehee:

(Original post by Hopple)
    If you want to have kids, you'll want to have grandchildren too, as you get all the plus sides but none of the downsides.
    Gay people can have children too, you know! People in this thread seem not to have noticed that

If you had children and had the choice of them being straight or gay, would you opt for straight, or would you genuinely not mind in the slightest either way?
    I could care less if he or she were gay and just as if he or she was straight there will be no underage sex under my roof! that is my only worry not whether or not my child is gay

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=kerily;30556286]I've slept with a girl while we were both wearing skirts. Where did that put us? Obviously we were bastions of heterosexuality the whole time :teehee:

QUOTE]

Nothing but a phase, juvenile experimention. I bet you winced the closer her muff ws to your face.

ReputationRep:
    Deep down, no parent wants their kid to be gay.
    Deep down, I don't think I could love a straight child.

P.S. I'm joking. It's a ridiculous statement! Good parents love their children unconditionally! Sure, my father hoped I'd be a lesbian so I wouldn't date men, whom he didn't trust. But deep down, it's the person one's child chooses, and not the partner's genitalia that matters. If I could choose, I would want a homosexual child, so that I could give that child a loving, supportive family.

ReputationRep:
    of course i'd want my child to be straight, and if i had a choice then without a DOUBT i'd pick straight, but you love your children no matter what, and if they turned out to be gay i'd be a little sad at first, but get over it.

ReputationRep:
    Of course parents don't want their child to be gay - I think its a natural instinct that when they think of their child, they don't want them to go through any unnecessary hardship.

Inevitably, being gay does come with suffering, and parents - as well as other people - know this.
    If I think of my child growing up, not understanding why they aren't like everyone else, being confused, thinking that they're strange/odd/broken, and being too frightened to tell anyone - It can be horrible, I don't want my child to have to go through that.

And thats just the personal struggle, before having to sum up the courage to tell your family and friends, face people who find out and have people treat them badly because of it.

Have any of you seen I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry?
    The moment when they leave the party and all the protesters are there - its awful. I don't want my kids to feel like that or ever be on the receiving end of that.

I'll raise my child knowing that whoever they are, I'll love them.
    If they tell me that they think they're gay, I'll tell them it's wonderful news; I'll be proud and hug them.
    I'd want to love them so much it made up for all the crap they went through before that point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riddle Me This)
    Nothing but a phase, juvenile experimention. I bet you winced the closer her muff ws to your face.
    Obviously the fact that I've been in love with the same girl for pretty close to four years now is also just a phase. :rolleyes: Ahh, take your trolling elsewhere. These arguments are boring.

ReputationRep:
    My mama wants me to be a lesbian in order to have ammunition/allies for an eternal childhood feud between her and my homophobic uncle. plus she feels it would make her 'quirky', a trait she's been striving for all her life!

ReputationRep:
    Fairly sure my parents wouldn't care, although both sets of grandparents, and some aunts and uncles, might not be quite so thrilled.

As it stands, I'm bi but don't intend to tell them until I'm in a seriousish relationship with a girl, as I do with guys.

I wouldn't really have a preference for my child, but I think that it would be easier for them to be straight or at least bi.

ReputationRep:
    I genuinely wouldn't care. Sexuality doesn't define a person, and if my children were good people, I would be proud of them no matter anything else.

ReputationRep:
    I would support them if they were gay but yeah I agree with your statement. Homosexuals face discrimination, etc and no parent wants their child to go through that.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.